Disable Soft/Capacitive Keys?

bryanc38

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, I keep hitting the back button in landscape or even when I set the phone down. I HATE those glowing soft keys! Is there a way to turn them off for a but? When playing a game in the dark they are constantly glowing- the only app they turn off is YouTube.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Not that I've found. If prefer the onscreen keys of stock android to the capacitive buttons. I'm always pushing back when writing with the Spen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
You can't disable them since they are the important function for the phone. However you can get disable the light on the soft key. Go to setting > display > go all the way to the bottom and click Touch Key Light Duration then click always off. That will disable the light. And that all you can do for now

I can understand the annoyance since I came from hard key. It take me a while to get used to not to rest my hand or palm on the soft key. Took me 3 weeks to get used to it

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Root your phone. Get a file explorer that can use the root to edit system files. Go to system, usr, keylayout, and open generic.kl with a text editor, find keys 158 and 139 and put a "#" sign in front of both. Save the file and reboot phone. Then go to settings and disable the light. They are now fully disabled.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
If you disable them, you can add software keys by simply editing your build.prop file. Add the following line to the end with root explorer and reboot.

qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Rjyusmc2005

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I know of this thread is a bit old, but I'll ask here anyway.
You wouldn't know how to modify the buttons shown when you enable the software keys, would you? Been trying to figure it out, but without switching to a cm based rom, I haven't found a solution yet.

Hasem

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I know of this thread is a bit old, but I'll ask here anyway.
You wouldn't know how to modify the buttons shown when you enable the software keys, would you? Been trying to figure it out, but without switching to a cm based rom, I haven't found a solution yet.

If you mean a theme for the software keys, consider xstana, a xposed module.

unknownsyed

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
One of the best or the only ways are by downloading these 2 apps. There is a long video explaining it but I can explain it to you, Download All In One Gestures from play store and then turn the back home buttons off by clicking on single tap , then scroll to the bottom and click no action.
do the same with long press and same for the other ones. you will then end up having no buttons , fix that problem by downloading simple control and follow the tutorial of the app.

Did not understand anything? Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHvnCCujRt4