Is there a way on the Note 2 to get the Gmail app to show how many new messages I have, just like the stock SMS app?
    I only came across one app that claims to do this, but it's a paid app. I'm also not sure how well it will work on the Note 2.

I'm surprised the Android Gmail app doesn't have this feature, because the updated Gmail app for IOS does.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    12-27-2012 09:20 PM
    I believe it's something that was taken out of Gmail quite a few versions ago. I don't know why. It seems like it should be a no brainer....

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums.
    12-27-2012 10:15 PM
    This may or may not help but you can use Nova launcher prime. But its also a paid app. It will show you notifier bubbles for gmail, missed calls, Google Talk. Email. Missed calls. I can't remember what else. I know it's not a simple app. But it's out there:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    cdf3 likes this.
    12-27-2012 11:22 PM
    This may or may not help but you can use Nova launcher prime. But its also a paid app. It will show you notifier bubbles for gmail, missed calls, Google Talk. Email. Missed calls. I can't remember what else. I know it's not a simple app. But it's out there:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    I am using Nova Prime with the Tesla Unread add-on which does exactly what you are looking for. A lot of other cool customizations with Nova too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    cdf3 likes this.
    12-28-2012 12:19 AM
    Thanks. I installed Nova Launcher Prime, as well as the add on. I know have unread notification badges. I also like the gestures for Nova Launcher. Swiping down anywhere on the home screen allows the notification bar to open. This now allows me to open the notification bar with one handed operation. Something I was unable to do before, because I had trouble reaching my thumb all the way to the top of the screen during one handed use. Dragging an app icon from the App Drawer can be a little buggy sometimes. Sometimes the icon doesn't want to go inside of the folder. I have to add the icon to the home screen, then drag it onto the folder. Other than that, it's working out great so far.
    I still wish there was a good solution for adding unread badges to Touch Wiz.

12-28-2012 06:09 AM
    I would really like to know why this feature was removed a few versions ago. I went from Blackberry to a Galaxy S3 LOVE it, except the fact that my GMAIL icon won't show simple number on the icon for new mail or even a simple indicator on the icon itself. I know it's in the drop down, but that isn't what I want. I shouldn't have to run a 3rd party app to do something so simple. I hope they put it back in, in a future version.
    12-28-2012 06:25 AM
    I would really like to know why this feature was removed a few versions ago. I went from Blackberry to a Galaxy S3 LOVE it, except the fact that my GMAIL icon won't show simple number on the icon for new mail or even a simple indicator on the icon itself. I know it's in the drop down, but that isn't what I want. I shouldn't have to run a 3rd party app to do something so simple. I hope they put it back in, in a future version.
    I agree. Don't see why they have it for the iOS Gmail app they recently released, but not for the version running on their own OS.

12-28-2012 06:33 AM
    I agree. Don't see why they have it for the iOS Gmail app they recently released, but not for the version running on their own OS.

I did actually just find out that...Get this...Apple has the patent on NOTIFIERS ON ICONS! Believe it or not, wonder if they MADE google remove it from the android app and have it exclusive on iphone due to that stupid patent? They probably threatened to sue!
    12-28-2012 07:20 AM
    I did actually just find out that...Get this...Apple has the patent on NOTIFIERS ON ICONS! Believe it or not, wonder if they MADE google remove it from the android app and have it exclusive on iphone due to that stupid patent? They probably threatened to sue!
    Samsung still has it on the stock SMS app. If apple does have that patent, then it maybe a matter of time before Samsung removes it.

12-28-2012 07:24 AM
    I was tempted to purchase a 3rd party Gmail Notifier app but some claimed it was buggy. I also noticed the app hasn't been updated since April of 2012. So I passed.

12-28-2012 07:28 AM
    Samsung still has it on the stock SMS app. If apple does have that patent, then it maybe a matter of time before Samsung removes it.

Yup that is what I was thinking as well, why have it on one and not the other.

I was going to try a 3rd party app as well, but as you stated buggy, also battery hog for something so simple
    12-28-2012 07:48 AM
    I just discovered something new with Nova when wanting to add items to folders. It was a PITA, but there are 3 vertical grey dots in the bottom right of the folder when you open it. If you click on the dots it will open an "Add" menu. You can then scroll through your list of apps and choose them this way. Much easier than the double drag and drop method.
    12-28-2012 08:00 AM
    I noticed that I can no longer change the lock screen wallpaper from the home screen in Nova Launcher. Have to do it from the image itself using the Gallery app.

12-28-2012 02:31 PM