Help can't transfer large files to ExFat microSD

K4Y

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought the sandisk ultra 64gb micro sdxc from amazon. And my note 2 reads it and says i have 59.45gb free space. Now when i put a video file over 4gb it says. Its file size is larger then the device limit. And am sure all 64gb cards comes formatted exfat out of the box. I can put under 4gb files no problem, And when i click on the sd card it says generic hierarchical and not exfat or fat 32

Last edited:

ashenor

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Help 64gb card and note 2 problems

You need to just do a exFat format on it, ust had to do the same thing last week on mine. Toss in your PC, do exFat and you are able to put 4g's + files on it.

K4Y

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

I have format it again to exFat but am still haveing the same problem as before. I have the samsung note 2 international version

K4Y

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

The only way it works is if i put the sd card in the usb card reader then plug it in computer i can transfer files larger then 4gb. Then put it back in to note 2 and it works. This is a lot of pain when other note 2 works fine apart from the note 2 international version. Not only that am using a usb 2.0 card reader and its taking 25 mins for a 5.66gb file to transfer. Guess i have to buy a usb 3.0 card reader. But will taking the card in and out every time to add a file over 4gb damage the sd card . Can anyone help

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
As far as you only having 59.45gb free, this is completely normal. You will never fet the advertised amount of space. Even with hard drives the case is the same. I just bought a 500gb external drive and my pc says only 465gb free.

From what I undertand this is because to the average consumer 1000mb equals 1gb. But this is not the case. 1024mb equals 1gb. That extra 24mb per gig are lost and eventually add up to a significant amount. Unfortunately scandolous advertising are the reason things are the way they are.

K4Y

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
As far as you only having 59.45gb free, this is completely normal. You will never fet the advertised amount of space. Even with hard drives the case is the same. I just bought a 500gb external drive and my pc says only 465gb free.

From what I undertand this is because to the average consumer 1000mb equals 1gb. But this is not the case. 1024mb equals 1gb. That extra 24mb per gig are lost and eventually add up to a significant amount. Unfortunately scandolous advertising are the reason things are the way they are.

I know this that's not the problem. The problem is with exFat i cant transfer larger files then 4gb. Which you should be able to do this since its format to exFat and not format to fat32 etc

Malkozaine

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The only way it works is if i put the sd card in the usb card reader then plug it in computer i can transfer files larger then 4gb. Then put it back in to note 2 and it works. This is a lot of pain when other note 2 works fine apart from the note 2 international version. Not only that am using a usb 2.0 card reader and its taking 25 mins for a 5.66gb file to transfer. Guess i have to buy a usb 3.0 card reader. But will taking the card in and out every time to add a file over 4gb damage the sd card . Can anyone help

The reason you can't do it while the card is in the phone is cause the phone auto assumes the card can't support anything more then 4gb. If you use a custom recover you can Mount as USB though that and it will work fine.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

K4Y

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The reason you can't do it while the card is in the phone is cause the phone auto assumes the card can't support anything more then 4gb. If you use a custom recover you can Mount as USB though that and it will work fine.

Thanks for your reply. This is my first time using an android phone. How do i go about to do the custom recover thing you said. Also i have been reading quite a few forums now and most of them say its the problem with note 2 international version only and other note 2 do not have this problem at all. I find this strange samsung should allow it for all version of the note 2 to do this

Malkozaine

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Not a problem. I must correct my self, its a limitation of androids MTP that doesn't allow more then 4gb no matter the card. As for the custom recover when I get home I can post a link but useing my phone and cant copy the link at the moment.

K4Y

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Not a problem. I must correct my self, its a limitation of androids MTP that doesn't allow more then 4gb no matter the card. As for the custom recover when I get home I can post a link but useing my phone and cant copy the link at the moment.

Thank you very much

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad