Possible defective battery or charger?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
So I've had this phone for about 3 weeks now, and everything has been working perfectly. However, two days ago, things started to get weird. First, my phone started dying a little quicker than it had previously. I was a little worried because I was barely using it, but didn't really pay attention to it too much. It was at 65% when I plugged it in before going to bed. When I woke up, about 8 hours later, it was only at 85%. I got even more worried, but let it finish it's charging cycle. That day, I watched my phone, and it seemed like it went back to normal, with its percent drop rate seemingly the same as it had been. Again, before going to bed, I plugged it in at something like 79%. 6 hours later, I wake up, and see that it's only at 89%. I began to get frustrated. I looked at my battery stats, and it says that it will take NINE hours to fully charge. I restarted my phone without it being plugged in. When I plugged it back in and looked at the stats, it was at 96%, and said there were 5 minutes left on the charge cycle. Again, I was puzzled, because surely a restart couldn't make it go from 9 hours left to five minutes. Anyways, I left it plugged in, content, but when I cam back 15 minutes later, it was still charging. I looked at the stats once again, and saw that there were now 10 minutes left, when it should have been at 100% ten minutes prior.

Surely this is a mistake? Is there a fix I can do? I've been getting incredible battery life before this issue.

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Update: it now seems to be discharging.

I plugged it in at 11%. In fifteen minutes, it went up to 18%. I felt relieved. Then, another fifteen minutes later, I looked at the phone again, and saw that it was at only 19%. I'm starting to get really worried. I've deleted all applications that I got right before and after this problem. Could it be my phone? Or the battery? Or charger? There's another note ii in my household. Could I do tests using that battery or charger?

As for the discharging, as I'm typing this, the percent drops every two minutes or so. Here are photos.

If I was to go talk to someone about this, would I go to Best Buy where I got my phone? Or Verizon? I'm well past the 14 day verizon thing, but am inside best buy's 30 days. Does that mean anything for me?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357108714576.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357108714576.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 86
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357108730238.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357108730238.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 88

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It possible that you need to recalibrate your battery.

First, fully charge it
Second, unplug the phone and put on the full brightness and leave the screen the whole time. Let the battery drain all the way to 0%
Third, after the battery died, leave it alone for two hours
Fourth, leave your phone off and let it charge fully
Fifth, once it get full, leave the charger stay connected for four hours after it reach 100%
Sixth, unplug the charger and see what happen

It happened to me once on my older phone and doing this fix the Phantom dying battery. Sometime battery need to be recalibrate

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Your charging port is messed up. It should not be dying with use while plugged in. Take it in for a replacement. Take your charger and demo the problem

sent from Galaxy Note 2

SumthinNew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I noticed on your screen cap, that location service/gps icon is on.
If I'm not wrong, I believe your device is discharging at a quicker rate as the gps is constantly on and trying to lock in a signal?
Though you may have closed and erased many "culprit apps", this may be a major factor.
Try to close everything or delete all apps that require location services.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The locations icon is always there no matter if you have all location services turned off. It's the emergency signal

sent from Galaxy Note 2

SumthinNew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The locations icon is always there no matter if you have all location services turned off. It's the emergency signal

sent from Galaxy Note 2

Hmm....must be carrier specific, because my Note II on the Rogers network (Canadian service provider) has no such icon "on all the time".

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I will test the charging with another note II charging cable in my house (my fathers). If it turns out that my charger is faulty, how would i go about getting a new one? Because now I am seeing that the discharge happens sometimes, as it was fine last night, and I don't want to take it into Verizon and show them my "problem," and have them see no problem at all. If I had to order a new one, what should I look for? I am assuming I can't just order any old "micro USB charger."

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Your charging port is messed up. It should not be dying with use while plugged in. Take it in for a replacement. Take your charger and demo the problem

sent from Galaxy Note 2

The charger cable thay comes with it is junk and doesn't align or lock in right, my phone wouldn't even charge unless it was off... Once I swapped the cable it was fine..

Sent From My Note 2 Via Tapatalk

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

sent from Galaxy Note 2

I mean the charging port of the actual phone. Like the circuitry going from the port to the power supply

sent from Galaxy Note 2

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I will test the charging with another note II charging cable in my house (my fathers). If it turns out that my charger is faulty, how would i go about getting a new one? Because now I am seeing that the discharge happens sometimes, as it was fine last night, and I don't want to take it into Verizon and show them my "problem," and have them see no problem at all. If I had to order a new one, what should I look for? I am assuming I can't just order any old "micro USB charger."

Try using someone's usb to micro usb cable, the adapter maybe just fine, but the cable doesn't connect right for me... The adapter that comes with the phone is more powerful (~2 amps?) than the common generic micro usb chargers, since the phone has such a massive battery...

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought my port was defective for a good amount of time, I wish they had a door for it and that it was on the top of the phone like the SGS 1..

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a bunch of usb to micro usb cables because I've so many android phones. I'll test it out tonight and see if it drains. I also noticed that my adapter emits a faint, but noticeable if you're close to it, humming sound. Is that normal?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I just tried an old LG cosmos usb to micro usb charger that I had used on my thunderbolt, but it wouldn't even start charging my note. I will just take my phone into the store and show them the discharge problem. Would I go to Best Buy where I got my note, or a verizon store?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
So I haven't actually taken my phone in yet, because I wanted to do one last test. I tried using another galaxy note 2 usb cable, and it worked fine. Fast charge, and no discharge while using the device. What does this mean? That the cables I was using are bad? Or that my phone is bad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC