help with a case

mmcconaughy

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I know that cases are all about personal preference. I get that, but I havent had a case on a phone for at least 4 years. My original DInc didnt have one, or does the Droid Charge that I have now. I am purchasing the SGN2 on Monday, (with hopes that best buy will match the letstalk.com price...but thats for another time:) ) and am thinking I better wrap this baby up. So with all of that being said, I am looking for some opinions. I dont want to just buy a bunch of cases off ebay or amazon, only to go through the process of doing a bunch of returns.

I think that I want a hard case, not TPU because I think of TPU being rubbery and tough to get in and out of a pocket. I am not sure if I want a kickstand or not. I watch some videos and movies, but not a ton, so do I really need one? I havent had one in the past, will I utilize it? I would like one that goes around all the edges of the phone and has a slight lip on the front so when I set it face down, the screen isnt just laying on the surface. I really like the look of the OEM protective case, but are the edges too rubbery that it will pocket easily? I plan on pocketing the phone so I want it to go in and out of my pocket easily. For those of you that use a holster, do you prefer it to pocketing? If so, why?

I dont want a flip cover, I think that the flip will just get in the way when I want to take videos and pictures. I dont want too much added bulk, but I do want some protection against drops. I am planning on getting the white phone, so I dont know if I want to get a white color, or maybe black or silver to have some contrast.

All in all, I think I know what I want, but I am looking for some suggestions. I have been crusing the forums here, amazon, ebay, and shopandroid looking at them and just cant find anything that really covers what I "think" that I want. Some thoughts and ideas are appreciated!!!

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi there well I have what I think is the perfect combination on this stunning phone :) I have a Spigen Ultra Crystal screen protector I am usually useless applying these but this one was so easy and no bubbles at all it is a quality protector and you do not know you even have one on there, next I didn't want to add much bulk to the note so I got a Seidio Surface case this is a lovely black case which has a really nice feel to it, it fits so well and doesn't add much bulk at all so your phone is protected but yet it is still slim.

I couldn't be happier with my choices and I know these products aren't that cheap BUT this expensive lovely phone deserves the best doesn't it :)

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the best buy version of the seidio surface. I believe the brand is PT Platinum series or something like that. Anyhow its a 2 piece slide together case with a built in metal kickstand. It also comes with a belt holster. I havent used that so cant comment on it much other thsn its hard plastic as well. Ive had the case for about a month and has held up just fine. I have no issue sliding it in and out of my pockets. The kickstand is very nice as well. I think the price was like $34

Sent via Tapatalk

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh I forgot to say that I love the kickstand it's great. In fact after coming from an iPhone 4 I just adore/love/worship/ my stunning note 2 :)

mmcconaughy

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I was looking at the best buy version of the seidio case and wondering if it would be too rubbery. Good to know!

Anyone else?

orgelbau

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I use the Speck Candyshell. It is more protective than a TPU case because of its dual layers. Hard shell out, protective rubber (or a more dense silicone) in. It maintains a thin profile and fits and blends with the design of the phone so well that it is hard to tell there's a case on at a quick glance. No problems at all with pocket sliding due to the hard shell. It has a raised edge that protects the bezel and screen if the phone is dropped or placed screen down on a table. High end fit and finish... I like it. To me it was the best combination I found of style, protection, and thin profile.

I also own the Seidio Surface, a TPU, and a cheap snap on with kickstand. The Speck is the most protective of the bunch while only being a hair thicker than the Surface. It's my favorite.

mmcconaughy

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Just to update I got my local best buy to MATCH the letstalk.com Price of $200. I also decided to go with the platinum series case similar to the Seidio surface case. out the door for less than $230,and so far VERY happy with my purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have an eBay $6 special black and lime green with kickstand that's actual decent quality... I love the kickstand, if course I'm coming from a photon that had one built in...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the best buy version of the seidio surface. I believe the brand is PT Platinum series or something like that. Anyhow its a 2 piece slide together case with a built in metal kickstand. It also comes with a belt holster. I havent used that so cant comment on it much other thsn its hard plastic as well. Ive had the case for about a month and has held up just fine. I have no issue sliding it in and out of my pockets. The kickstand is very nice as well. I think the price was like $34

Sent via Tapatalk

This one is worth a try. It is smooth so it will pocket easily, plus you get a holster if you want to try it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a case for a phone before, but the cost of this phone made me re-think that (along with its extremely thin form factor, which means even with a case, it's not bulky).

After looking over a lot of cases online, I ended up buying one in a little Verizon store in NYC for $15. Could I have gotten one for less? Probably, but this store let me put the phone in the case to see how it looked and felt, which was just about perfect for me.

These things are so personal that I think spending a little more to buy one from a bricks-and-mortar store where you can see and feel the specific case might be a good idea for many people. Just another perspective.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a case for a phone before, but the cost of this phone made me re-think that (along with its extremely thin form factor, which means even with a case, it's not bulky).

After looking over a lot of cases online, I ended up buying one in a little Verizon store in NYC for $15. Could I have gotten one for less? Probably, but this store let me put the phone in the case to see how it looked and felt, which was just about perfect for me.

These things are so personal that I think spending a little more to buy one from a bricks-and-mortar store where you can see and feel the specific case might be a good idea for many people. Just another perspective.

I actually tested mine at a cell phone case store before I bought it... $25 in mall or $6 online...?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2