[Tut] How to make a smart cover

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Was not really sure where to post this, but here are instructions on how to make a smart cover like the iPad's. ( Lock and Unlock as you open the samsung flip cover)
Things you need, the OEM samsung flip cover case, or any other cover case that fits. A pouch will also work marvelously. You will also need a yellow sticky note, a pair of scissors and a dollar.
1) Go to the Google Play store and download the app Smart Cover with a blue icon for a dollar I believe. ( I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links here )
*Note this app is the best one, it does not drain battery and works flawlessly.
2) Get out your sticky note and cut out a small rectangle from the sticky part. Make sure that it is big enough to cover the two tiny infrared sensors to the left of your front camera.
3) Place the cut sticky note piece onto the two sensors and make sure they are both covered.
*Note have the sticky side pointing up
4) Gently lower your cover so that the sticky note sticks to the inside of it.
*Note why do we need to do this? It is because the OEM cover absorbs the infrared waves instead of reflecting them back, so if you didn't have a sticky note that helps with the reflecting, the sensors would assume that there was no object in front of it because the waves were not being bounced back and instead being absorbed.
5) Open up the Smart Cover app and press the green button and voila.
*Note there are also a tiny bit of things you can change in the app.
6) Go to your settings>lock screen and turn it off.
*Note this will make it exactly like the iPad smart cover where open is unlock and closed is lock.
Enjoy and Merry Christmas from Kenny

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I've had no problems with the White or Titanium OEM flip case and the Smart Cover app without adding any paper. Works great for me.

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
@RLLangley press your cover with a bit of pressure down at where the sensor is. There you will get your problem. ex. when you lay it face down on a table or put it in your pocket when there is pressure there.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
If you download the Smart Cover app from the Play Store then no modifications are necessary.

I use a flip case with magnetic closure. The Smart Cover app works great for turning on/off the display.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
@RLLangley press your cover with a bit of pressure down at where the sensor is. There you will get your problem. ex. when you lay it face down on a table or put it in your pocket when there is pressure there.

Never noticed that. Guess I've never paid attention to it. How well does that sticky hold up. Wonder if there is a better solution. A piece of fabric that you can glue/iron on without hurting the case or the screen when it comes in contact.

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The sticky note holds on surprisingly well, it hasn't fallen off or gotten messy yet. Also, fabric tends to absorb the IR instead of reflect it, and also it's thick so your cover might pop up a bit. And you only need to do this for the OEM cover case, what cover case are you using @DAS?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc