S-Beam Fun, But Is It Useful?

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Saw another Note II user at the mall Xmas shopping today. I was really excited to try out S-beam with someone. I turned on my camera and went to record the encounter and this is how it went down...

You guys are way too obsessed with this device.

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I did try it out with my brother who has an S3. Nifty feature. However, if I want to show someone something I just show them my phone. SMS is just as easy. Does S-Beam just help you transfer larger files that are too big for sms? Can I somehow use it to drain people's google wallets? Trying to find other practical uses for it.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
A friend at work has the Note 1 with NFC and when I tried to beam a MP3 to him from the phone it wouldn't work. Said receivers device didn't support. LOL Also tried with my mother in laws S2 and it wouldn't work then either. So technically I have yet to get NFC to transfer files from one device to another. Even though in the commercial slots it shows them transferring Video.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I transferred a 700mb movie to a friends note 2 the other day. Took about 3 minutes to make the transfer. We found the sbeam is good for mp3's but if you want to transfer files this large you need wifi direct, which the note 2 has. I read that android beam and s beam are not the same thing. I believe the s3 and note 2 are the only devices to beable to transfer larger files. The others can only transfer web links and small pictures abd things like that.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I transferred a 700mb movie to a friends note 2 the other day. Took about 3 minutes to make the transfer. We found the sbeam is good for mp3's but if you want to transfer files this large you need wifi direct, which the note 2 has. I read that android beam and s beam are not the same thing. I believe the s3 and note 2 are the only devices to beable to transfer larger files. The others can only transfer web links and small pictures abd things like that.

This.

Friend of mine at work has a gs3. Transferred "next Friday" to my phone just by touching phones and took like 2 minutes to go through. I think it's very useful for transferring large files like movies and such. Great thing is we don't have to hold the phone together for the whole time. Lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Wifi Direct world's pretty well, even between my Note 2 and Nexus 7. Once they are linked, they can send files between each other without using NFC. I haven't been able to get the two to work visa NFC, though.

NFC/S-Beam/Wifi-Direct work well between my Note 2 and my wife's S3, though. We just had to make sure the link S set up between the first.

The photo sharing is pretty cool. We've linked a few phones together (my Note 2, and a couple of S3s) and shared photos being taken from each device. We're probably going to play with this more on Christmas Day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital