Anyone else notice cropped wallpaper images just look bad on the Note?

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to optimize wallpaper to work better with the 720 hd resolution? At the moment, I'm sticking with the stock wallpapers because they are formatted in such a way that they really make the screen shine. Every time I go with a picture from my camera or downloaded from the Internet, it just ends up blurry and ugly looking, bringing me right back to the stock feather wallpaper.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to optimize wallpaper to work better with the 720 hd resolution? At the moment, I'm sticking with the stock wallpapers because they are formatted in such a way that they really make the screen shine. Every time I go with a picture from my camera or downloaded from the Internet, it just ends up blurry and ugly looking, bringing me right back to the stock feather wallpaper.

I do notice that on some pictures while others appear fine. It is the result of image size before cropping obviously but some crop better than others depending on the resolution. I turn off wallpaper scrolling so that limits the resolution to 720x1280. I just search for wallpapers of that exact resolution and everything looks fine.

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to edit wallpaper to be that resolution? I wanted something very specific as my wallpaper but can't seem to find it in the right resolution.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to edit wallpaper to be that resolution? I wanted something very specific as my wallpaper but can't seem to find it in the right resolution.

I don't believe that you can do it directly on the phone, you would need to use a program on your computer to do the job.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Gimp is free and works well for image editing.
GIMP is the way to go. It has a bit of a learning curve but there are plenty of tutorials on youtube. You could use windows paint but even though it's easy to use it's a lot more work for less than perfect results.

With GIMP: Start with something large and figure out what part of it you want on the screen. Create a blank image of 720x1280. Open your desired image. You may wish to scale it down if it's really big.
Select the pic and do a copy. Go to the blank window and paste it in. It will overlay the blank and only 720x1280 of it will be visible. Move the image around to get the exact cropping you wish, then anchor the layer and save it as a jpeg.
Put it on the phone and enjoy :)

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick tutorial. That's faster than the way I've been doing it for sure. I won't divulge how that is to stave off confusion.

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
GIMP is the way to go. It has a bit of a learning curve but there are plenty of tutorials on youtube. You could use windows paint but even though it's easy to use it's a lot more work for less than perfect results.

With GIMP: Start with something large and figure out what part of it you want on the screen. Create a blank image of 720x1280. Open your desired image. You may wish to scale it down if it's really big.
Select the pic and do a copy. Go to the blank window and paste it in. It will overlay the blank and only 720x1280 of it will be visible. Move the image around to get the exact cropping you wish, then anchor the layer and save it as a jpeg.

Wow thanks! Going to try this today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I recently discovered an app called wallpaper wizardrii it worked well for me. I can now put the whole image up without that pesky cropping.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the app, I really disliked how the phone automatically made my large images smaller. Didn't even think an app would help fix this. All is well with the world again. :)

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I found an option in iPhoto to set it to the correct resolution. It looks ok, but not great. I think it's the picture itself and not the resolution.
pu6umyzu.jpg

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Lol, that's pretty much like photoshop. Does it give you the option to rasterize? That, alone will save many an image from pixelation from the stretching.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it does. But I'm lazy and whenever possible choose an image of the correct size (or larger) :D

GIMP can do almost* anything photoshop can and it's FREE!

*I don't know about the more advanced power user features, maybe it can do anything (?)

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Lol, I just have it and have used it for years, so I just use it.

But free is always good as long as it rasters!

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci