GN2 now or wait for GS4?

Tom74

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So heres my situation. I have a droid charge that im tired of. The thing has become frustratingly slow. My line isn't due for an upgrade until Feb 28 but I have my mother in law on our account whos upgrade I could transfer now. I've been really intrigued by the note II and finally went into the verizon store to see it in person and loved it. Was worried about the size but in my big hands my thumb can just reach the whole screen. Seems just the right size.

But this whole time I have figured with my upgrade being at the end of February I might as well wait it out until the eventual release of the galaxy s 4. Rumored to release sometime between march and may. I know I won't be switching phones for almost 2 years when my next upgrade is available and want the most powerful phone I can get at the time. I know nobody knows the specs for the S4 but its bound to be even more impressive than the note II with possibly a 5 inch screen using new screen technology. My mind is made up between the GN2 or the GS4. And if I get the note II, neither my wife nor mother in law will want to take it when my upgrade come in Feb so I could get an S4 at that time like I expect some to suggest.

So I guess the question is for people who are more familiar than I am about how fast the industry moves, how much better do you think the GS4 can really be than the note II? And how future proof do you think the note II is? Will someone who wants the best phone available still be happy with the note II 20 months from now without having phone envy?

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So heres my situation. I have a droid charge that im tired of. The thing has become frustratingly slow. My line isn't due for an upgrade until Feb 28 but I have my mother in law on our account whos upgrade I could transfer now. I've been really intrigued by the note II and finally went into the verizon store to see it in person and loved it. Was worried about the size but in my big hands my thumb can just reach the whole screen. Seems just the right size.

But this whole time I have figured with my upgrade being at the end of February I might as well wait it out until the eventual release of the galaxy s 4. Rumored to release sometime between march and may. I know I won't be switching phones for almost 2 years when my next upgrade is available and want the most powerful phone I can get at the time. I know nobody knows the specs for the S4 but its bound to be even more impressive than the note II with possibly a 5 inch screen using new screen technology. My mind is made up between the GN2 or the GS4. And if I get the note II, neither my wife nor mother in law will want to take it when my upgrade come in Feb so I could get an S4 at that time like I expect some to suggest.

So I guess the question is for people who are more familiar than I am about how fast the industry moves, how much better do you think the GS4 can really be than the note II? And how future proof do you think the note II is? Will someone who wants the best phone available still be happy with the note II 20 months from now without having phone envy?

1080p displays will be coming out in all the flagship devices this coming year, heck there's devices with them already. A faster processor and probably a better camera will also be on board, I would wait for the s4 ; worst case scenario you buy a note2 now and the s4 grabs your attention. Wait for s4, if you don't like it then get a discounted note2.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk HD

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who keeps their phone for
20 months might have phone envy.
That being said, I'd wait for the Galaxy S4.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The thing is they're two different purposed devices.

As of right now there's nothing I can't do on my Galaxy Note 2 with a reason of too slow of hardware. Literally it's just fast and I can't imagine experiencing "faster" anytime soon.

If the S4 had a 1080p Pentile screen, I'd rather stick with my 720p RGB on my Note 2 hands down. Do not buy into the bogus pentile higher resolution claims. Pentile is an abomination and I am so happy that on a whim I researched the Note 2 and found out it didn't use that tech. It's the only reason I pulled the trigger on this phone and man was I happy.

My honest recommendation? If you can handle the size (which you seem to not mind) and have use for the amazing S Pen, then I would say go ahead and get the Galaxy Note 2, enjoy it and sit on it for a solid year or two, and when it's time for your next phone get the Note 3. It will not only probably not have the shoddy Pentile screen the S4 will likely have (if it goes 1080p) but it will also treat you right with your expectations of a Note. Once you use this phone in your own personal life for a week, you'll never want a non-Note device again. I guarantee it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to android, there is always something new and improved coming around the corner. If you keep waiting for the next new thing you never will upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tom74

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to android, there is always something new and improved coming around the corner. If you keep waiting for the next new thing you never will upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I was going to put something along these lines in my opening post knowing someone would say it. Definitely have no plans to wait past the GS4. I just know its release should be close to my lines actual upgrade on feb 28 if I dont take my mother in laws upgrade before then. After having a night to think about it, Im going to try to be patient enough to wait for my date on feb 28 and hope by then there is more info on the gs4. And like a previous poster said, if I know by then that the gs4's screen will be 1080p but pentile I will just get the note II at that point.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
They are two completely different devices.

You have to first have clarity on what you will use the device for. If it's a smartphone you need then the rumored GS4, along with a host of other great smartphones on the market now, and to be available later, will satisfy your needs.

However, if you want the features of a smartphone, a display large enough to serve as a mini tablet and eReader, the convenience of an electronic notepad, all packaged in an all-in-one device, then only Note 2 delivers.

The Note 2 makes possible what no other single device offers. It gives the user, if they desire, the option to own and carry one device to meet their media, creativity, and productivity needs.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Tom74

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
They are two completely different devices.

You have to first have clarity on what you will use the device for. If it's a smartphone you need then the rumored GS4, along with a host of other great smartphones on the market now, and to be available later, will satisfy your needs.

However, if you want the features of a smartphone, a display large enough to serve as a mini tablet and eReader, the convenience of an electronic notepad, all packaged in an all-in-one device, then only Note 2 delivers.

The Note 2 makes possible what no other single device offers. It gives the user, if they desire, the option to own and carry one device to meet their media, creativity, and productivity needs.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Rumor has the GS4 having a 5 inch screen with an s pen which would make them very similar devices. So it would basically be a smaller note. Which I think alot of people would want. But at this point nobody really knows. Going to have to be patient a little longer and wait for more specific details to emerge.

Lastnv

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Remember if you're trying to upgrade expect the release of the phone on a carriers to be 3-6 months after the rumored date considering their slow history.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Waiting is only good if you're not in need of a phone and suffering from phone envy. Or your are trying to justify holding on to your existing phone. If you're in that boat, hold off for the S4.

However of you are in need of a phone the GN2 is an excellent phone. I held off getting the Note 1 because it wasn't enough specs it seemed a lot of corners where sacrificed. With the Note II that was not the case. Not only did they put the best specs on the phone, the specs are good enough to make the phone relevant for years. I have the Note II and it's hands down the best phone I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Great... now I have a tougher decision to make. Looks like my 3gs will have to suffice me a few more months....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Jason Cole1

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The gs4 will not have an s-pen and word has it its the gn2 that will receive a good many of the gs4's features. And my Gn2 has been flooded with app updates the past few days like it did when 4.1.2 rolled out hopefully 4.2.2 is on its way along with the gs4.