So, I've been looking at the smart dock and as I suspected there is no possibility of docking the phone in landscape position. This for me is a major drawback, great that you can plug your tv in easy but what if you want to plug in a keyboard and mouse but use the phone screen or you want to charge the phone while watching a movie in bed without having to hold the phone all the time. I'm definitely going to get one once Samsung has resolved this issue even though it's a bit pricey, but without landscape docking it's just not flexible enough for the price. I don't suppose that Samsung reads these forums, but I can hope
    01-15-2013 12:37 PM
    Just get a flip cover or dock. The only thing that doesn't go into landscape is the home screen.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk
    01-15-2013 12:43 PM
    Install "Ultimate Rotation Control". It will let you change the screen to landscape. I use it on my Note 2 so I can use landscape mode while driving, or using the built-in stand in my Seidio case.

I'm looking at getting the Smart Dock as well. Landscape mode was something I was concerned about as well.
    DaRkL3AD3R likes this.
    01-15-2013 09:23 PM
    Install "Ultimate Rotation Control". It will let you change the screen to landscape. I use it on my Note 2 so I can use landscape mode while driving, or using the built-in stand in my Seidio case.

I'm looking at getting the Smart Dock as well. Landscape mode was something I was concerned about as well.
    Im waiting for the Smart Dock also....famous last words... No Inventory
    01-15-2013 10:08 PM
    Thanks guys, but the issue for me is being able to watch more movies on the phone while it's docked and stuff like that, I don't always have access to a tv, damn kids think they own the house and their mum agrees
    01-16-2013 07:25 AM
    Yeah, yours doesn't jump to landscape? It should! I watch at least two videos a day on mine.

Do you have smart stay enabled? Even without it on, it should jump to landscape.

01-16-2013 08:20 AM
    Yeah, yours doesn't jump to landscape? It should! I watch at least two videos a day on mine.

Do you have smart stay enabled? Even without it on, it should jump to landscape.

The phone goes to landscape but I can't find a docking option that let's me charge the phone in landscape, there is a work around with a kick stand and a regular lead, but that would never be as satisfying as just plugin the phone in the dock sideways and off you go
    01-16-2013 02:03 PM
    I suppose every person has their issues. Lol!

Good luck on that one with the majority of phones as their jacks are mostly on the bottom now. The closest your going to get, and honestly it would solve any issue is the 100.00 multimedia dock. Since that one has Usb on the sides to allow for peripherals. I have that and connect keyboard, mouse and a little monitor to it. But that's a lot to pay for the average person that just wants side connection to charging on a phone with this type of battery life.?

richard hodge likes this.
    01-16-2013 02:16 PM
    A very easy 2.99 fix to this is an app called ultimate rotation control you can set yore note to landscape mod no worries bro changes home screen and all full control
    02-22-2013 01:36 AM
    The phone goes to landscape but I can't find a docking option that let's me charge the phone in landscape, there is a work around with a kick stand and a regular lead, but that would never be as satisfying as just plugin the phone in the dock sideways and off you go
    Why not puck up a Motorola Universal Flip Stand? The flip is used for the RAZR but the bottom portion is for tablets and works with the Note II. Sure you need to plug the device in manually but it works for placing the phone side ways. Check one out at a Verizon store if needed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    rkeenan likes this.
    02-22-2013 07:25 PM
    A very easy 2.99 fix to this is an app called ultimate rotation control you can set yore note to landscape mod no worries bro changes home screen and all full control
    He didnt say it in his original post but je wants to charge and have it docked. Smart dock doesnt do this I think

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-22-2013 07:31 PM
    He didnt say it in his original post but je wants to charge and have it docked. Smart dock doesnt do this I think
    It does, but only in portrait. He wants it in landscape. As Matrox pointed out, with most phones having bottom power connectors, it's going to get pretty rare.
    I'd like a side dock so I could have it in landscape as an alarm clock while charging overnight. I miss that from my BB days.
    02-22-2013 08:06 PM
    I use a kickstand and connect my charger. Works fine for just about annything.

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-22-2013 11:22 PM
    I use a kickstand and connect my charger. Works fine for just about annything.

Sent via Tapatalk
    That is one thing Samsung could have used from HTC that awesome kickstand.
    02-23-2013 09:51 AM
    I do love my kickstand. I used it mostly to watch movies and hulu when im getting ready for bed.
    02-24-2013 11:57 PM
    03-22-2013 04:25 PM
    If you just need landscape and USB connectors, you can use this instead :
    LiveDock multimedia station - Sony Smartphones (UK)

(there are also Samsung docks where landscape is possible, but without connectors)
    05-15-2013 07:24 AM
    Plug in a USB mouse and it automatically switches to landscape mode and turns off the screen. This is pretty much necessary not only to use the Note II as a computer but to charge it while watching movies too. If you don't turn off the phone screen, it says it is charging, but the power level keeps going down.

Over-all, I like the smart dock but the user interface leaves a lot to be desired. Common control keys like cut, paste, undo, etc. don't work. The mouse wheel works but it scrolls backwards from what I'm used to. Even with a keyboard attached, the touch keyboard pops up when I select a text-entry box.

Cool idea with lots of potential, but not yet ready for prime time. That is, only get one if you are willing to put up with a brand new feature that still needs work.
    05-26-2013 10:54 PM
    Plug in a USB mouse and it automatically switches to landscape mode and turns off the screen. This is pretty much necessary not only to use the Note II as a computer but to charge it while watching movies too. If you don't turn off the phone screen, it says it is charging, but the power level keeps going down.

Over-all, I like the smart dock but the user interface leaves a lot to be desired. Common control keys like cut, paste, undo, etc. don't work. The mouse wheel works but it scrolls backwards from what I'm used to. Even with a keyboard attached, the touch keyboard pops up when I select a text-entry box.

Cool idea with lots of potential, but not yet ready for prime time. That is, only get one if you are willing to put up with a brand new feature that still needs work.
    I have since my original post bought a smart dock and while does switch to landscape on homescreens it will only do it automatically if you plug the right kind of mouse/keyboard in. It has something to do with using a unified driver. I unfortunately do not know what that means and just went out and bought a logitech k400 mouse and keyboard combo. Works great but it does NOT switch to landscape i had to get the rotation control app so I could force the switch. With a little research I found that wired devices work great but if you do wireless be sure to read the specs before purchase to make sure it functions correctly with dock.

Copy, paste, and ALL the other functions work just fine just like they do when using a touch screen, but you must remember this aint windows and and some keys on a keyboard do not function like do in windows. If a keyboard is to be used alot then try using a keyboard helper app. Then you can program each button on the keyboard to do a function you need in android.

Simple things like bringing up the copy paste menu are easily brought by long pressing the left mouse clicker and the back button is used by a short press of the right click function on a mouse.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk
    05-29-2013 12:32 AM
    And the new Note 3 works with the smart dock as well:

10-26-2013 12:14 AM
    Just found out that the smart dock is note smart enough for the note 5. Actually the note 5 is not smart enough for the smart dock. See demo here:
    09-05-2015 11:17 AM