First 12 hours with Note 2

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
To the people concerned about the size of this thing, here's something to consider: Have you ever gone fishing? Catch a bream? When you hold that bream to get the hook out...that's what holding this phone is similar to. It fits in my blue jeans front pocket just fine.I can sit with no problem too. I will get at least a rear case to give it some grip.

I used the phone, text, and set up email on it relatively without headache. The dude at Best Buy transferred my contacts to it. I'm new to andriod so some of the workings of this phone were a little cryptic to me. However, after a short while, I got the hang of it. The screen is beautiful and updates nicely without stuttering. I was torn between updating my phone with a new "5" or this one. I haven't found anything I don't like about it except maybe the predictive text. And that's just because it's there instead of a spell checker.

Bottom line is that I have 14 days to test it out and see if "we" fit together. Best Buy has 'em on sale for $250 for the next couple of days. I suspect that I'll keep this one because it doesn what I want it to do and I really like that big screen. I'll give a 5 day update after we spend some quality time together. If you're on the fence about it, give it a try and you may surprise yourself. I'm not into rooting or custom roms. I'm just your everyday Joe Sixpack getting a phone for every day use.

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Glad you are liking it. If the keyboard really bothers you, try out of the other keyboards on the market. It's android, everything is changeable :) SwiftKey is nice, Swype is already installed, a little google seach maybe yield you the stock android (not samsung) keyboard that has autocorrect, etc etc. Plenty of good ones. The stock android keyboard is actually my favorite, but it's not installed on the note 2 that I know of. The samsung keyboard on the phone is nice, since you can enabled a one handed mode, but I wish it did have some form of autocorrect instead of just suggestions.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was a big fan of Swiftkey (still am) but the number row on the Samsung Keyboard has spoiled me. Use the phone for company email and our password policy requires at least 1 number, hoping that Swiftkey will add the number row.

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Went to bed at 10pm with phone at 77% battery. Got up at 4am and it was 73%. I have it checking email every 15 minutes. So I think that's pretty good.
Do any of the other keyboards affect the S Pen?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Check the link below for Swype Beta, I have enjoyed using it. It even has a handwriting button so you can use the Spen to write if you would like.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/220222-swype-issues-questions.html

Side note, since are new to Android, if you try Swype, give it a real try. I would suggest making yourself use it for about 5 days. Anyone I have ever told this to ends up swearing by Swype. It is a little different at first, but it's very easy to get used to.

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
New question. How do you back up the phone in case of a crash? And please don't tell me Kies. It has an error when I try to hook the phone up by USB. I haven't tried it wireless yet. But there has to be a simple way to back it up.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
New question. How do you back up the phone in case of a crash? And please don't tell me Kies. It has an error when I try to hook the phone up by USB. I haven't tried it wireless yet. But there has to be a simple way to back it up.

What exactly do you want to back up? Contacts, pictures, apps, email and music can and should be backed up with Google. Game data and text messages im not sure, maybe someone else knows. Unless you are rooted, in which case you can use Titanium Backup or something similar.

Sent from my SCH-I605

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the backup done. Now how do I get all my favorites from IE on the phone?

Import them to Google Chrome, then download the Chrome browser from the Play Store on your phone. Your IE desktop favorites you imported will show up.
ebujysa7.jpg

Last edited:

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Let's pretend I don't want to be tracked like a Russian spy. Is there any other way to get my favorites on there besides Chrome? Besides adding them one at a time.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Let's pretend I don't want to be tracked like a Russian spy.

Not sure I even understand what you mean here. Who is tracking you, through what means? All of your personal info and stuff is out there if you have a smartphone hooked to an Apple or Google account anyway. What are you concerned about?

Is there any other way to get my favorites on there besides Chrome? Besides adding them one at a time.

The Chrome option is the easiest way I know, but anyway...I have never tried this, but you might be able to connect your phone to your PC, and simply drag and drop your IE Favorites folder onto your phone. Give it a try. I don't use a browser on my phone very often, I use apps more often (eBay, Amazon, AndroidCentral, Tapatalk, ESPN Scorecenter, etc)...so I'm not going to be much help in this area. Sorry.

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I guess you're not aware of the fact that Google tracks where you go on the web for advertising purposes? Have you noticed that when you search for a camera or any item that the item appears on other pages that you're on...from retailers wanting to sell that item to you? Google doesn't do the search service because they love you. It's about advertising dollars. It's a great search engine, but one way or the other, someone pays. The end.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess you're not aware of the fact that Google tracks where you go on the web for advertising purposes? Have you noticed that when you search for a camera or any item that the item appears on other pages that you're on...from retailers wanting to sell that item to you? Google doesn't do the search service because they love you. It's about advertising dollars. It's a great search engine, but one way or the other, someone pays. The end.

Ok. I am completely aware they track my browsing habits. Not using Chrome is not going to avoid them or others from tracking you. Microsoft and Apple and Verizon and the Government and just about a million other folks track your digital presence. I am not bothered by that one bit, what harm is it doing? Good luck avoiding someone tracking your moves in the digital world these days, not sure how you plan to avoid it when you have a smartphone, use the web, watch cable tv, etc. I was simply trying to help you enjoy your new phone. No thanks is necessary, hopefully we've been able to get you started and if you have other questions that have to do with getting the most out of your phone just ask. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I didn't intend to disrespect you but I can see how it came off that way. You're right about tracking going on no matter which way you turn these days, I was trying to avoid one more source. I know I can't get away from it but I don't want to help their cause either. I appreciate the help I get on these forums because I'm such an andriod noob. So please accept my apology for sounding like the north end of a south bound mule.

Lastnv

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
There is honestly nothing wrong with using Chrome...unless you're searching for CP on the internet what have you got to hide?

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There is honestly nothing wrong with using Chrome...unless you're searching for CP on the internet what have you got to hide?

No, I don't search for Canned Peaches on the internet. By going limp and letting them get into your business is no way to protect your accounts, your private life and your loved ones. Thinking like you are will get police knocking on your door to seach your house. If you refuse, they can say, "so, you must be guilty of something. What have you got to hide?" Just sayin'

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1