Hello fellow Note 2 users!

Just want to know if I have WiFi switched on and Mobile Data switched on as well which connection would my phone use? Will WiFi connection be used or Mobile Data?

By the way, I can't seem to use my home WiFi. It just takes really long to load and end up telling me its unable to load. My router WiFi is password protected and I have already typed and fully connect to it. But it seems that I can't load anything. I use a Linksys router. I happened to be outside when I got my phone and had Wireless@SG to connect to (since I had to wait awhile for my connection to be up; switched from Blackberry Internet Service to regular LTE plan) and I was able to connect and use the internet.

Now that this is happening, I suspect its my set up. But I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with my WiFi. I seem to be able to connect and use internet on my other devices (iPod touch 4g).

• I am fully connected
    • I am assigned an IP address by my router
    • IP address is within DHCP range that is configured at my router config
    • My signal strength is Good
    • Link speed is 11Mbps
    • Status is connected

Please advice!
    12-27-2012 11:02 AM
    Like now, I am currently sending this message from the WiFi hotspot in Singapore called Wireless@sg. But at home. I cant seem to load anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    12-28-2012 01:30 AM
    Hi, & welcome!

Just want to know if I have WiFi switched on and Mobile Data switched on as well which connection would my phone use? Will WiFi connection be used or Mobile Data?
    When you're connected to WiFi, that will take precedence over the cell connection.

As far as your home connection, it sounds like either the router or the phones settings for that router is the problem since it works on other routers. Try rebooting the router, & if needed after that, remove (forget) the router from your phone & start over with the connection. Sometimes a fresh start is all that's needed to get things going.
    12-28-2012 09:28 AM
    Hi, & welcome!

When you're connected to WiFi, that will take precedence over the cell connection.

As far as your home connection, it sounds like either the router or the phones settings for that router is the problem since it works on other routers. Try rebooting the router, & if needed after that, remove (forget) the router from your phone & start over with the connection. Sometimes a fresh start is all that's needed to get things going.
    Tried this but to no avail. I tried updating my router's firmware as well. Same problem. Nothing is helping. T_T
    12-29-2012 09:42 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, that's the extent of my tech expertise.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in & help.
    12-29-2012 10:00 AM
    I'm having trouble connecting to my WiFi with my dad's Galaxy S2 as well. Like my Note 2. His S2 can also fully connect to my WiFi but can't load anything. What is it in my router that is not propagating internet to our devices?

I have a feeling its smth to do with android devices and my current router config, since this doesnt happen with my mom's iphone and my ipod touch..

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    12-29-2012 12:03 PM
    Yes problem lies between my Linksys WRT54G and my Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7105).

I managed to find this thread and the thread starter thankfully managed to resolve this issue. There seem to be a problem between this particular model of Linksys router and the Android's WiFi. It is assumed that the DHCP distribution from the router does not fully connect the phone to the internet, just to the local-area-network (LAN).

The solution to this is as follows:

• Have yourself connected to your network
    • Press and hold the connection until a pop up comes up
    • Choose "Modify network config"
    • Check "Show advanced options"
    • Scroll to "IP settings" and select "Static"
    • Assign IP address (e.g: 192.168.1.140)
    • Fill in Gateway (e.g: 192.168.1.1 also known as the router IP address)
    • Fill in Network prefix length if not automatically filled in (e.g: 24)
    • Fill in "DNS 1" (e.g: 192.168.1.1 also known as your router IP)
    • You can choose to leave DNS 2 out (e.g: 4.4.4.4 in grey text by default)

The above mentioned examples are the settings of my current settings to my own router. I have a DHCP set to start from 192.168.1.100 and end at 192.168.1.149. So it seems that setting an IP within your DHCP range is not a problem. You can try assigning outside your DHCP range if you wish but I can't vouch if it would work.

I have no idea why the DNS address works when set to contact the router but it seems that it is working for me for the past two days. I have switched off and on multiple times and no issue even with my data switched off (to ensure that I am only using WiFi).

So I hope anyone out there experiencing this problem finds this and I hope you get to solve it! Took me awhile to figure it out and some luck to chance upon the mentioned thread from another forums.

Good luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013!

Cheers!

Jay
    12-31-2012 03:58 AM
    Hi Note 2 people! I really havin probs with my note 2, i already try the setting to static but i still cant connected to my wifi, it shows connected but i can neither surf the internet nor playin online games at all.... i hope someone can give chime to my probs
    04-06-2013 06:27 PM
    I had the same issue this morning with my new Galaxy Note 8.0.

This is a communication issue between your router and the device. The device checks out the IP address from the DHCP server and all configs seems to be right. I can ping it from another device too. I don't have time to diagnose the issue but I found out that if I add my MAC address to my router manually it resolves the issues. The network config in the device is still using DHCP. At the router side I entered an IP, the same one DHCP served, and the device MAC, settings /About device/ Status/ Wi-Fi MAC address, to my DHCP authorized device list.
    04-20-2013 12:33 PM
    Thanks a tonne bro! I seem to have resolved it wit ur idea!
    04-22-2013 12:11 PM
    @ JayBern

The solution you posted on 12/31/12 about changing to a static IP address, along with the step-by-step instructions is still helping people (me!) today. I have had a Note 2 for about two weeks and love it. I had accessed my wireless home network with no problems, then suddenly it no longer worked. Other wireless devices worked and I had no issues connecting to other wireless networks outside my home one. I spent probably two hours over a couple of days reading forums and looking for suggestions. I had already tried the classic simple solutions regarding resetting and powering down, etc. I know extremely little, but knew enough to know it had to be some type of "settings" issue that a factory reset (which was suggested in several places) would not help with and would cause me a lot of inconvenience.

I decided to try one more time this morning and found this thread. We have a Linksys router also, so your post caught my eye. Noticing you wrote that setting the IP address for somewhere in the assigned range seemed to have no negative impact, I followed your instructions and changed to a static IP and changed the IP address by one digit. Working just fine now! Thanks for your time in searching for the solution and for taking the time to post it so that it could help someone else of (considerably!) less experience easily fix a problem that I knew instinctively should be simply corrected, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Blessings for the rest of 2013!
    07-17-2013 09:27 AM