Anti virus

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, haven't had my phone for a week yet and love the fact that is nice and clean (meaning I don't have a millions things currently running on it). My last phone (galaxy fascinate) I was running avast, but don't want to slow this one down at all as I love the performance right now. The less "crap running" the better.

However that being said wondering if I'm ok running without an AV app or.... I'm pretty careful with what I install etc and if I do download an app (apk) from my win7 machine I always full scan the file before transferring to phone etc.

What are your guys thoughts are? (currently on the phone typing this so can't easily search for whether this has been discussed a million times already.... Apologies if so...

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks NotJustAPhone (& of course Jerry), that's a great post!

I personally use Avast on all my devices, not so much for the anti-virus part, but mainly for the locator - just in case I ever misplace my device.

As far as performance, it's not noticeable on the Note 2. On my Droid X & Incredible (single cores), it was noticeable. On my Acer A500 (dual core), it's barely noticeable. On my wife's S3 (dual core), it's not noticeable. With the quad core in this bad boy, it's well worth the millisecond of extra time in exchange for my piece of mind.

Try it, you can always uninstall it.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
AV software is really not necessary on android at the moment. What people call viruses are really just poorly written apps to make those guys more money. The good thing is you can flesh them out by reading comments normally, going over permissions, and common sense of knowing what you're downloading. I'm my many years on android I have not once used an antivirus. Most people get a lot of misconceptions from the media and internet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
thanks everyone. I installed Zoner just to be safe, but realize i'll probably never "need" it. I guess its the whole, "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Use no antivirus, instead use your head when downloading.

If you are going to use an antivirus, you may as well load up advanced task killer also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

If you are going to use an antivirus, you may as well load up advanced task killer also.

Don't forget juice defender as well lmfao all of them are scams

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I agree, completely. Antivirus is not necessary with Android if you use even the smallest dose of commonsense when downloading apps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what my point was supposed to be (as I use common sense when dl'ing... My pc has Never had anything suspicious on it so... ) in original post but oh well. So far zoner has not affected anything at all though. So will leave it as is for now. If anything changes I'll report back either way.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1