Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You're used to an iPhone. This is Android. If you just took the phone out of the box and are using it as-is, it probably has a tacky animated wallpaper running, absolutely every stupid battery wasting feature enabled and 46 services running in the background. Most Android devices take a little tweaking out if the box to prepare them for use by a normal person. Try turning some stuff off.

Shirodx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
From a 100% charge at 2pm today, with practically no usage, at 7:18pm it's down to 73%. That's almost a 6% battery drain per hour. That can't be good.
By using better battery stats how can I tell if it's going into sleep or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-25-19-23-30[1].png
    Screenshot_2012-12-25-19-23-30[1].png
    154.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_2012-12-25-19-21-40[1].png
    Screenshot_2012-12-25-19-21-40[1].png
    174.2 KB · Views: 114

Ed Penney

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
How did you get that lucky with yours? That's incredible! I wish the battery makers could make as big advances as do the makers of other parts. Here?s a phone that would be ideal for my large graphics files (I?m a designer in New York) but when you?re talking 64GB, even on AT&T?s 4GLTE things don?t move fast enough that the battery doesn?t get drained quickly.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
OP you've got some serious wake lock issues. Seeing RIL as the top wakelock culprit I want you to try something, and I know this doesn't sound good but please try it. Tonight, if you can, put your phone into airplane mode but leave Wifi on and connected so you get data. If you wake up and experience minimal battery drain at best then I'm chalking it up to crappy signal quality and your phone having to wake up and push more power to the radio to keep you connected.

chia prof

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
guys i have same issue too
i have charged my note II (full at 12.30 am), and i put it and go to sleep
but when i wake up (6.30 am), the battery was at 37%
when i checked the battery usage, 94% on screen
how to solve this pls help =(

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Just a general question only sort of related to the OP, but why does one charge their phone and then leave it off of the charger all night while they are sleeping?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Some people believe the cost savings of leaving the phone off the charger at night are substantial.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I had, at one point 10-12 hours of batery life with 3G on all the while. But now, my battery heats up, and I get about 4 hours. I always kill apps on the back ground using the stock task manager.
I also use power saving mode. Doesn't help at all.
Do you guys think the battery calibrator apps in play store would help?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Has to be rooted for all of those apps. Battery calibrations only need done after OS or rom changes. I think your problem is elsewhere

sent from Galaxy Note 2

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Just a general question only sort of related to the OP, but why does one charge their phone and then leave it off of the charger all night while they are sleeping?

It boils down to improved battery health.You're wasting charge cycles because overnight the charger will stop supplying power once the phone reaches 100% so the battery will do it's usual trickling down while idle. The problem is then the charger kicks back in and lightly charges it back up to 100%. Doing this over and over again throughout an 8 hour night is not good for the health of the battery. I myself have noticed it having an impact on the following days battery life.

When I bring my phone down to about 20% and give it a full charge to 100%, with the phone off, that following charge cycle (100% to 20%) is incredibly potent and lasts me almost 3 days straight. Yet with the same usage, if I plug my phone in at like 50% and charge it to 100% overnight, not unplugging it while I sleep, then the following charge cycle is very weak and with the same or even less usage, I run out of battery twice as fast. I do have some screenshots to prove this as well, showing one charge with the same hours of screen on time making it almost 72 hours and hitting 30% battery. Yet on another try I had the screen on for a measly 3.5 hours and yet in less than 24 hours it dropped to the same 30%. Why? Because of the difference in how I charged it the previous night.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have to think the original poster lives in an area with weak 4G service. Weak service runs down a battery quicker than anything else, in my experience.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Gsam battery monitor is your friend. DL it. Understand it. Post screenies. Those yellow splotches under your battery. Not good. That means bad phone signal.

Sent from my hookah via hash cloud.

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Has to be rooted for all of those apps. Battery calibrations only need done after OS or rom changes. I think your problem is elsewhere

sent from Galaxy Note 2

Oh.. ok. Well. I stop all the social networking apps running in the background when i'm using 3G (no LTE or 4G in ny area), thats the H or H+ sign right?
I guess it still drains the battery if it switches from h or h+, am i right?

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Why is this happening.
I went from 100% to 97% in a span of 25minutes, and all i was doing was reading posts here in the forums! Help please. I wanna cry. This is so frustrating. :-(

foppa78

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I feel bad for the OP. I havent cut my phone back on anything and it runs all day long with plenty to spare. I use quite a few apps as well. Seems like the only time my previous phone would drain like that is when my signal was very poor and it kept looking for signal all the time. I have had zero issues with my Note 2 battery. It has been a beast.

Nightscape

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Why is this happening.
I went from 100% to 97% in a span of 25minutes, and all i was doing was reading posts here in the forums! Help please. I wanna cry. This is so frustrating. :-(

Do you use wifi at home? Does the battery drain just as fast on wifi if you do use it instead of 3g?

Mark Morrison

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Why is this happening.

This is NORMAL. Having the display on will consume your battery. If you have the screen on for ten hours, your battery will be 100% consumed.
My iPhone 4S went from 100% to 0% in 4 hours of screen time. It's completely NORMAL.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
This is NORMAL. Having the display on will consume your battery. If you have the screen on for ten hours, your battery will be 100% consumed.
My iPhone 4S went from 100% to 0% in 4 hours of screen time. It's completely NORMAL.

This is correct. The screen is the number one battery drain you will ever experience with your phone, as far as using it goes. This is especially true with AMOLED screens that are on the max brightness viewing web pages with blank white backgrounds. That will kill your battery fast. Very fast. There really isn't any way of avoiding it except to turn the brightness down and if applicable use inverted coloring on web pages. It'll turn the blank white background to black and the black text to white. This will make a huge difference in battery consumption when browsing the web.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000