A couple of questions about size/practicality (current iphone user)

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
So I am looking to upgrade from my current phone (3 year old iphone 3gs - yeah, I know lol) to either the Note 2 or iphone 5. Only thing making this a difficult choice for me is the sheer size of the Note 2. Feature wise, I think it is clearly the superior phone.

How practical is the size of the phone in day to day use, mobility wise? How well would you say it fits in pants pockets? Can you sit with it in your pockets comfortably? How difficult is it to navigate around with one hand? (I'm average size, with average size hands) I don't talk on the phone often, so I'm not worried about it potentially feeling awkward next to my ear.

My uses for the phone would be primarily for texting, web browsing, and music. Nothing really work or school related.

How does this phone rate as a primary music device as compared to the iphone 5? I listen to most music while driving and presumably would have all of my music loaded on a 64gig sd card. I wouldn't watch many videos/movies as I have my tablet for those tasks, although if I ever needed to, the large screen seems like it would be ideal. I also doubt I would do many handwritten notes, though yet again, the ability to do so is certainly nice.

At the end of the day, I'll have to play with one to determine if I could make the size work. I was just hoping to get some opinions on if this phone would be ideal for my intended uses, more so than the iphone 5.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
easily fits in my pocket and it has a leather case around it. Excellent sound quality for phone and music. Better than my previous phones--bionic and storm. Highly recommended. Met a gal yesterday who was glad she just switched from iphone to Samsung. Does a lot more than the iphone

Complaints are nearly nonexistent
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
The size is no issue after you use it for
A few days. Honestly, after a few days, everything feels to small. You can use Doubletwist to sync music except for protected music from iTunes.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums.

jscott1026

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I switched from my 4s and got the Note2. I can tell you the iphone5 is a stretched 4s and not really worth it, trust me I looked. I hate to say it but the Iphone is getting dated. I really can tell you it took me about a day to get used to the size, and mine fits in my pocket fine. The s pen is so cool and watching videos on it is amazing. I did so much research before making my pick for my new phone and there is a reason this phone is getting so much love on phonedog and pocketnow ect ect... Its just that cool. Go for it!

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I wish I knew someone with this phone. It would make my decision a lot easier. I can only tell so much about the size from seeing it in the store. My main concern about the size isn't so much while I'm using it, but more so when I'm not using it (anywhere other than my own home). I just feel like something that big may be inconvenient to carry around.

It seems like there are a lot of former iphone users who are happy with the Note 2, so that is reassuring lol I do like the idea of having two android devices (since I just got a Nexus 10). It seems like that makes more sense than having a foot in both the ios and android world.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
either throw it in a pocket, purse (if female), or get a belt clip case. it's not that hard to tote around!!

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I honestly believe a phone in a backside pocket is like throwing money out the Window myself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming he means you'll likely break your phone if it is regularly kept in your back pocket. I would ideally like it to fit comfortably in my front jeans pockets as well as in the pockets of gym shorts and sweatpants.

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for 10 days and I am already used to the size, but I came from a 4.3" screen. I absolutely love this phone and its my favorite out of the last dozen or so Android phones. My son has a Iphone 5 (just left a G Nex) and its a beautifully crafted device, but its the same ole, same ole since 07 and I would be bored with that in a matter of days. He doesn't care about customizing nor does he spend that much time on his phone since all his gaming is on his PC.
If you enjoy a solid, simple, well crafted phone, stick with the Iphone. If you want the latest and greatest hardware combined with the latest and greatest software on a ultra smooth and ultra fast handset with a stunning screen and killer camera, get the Note 2. Its not well suited for front pockets though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Any advantages I'd be missing out on of not having and android phone to go along with my android tablet? (besides the obvious, not having to buy apps twice) I'm still new to the android world, thus, still learning what they're capable of.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Note 2 this Chirstmas, my first android phone coming from iPhone 4. Ever since I heard about this Note 2 I was obsessed and I knew I had to have it! The size is never the issue for me when the return is a beautiful large screen. People always complain about the size of the Note 2, but to me, I think of the screen. And when I use/hold my Note 2, I don't think of holding a phone(like I do with the iPhone), I think of holding an actual Device for multi-purpose.
I went back to my iPhone 4 just to clear everything of what's in there, and damn, the difference showed, not just the size but of everything. I did feel like I'm holding a Fisher Price phone toy when I held my iPhone 4 again...
Note 2, never looking back...

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
At this point I'm now debating if I should just wait for the GS4. If it releases first quarter of 2013 it may be worth the wait for me. If it's a slightly smaller GN2 than it sounds perfect to me.

HeLLb0y

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Coming from experience, I had the iPhone 5. Its nice and all but its the same stuff as before just a half an inch longer. I had it for a week and my home button stopped working. I was like, WTF this phone is brand new. So i tried dealing with it for a day. Didnt happen. After Work, Went back to Best Buy and got the Note 2. Now I have big hands so the size doesnt bother me. Everything is awesome about it. The Camera is about the same if not better than my experience with the i5. I dont wear skinny pants or jeans so my Note 2 fits fine. Its also fine when Im sitting down. Sound is incredible. I havent had it hooked up to my car....yet. Thats coming tho. The Note 2 is just the way to go. I highly doubt that you would regret it.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I have never understood the appeal of iPhone. It looks great but it just seems years behind in customization. I love my Note 2. I have a leather wrap around case that has credit card slots and a pocket for cash. I no longer carry a wallet. This a little bigger than the wallet I used to carry. It will fit in any pocket of any pair of pants I own, even my suits. When comes to Android and Apple, it really depends on what features you want. The camera is on the GN2 is fine for me. I don't take very many pictures anyways. I was considering the iPhone 5 before it came out but once I saw it, I knew it wouldn't be enough for me. I think Android will be the only true option for the next few years.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So I am looking to upgrade from my current phone (3 year old iphone 3gs - yeah, I know lol) to either the Note 2 or iphone 5. Only thing making this a difficult choice for me is the sheer size of the Note 2. Feature wise, I think it is clearly the superior phone.

How practical is the size of the phone in day to day use, mobility wise? How well would you say it fits in pants pockets? Can you sit with it in your pockets comfortably? How difficult is it to navigate around with one hand? (I'm average size, with average size hands) I don't talk on the phone often, so I'm not worried about it potentially feeling awkward next to my ear.

My uses for the phone would be primarily for texting, web browsing, and music. Nothing really work or school related.

How does this phone rate as a primary music device as compared to the iphone 5? I listen to most music while driving and presumably would have all of my music loaded on a 64gig sd card. I wouldn't watch many videos/movies as I have my tablet for those tasks, although if I ever needed to, the large screen seems like it would be ideal. I also doubt I would do many handwritten notes, though yet again, the ability to do so is certainly nice.

At the end of the day, I'll have to play with one to determine if I could make the size work. I was just hoping to get some opinions on if this phone would be ideal for my intended uses, more so than the iphone 5.

Worth it's weight in GOLD ! In all aspects. Best device I've ever owned including crapple

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Went to AT&T today and checked the N2 out for the first time. It's definitely big.... but not overwhelming. I couldn't really get a great feel for it with all of the bs cords and security devices tied to it though. It's definitely a lot more intriguing of a phone than the iphone......

I'm still contemplating just waiting out the GS4 though. If its release in April is confirmed I think I'll go for it.