Time for my upgrade, should I go Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy SIII?

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a bit of a 'good' problem here that I'm seeking the advice of the AndroidCentral community members to help me out with. That is, it's time for me to upgrade from my EVO 4G to a new phone. Which I've narrowed down my two choices to be the Galaxy SIII and the Galaxy Note 2. In fact when my contract expired this past July, I had decided I wanted the Galaxy SIII tho was waiting for the prices to come down and for any earth shattering issues to come to the surface. The months passed as I waited and that's when I learned about the Note 2 back in October and all of a sudden my previous set in stone choice had turned into a stiff competition between these two phones.

Since the Note 2 has come out, I've visited the Sprint store several times to get hands on comparisons between both phones. I've used both and love them both equally and really am unsure which phone to get. My indecisiveness comes down to the size of the Note 2 versus that of the SG3. Part of me wants to purchase the Note 2, although I'm genuinely wondering if the size of it borders on being "too big"? This has left me wondering about getting a case for it, and possible belt holster and wondering if this will be like walking with a handgun attached to my belt. That it sticks out so far. Will it be cumbersome in my hand, especially when holding and doing activities with one hand and thumb? The Galaxy S3 fits perfect and I have no issues with my thumb reaching the opposite side and corners when swyping and using apps. With the Note 2, the corners are slightly out of reach. Also I noticed that when I text in landscape mode (which I literally live off of with my EVO) that my thumbs were being stretched to hit keys like 'g', 'b', 'h', etc. I wonder if a case like the Seidio Surface will had much bulk making these thumb 'issues' more prominent?

Of course when using the Galaxy S3 I didn't have those issues due to the smaller size. However when using the S3, I noticed that the screen just didn't look as... beautiful as it does on the Note 2 when doing something as simple as webpage loading. Sadly the whole decision process has boiled down to screen size. It's large enough to be gorgeous, but also large enough to leave me wondering if it really is just... "too large".

To give everyone perspective here, I got the EVO 4G 2.5 years ago when it first came out and thought it was huge then, but I adapted quite well from my RAZR V3xx days. Because this phone will be at least 50% used for my business (customer calls, accessing internet when doing computer diagnostics at a clients location if their internet is down, etc) I'm concerned about the bulkiness of it. With my EVO, I use a Seidio Surface case & holster and always attach it to my belt/hip or pocket which works great as I never have just tossed it into a pocket. Tho will the Note 2 be too large to be conveniently tossed in a pocket if I need to do that? Will using a belt holster leave it so large that I'll be afraid it'll knock into something when walking in a store?

To add onto things, I've gotten some playful criticism from friends and my girlfriend about the shear size of the Note 2 and it being no different than having an obtrusively large tablet device to my head when talking. Then again they are iPhone people so I expect the banter. ;)

Anyway, the size really is my main concern. I know the Note 2 has a better processor than the S3 (quad vs dual core) and comes with the same basic amount of memory as the GS3 (16gb), tho with the GS3 having a 32GB option that leaves the door open for me to consider getting an S3 over the Note 2. I'm assuming the Note 2 will have a 32gb option but it'll be so far down the road it's not worth waiting... or will there be no 32GB option?

Lastly, but most importantly, what has everyone else's experience with the Note 2 vs the GS3 been like? I'm looking for as much user input as possible.

Thanks!

Brad

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Both perform well. Both look good. The S3 is big and the Note 2 is bigger.

I had the S3 and moved to the Note 2 without any difficulty. I would say that both are with considering. I went to the Note 2 for size. With my usage a 7" phone/tablet = ideal

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

orgelbau

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
No doubt that the Note 2 is large when compared to the average device. I had the S3 but ultimately exchanged it for the Note 2 and couldn't be happier with my decision. In fact, my wife liked my Note 2 so much better than her S3 that we exchanged hers for a N2 as well. She's very petite and has no problems using her Note 2.

Basically, everything that I didn't like about the S3 was fixed with the N2 with the added bonus of the larger screen and S-Pen. I had specific qualms about the S3's display quality and problems with its signal reception. Not so with the N2. Signal strength is much better than what I experienced with the S3, and it certainly has the finest Super AMOLED display produced by any company to date. Don't buy into the ppi resolution hype. Your eyes will tell you which is cleaner, more color accurate, and easier to read. Also, the Note 2 is noticeably faster and smoother than the S3.

In general, phones are growing in size, as are their overall usefulness as well-rounded communication and entertainment devices. 12 months from now the 5-inch display will be an accepted reality, and virtually no one with find it too large or out-of-place.

At this time, the Note 2 is the apex of available technology, the S3 is not. Size does matter. Size in this case yields a better user experience. I find that the Note 2 is a wiser choice moving ahead.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It would be hard for me to not recommend the Note 2 to anyone looking for a new smartphone. It has been the greatest experience for me. But I have also had the GS3 and had a very good experience with that device as well. I would say if you have plans to use the S pen often then the Note 2 is great. But if you don't plan to use it at all then get the S3 and save yourself some money and space in your pants.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

Woobag

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have come to the Note 2 from an iphone. I got fed up with Apple just producing another iteration of the same design and was really impressed with the S3. The screen looked fantastic and the phone just looked so good after the iphone. Then I saw the Note 2 and new that was what I was after. Sure it's a little bigger than the S3 but the SPen is a game changer for me, I just find it so useful.
People will comment on the size but that doesn't bother me and the more they see it the more they (usually iphone users) get used to it and are impressed with it's features.
It fits in my pocket just about OK.
If the note taking ability and the S Pen are not important, then I would go for an S3, but otherwise it's the Note 2 all the way,

Simon

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the GS3 for about 5 months, went back to an iPhone 4s for about 45 days, now on to the N2. (iPhone was a work thing) When I first saw the N2 I thought there was no way I would EVER buy a phone that big. The GS3 was a perfect size in my mind. You already mentioned the key advantages of the N2 in being more ahead of the curve from a technology standpoint. So that part's a no-brainer. I have always worn my phone in a belt clip holster (Otterbox Defender), and this one is no different. I was afraid it would get in the way more often, but it really doesn't.

I have had this phone for 8 days and I have completely gotten used to the size. As a matter of fact, the GS3 looks small now and the iPhone looks more like a toy. My suggestion is this; buy it somewhere with a flexible exchange policy. I'm not sure what the Sprint store is, but Best Buy has a 30 day exchange policy with no restocking fees. Try the N2 and give it a good week to get used to it. Make sure you get a case for it. Best Buy actually has a Platinum (brand) case with a belt clip holster that I used waiting for my OB. If after a week it's too big, exchange it for the GS3. My feeling is you won't need to, but at least you have the flexibility to do so. BTW, Best Buy will price match too, even with Amazon provided they have it in stock. Just print it out and show them. They may verify it, but it's worth it to save additional $$.

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies all. The S-Pen (or any stylus for that matter) is something I've never really used before. Mainly because the one time I did use this cheap stylus on my EVO and Acer A500, it was a pen with a large rubberized 'bubble' at the head of it. Both the phone and tablet responded slowly when using it. Draw Something is a perfect example. I'd draw a line with the stylus and the actual line drawing on the screen was noticeably lagging behind my actual movements. Needless to say that had kind of turned me off to stylus's, then again I was sure it was a technology/hardware limitation in those two devices. So using a stylus has not been on my priority list of important things in a phone... although I had wondered last night if that would be a good replacement for carrying a notepad with me taking customer notes...?

The other thing mentioned above was that after using the Note 2, the GS3 seems smaller... and it does! That was something standing out to me at first that I couldn't put my finger on. But I first demo'd the Note2 and then when picking up up the GS3 demo, it seemed much smaller, even tho it's significantly larger than my EVO screen wise while the EVO is twice as thick as both of the phones. The Note2's screen also seemed to of a slightly better clarity but I didn't know if that was my eyes playing tricks on me or what.

Lastly, I didn't realize Best Buy did price matching with an online retailer like Amazon. What's the best buy policy for price matching and how much does a person 'get back' from them in the transaction? The nearest best buy is over an hour away and I don't frequent them often so I'm not aware of many of their store policies. I did however see the thread on the forums last night after posting this that someone did in fact pricematch with Amazon. The price was something else that made me gun-shy to pull the trigger on buying it since the Sprint website has it for $299 and at best, other deals I'd found were maybe $50 off. Amazonwireless has a new account with the phone for $99 and upgraded again with phone is $199. Enough to make me say it's a deal that is too good all the way around.

Any other input? Thanks all!!

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Ive gone back and forth and even returned the Note 2 to BestBuy once. Ultimately I decided to stop being b*tch about the size and just enjoy the phone. As good as the GS3 is, and its DARN good, the N2 is that much better. I didnt think I would use the s-pen but I use it pretty often. The screen is awesome, not just bigger than the GS3, but all around better at color production.

The size will take getting used to, but you will learn to love it and typing on the keyboard is so easy.

I'd recommend the N2, but it might be worth the drive to BestBuy to take advantage of their great return policy in case you change your mind. Call first to make sure that they have the color you want. They will match Amazon wireless price for sure. Get on it!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy's policy is that the item must be in stock and ready to ship from an online retailer, so make sure that it is before making the trip. Also, like Bawalker says, call ahead to make sure they have the one you want in stock. Bringing the printed Amazon Wireless listing is a good idea too.

Their return policy is the best around IMO when it comes to phones. I am a Reward Zone Silver Member, which extends my return policy to 60 days. Last year it was 45 days and I returned / exchanged 5 phones during that time. They did get a little testy the 5th time, but they still did it, and quite frankly I was being a little b***ch about deciding on a phone last year. The normal return policy is 30 days and no restocking fee. Please keep in mind that Sprint may have a different policy, which means you could still be locked in to a new contract if you returned after Sprint's return policy timeframe. EX. VZ is 14 days. I could still return after 14 days at BB, but my upgrade would be gone and I would be committed for another 2 years. Exchanges are perfectly fine though, up until the 30 day period.

I hope this gives you a good explanation.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The GN2 is more well rounded device. Yes bigger but better in almost every way. If you can stand the size, go with the GN2. One additional thing is the battery life on my GN2 is unbelievable. My S3 is out by 5:00 pm- a big difference in my usage patterns. I like the screen better too and not the size but to colors etc.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if this was posted in the S3 forum the OP would have gotten the same response. But I second everyone here saying Note 2 is a better choice. I had the S3 since first day it went on sale. I purchased Note 2 when it came out and sold S3 on ebay. Similar to what csl810 said, everything I disliked about the S3 was fixed on the Note 2. For me it took about 2 weeks to get used to the size. My wife on the other hand was comfortable with it from day 1. Now when I look at the S3 or any other phone, it seems as though they are too small. Especially typing in portrait; for those with fat fingers like me, Note 2 makes typing easier.

orgelbau

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
In the S3 forums size is the main detractor along with weight and pixel density. Size choice is a personal preference, weight is just a result of the gargantuan dimensions (really doesn't seem too heavy to me), and pixel density is affected by improved RGB pixel arrangement and the fact thatit isspread out over a larger area... relative resolution is about the same. There is really no other "fault" to be found with the Note 2. It is interesting that the performance difference is glossed over in other forms. There clearly is a noticeable difference between the two devices. The S3 is still a great phone. But there is no denying that the Note 2 beats it on the performance and battery front. The Note 2 is not just an oversized S3 with an S-Pen. They are very different devices.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The GN2 is more well rounded device. Yes bigger but better in almost every way. If you can stand the size, go with the GN2. One additional thing is the battery life on my GN2 is unbelievable. My S3 is out by 5:00 pm- a big difference in my usage patterns. I like the screen better too and not the size but to colors etc.

Yeah, good point, the battery is AWESOME!

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be an easy situation if you truly have it narrowed to the S3 and GN2.
Call Best Buy and let them know you are bringing in Amazon promotion for them to match on GN2. Make sure they have color you want in stock.
Try GN2 for at least 2 weeks to give yourself a chance to get used to the size.
If you don't get used to the size switch to S3.
Give yourself at least a week with S3 before 30 days is up in case you decide to switch back to GN2 or a replacement S3 is needed.
Also, get the Best Buy insurance.
It is one of the best for smartphones anywhere.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I am a Galaxy SIII user and I am trying to get a Note 2 myself. From all the reviews and previews I have seen, can't wait for the "upgrade".

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my phone for the first time. Been through list of phones trying to find that happiness.

Palm Treo 650
Nokia N97
ATT Fuze (HTC)
iPhone 4
Galaxy S2
Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Galaxy S3

The GS3 is close to perfection. I had some water damage and need to replace my (mostly) functional phone. Just see the Note 2 as an upgrade. So much more functionality with the S pen than just note taking. It truly is like a Galaxy S3 on steroids!

FWIW, the Best Buy price match clearly states it does not have to match Internet pricing. As others have pointed out, the reps in store have ability to do the match anyway. So, it really is up to the person you deal with, but most seem willing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jerry 12

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a bit of a 'good' problem here that I'm seeking the advice of the AndroidCentral community members to help me out with. That is, it's time for me to upgrade from my EVO 4G to a new phone. Which I've narrowed down my two choices to be the Galaxy SIII and the Galaxy Note 2. In fact when my contract expired this past July, I had decided I wanted the Galaxy SIII tho was waiting for the prices to come down and for any earth shattering issues to come to the surface. The months passed as I waited and that's when I learned about the Note 2 back in October and all of a sudden my previous set in stone choice had turned into a stiff competition between these two phones.

Since the Note 2 has come out, I've visited the Sprint store several times to get hands on comparisons between both phones. I've used both and love them both equally and really am unsure which phone to get. My indecisiveness comes down to the size of the Note 2 versus that of the SG3. Part of me wants to purchase the Note 2, although I'm genuinely wondering if the size of it borders on being "too big"? This has left me wondering about getting a case for it, and possible belt holster and wondering if this will be like walking with a handgun attached to my belt. That it sticks out so far. Will it be cumbersome in my hand, especially when holding and doing activities with one hand and thumb? The Galaxy S3 fits perfect and I have no issues with my thumb reaching the opposite side and corners when swyping and using apps. With the Note 2, the corners are slightly out of reach. Also I noticed that when I text in landscape mode (which I literally live off of with my EVO) that my thumbs were being stretched to hit keys like 'g', 'b', 'h', etc. I wonder if a case like the Seidio Surface will had much bulk making these thumb 'issues' more prominent?

Of course when using the Galaxy S3 I didn't have those issues due to the smaller size. However when using the S3, I noticed that the screen just didn't look as... beautiful as it does on the Note 2 when doing something as simple as webpage loading. Sadly the whole decision process has boiled down to screen size. It's large enough to be gorgeous, but also large enough to leave me wondering if it really is just... "too large".

To give everyone perspective here, I got the EVO 4G 2.5 years ago when it first came out and thought it was huge then, but I adapted quite well from my RAZR V3xx days. Because this phone will be at least 50% used for my business (customer calls, accessing internet when doing computer diagnostics at a clients location if their internet is down, etc) I'm concerned about the bulkiness of it. With my EVO, I use a Seidio Surface case & holster and always attach it to my belt/hip or pocket which works great as I never have just tossed it into a pocket. Tho will the Note 2 be too large to be conveniently tossed in a pocket if I need to do that? Will using a belt holster leave it so large that I'll be afraid it'll knock into something when walking in a store?

To add onto things, I've gotten some playful criticism from friends and my girlfriend about the shear size of the Note 2 and it being no different than having an obtrusively large tablet device to my head when talking. Then again they are iPhone people so I expect the banter. ;)

Anyway, the size really is my main concern. I know the Note 2 has a better processor than the S3 (quad vs dual core) and comes with the same basic amount of memory as the GS3 (16gb), tho with the GS3 having a 32GB option that leaves the door open for me to consider getting an S3 over the Note 2. I'm assuming the Note 2 will have a 32gb option but it'll be so far down the road it's not worth waiting... or will there be no 32GB option?

Lastly, but most importantly, what has everyone else's experience with the Note 2 vs the GS3 been like? I'm looking for as much user input as possible.

Thanks!

Brad

I have both phones & I like the Note2 the best because of the larger screen.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Android Central Forums

Tunnelrunner

Nov 8, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded from an SIII to a Note 2. IMO, the Note 2 feels like a souped up, more powerful version of the SIII - AFAIK, it can do everything the SIII can and more (new features like the S Pen, S Notes, split screen multi tasking, etc.).

-As stated many times, I think the only reason to go with the SIII is the more manageable size but even that's not really a huge problem (no pun intended). When I walked into the Verizon store and asked if I could try the "pocket test" with one of their demos - and it passed - I was sold.

-The Note 2 is a magnificent, powerful sexy beast. If you have to have the latest cutting edge technology, pick the N2.

Last edited:

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
This is what I think it comes down to

If you enjoy big screens and you dont care about the size then go for the note 2, if you are a bit weary on the size and you dont want a phone thats too big then go for the s3.

If you dont mind either and you you enjoy features, go for the note 2, it has s-pen, slow motiom camera, ink effect on lockscreen and many others. In terms of performance they are both so alike

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
This is what I think it comes down to

If you enjoy big screens and you dont care about the size then go for the note 2, if you are a bit weary on the size and you dont want a phone thats too big then go for the s3.

If you dont mind either and you you enjoy features, go for the note 2, it has s-pen, slow motiom camera, ink effect on lockscreen and many others. In terms of performance they are both so alike

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

I have both phones and the note 2 is noticeable faster than the s3. Not sure if it's because I am running cleanROM 3.3 on the note 2 vs stock ROM on the s3.

iCry, stop staring at my Note 2 ;-)

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the great input! I feel much more comfortable about buying a Note 2 now than I did before. In fact as I was re-reading these posts, I didn't realize there were 'issues' with the SG3 like cell reception. I hadn't paid much attention to those things.

My main concern when standing in the Sprint store those numerous times I stopped by to demo the phone was size alone. Namely the size in my hand on whether it was too big to comfortably text with one hand, was it too large when sticking up to my ear, and whether with it, a case/holster combo would be so large I'd inadvertently knock it on things just walking around the house. I ruled out the issue of size and holding it to my head that it doesn't feel any larger than those traditional cordless handsets I used to have. Now on the flip side, I used a friends iPhone 5 this week and it felt so small that I was going to drop it so that certainly solidified I would never get one of those. :) Overall I do feel more comfortable now that it would be a matter of getting used to the slightly larger size in my hand and think it may not be noticeable on my hip. *IF* if it slightly a hair large, I could live with that after reading about the better cell reception, behaving better than the SG3 in the one above post.

The features and capabilities of the phone are very impressive and very attractive. In fact after I had purchased my EVO in Jun `10, I've used it for just about everything possible. I use PocketCloud on it to pull up my computer desktops remotely (which is admittedly painful on such a small screen), mapping when doing Geocaching, it was my sole source of GPS/ISP/Entertainment (youtube/TV/streamed movies) when I took a job in Nebraska driving 1800 miles across the country for a few months, and lastly (but most importantly) it's my sole means of Googling information when on site with a client. So that if a client has a computer issue at their home, their internet is down, etc my first reaction is to get my phone, use Opera and start Googling for info as needed. So the EVO has definitely been limited in the screen size category for me when it's most needed. I don't plan to use the future phone I get any less in those areas.

If I can get a price match at Best Buy, looks like the Note 2 is what I'll get!