[Cool] Can a Note 2 replace a PC

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I saw the 13 min video last week and came away very impressed. The answer to that question after watching the proof in the video is a resounding yes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this video a week ago as well and its quite impressive but lets be real here, its not replacing a pc for the general user who works on a desktop like myself. I need it to run sign software that runs large format digital print machines, water/rotary/laser engravers, plotters and more! These software and machines take up immense computer processing power. You can't quite do that with a phone......yet! The Note 2 is great for is surfing the web.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That video is amazing. Watched it awhile back......mobile tech has come a long way. Love these theory videos.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this video a week ago as well and its quite impressive but lets be real here, its not replacing a pc for the general user who works on a desktop like myself. I need it to run sign software that runs large format digital print machines, water/rotary/laser engravers, plotters and more! These software and machines take up immense computer processing power. You can't quite do that with a phone......yet! The Note 2 is great for is surfing the web.

Lol, your using a workstation! Lol! There isa difference as i use one also. In that case, of course not, but for basic surfing and non intensive things (cad, editing, calculations, multimedia, industrial, etc do not fall into this category) the phone is actually strong enough to perform quite a bit of tasks quite well.

As long as you have a bluetooth keyboard, mouse, usb otg cable, and a Usb flash drive, I am able to do quite a few things.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Nice video. I saw the video with someone using the Note 2 Smart Dock, which looks like a really cool accessory (HDMI output plus USB ports). It needed Ultimate Rotation Control added for landscape mode, but it really showed more of what can be done, from plugging in HDMI and USB at the same time, even using a USB hub, keyboard, mouse, and so on. I really like that setup - just drop the Note 2 into the Smart Dock and set the screen to landscape, and you have a pretty good desktop replacement.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Lol, your using a workstation! Lol! There isa difference as i use one also. In that case, of course not, but for basic surfing and non intensive things (cad, editing, calculations, multimedia, industrial, etc do not fall into this category) the phone is actually strong enough to perform quite a bit of tasks quite well.

As long as you have a bluetooth keyboard, mouse, usb otg cable, and a Usb flash drive, I am able to do quite a few things.

So you agree with me! Lol! :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
The usa version can't seem to do all of those things he showed. I can't add items to my side bar menu and I can't play 4 videos at once.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The usa version can't seem to do all of those things he showed. I can't add items to my side bar menu and I can't play 4 videos at once.

Yeah Unfortunately we need to root the phone

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess it could for Internet use but my Pc is a high end gaming rig so no way. Really depends on your intended usage.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The Sad thing is, due to all they are pulling off the device, your almost being forced to do so. I know I had no intention of rooting my device until I realized that they werent going to enable all that it could do. Now, I am happier than I ever have been with a device.

richard hodge

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow, cool video. I've been trying to plug my note2 into the tv via HDMI today but it looks like the old model HDMI adapter don't work with the newest phones. Would be really cool if I could use the phone as a pc, my pc and phone both broke at the same time and I could only afford to replace one, so I chose the phone cos I already do most of my blog browsing on the phone. Not sure if I'm going to try and set up the phone pc or save my pennies to buy a laptop. One thing that bothers me is that if you need to buy new cables etc everything you update your phone it going to be a major hassel and expensive. Not sure how the media dock with HDMI will work out, will it still charge the phone in landscape position, it don't look like it

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The Sad thing is, due to all they are pulling off the device, your almost being forced to do so. I know I had no intention of rooting my device until I realized that they werent going to enable all that it could do. Now, I am happier than I ever have been with a device.

I was too forced to root & flash custom ROM on to my 3 week old GN2.:p
This makes the GN2 rocks even more!

BTW- this video is a few months old....I saw this back then and had to wait for my beloved GN2

Josphe72

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried this for the fun of it.
Looked great on the 40" SmartTV.
Not really practical and it can't replace my pc but it worked really well.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried this for the fun of it.
Looked great on the 40" SmartTV.
Not really practical and it can't replace my pc but it worked really well.

That's why I tagged it [cool] not practical lol

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk