Switched Completely from iPhone 5 / iPad Mini to Galaxy Note 2

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Six days on the Note 2 since switching from iPhone 5. Totally got over iMessage in about two days. It's buggy, slow and unreliable anyway. Am loving the big screen but had to sacrifice the ease of one handed functionality with the iPhone which was more comfortable to hold. I figured that being able to READ the screen is more important anyway.

I have started to discover some really awesome apps when started to completely break away from the iPhone. For instance, I am really starting to appreciate Evernote more instead of relying on Apple's default Notes app. And OMG, Astrid is an amazing Task/To-Do list program which smokes Reminders. As for playing music, I've always been a fan of Google Play which is years ahead of Apple's Music Match. And finally, for piece of mind which heaven forbid I lose my phone or it gets stolen, Cerberus which has just about every feature the most paranoid person wants such as taking pictures of someone who inputs an incorrect passcode on your phone and tracking down their location, etc.

The Note 2 / Galaxy S3 takes really great closeup shots which is good for food photos! iPhone 5 on the other hand is better for landscape and low light shots but both cameras are pretty darn close in terms of overall quality. One of the things that I do miss is being able to use the volume button to take pictures and the shape of the iPhone 5 is perfect to use as an actual camera.

Both are really great devices but it really depends what you need out of your portable device. If you want a simple phone to send emails, text messages, take pictures and post on Facebook, the iPhone is great. Now if you want a smartphone that does EVERYTHING else and need the screen real estate for tasks that are suited to you - the Note 2 is an excellent solution. There's of course always the option of getting the Galaxy S3 which is sort of in between the two, but if you were to go big, you might as well get the best ;)

My iPhone 5 and iPad have both been collecting dust for almost a week!

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've found the low light setting in the camera to be actually above par...

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

mrclowny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I left the iPhone as well and I have zeeeero regrets! Note 2 by far is the best phone I've ever owned

I stopped using Evernote and just started to use S note when I need to make a list. I think I may not be using Evernote to it's full potential. Can you explain some features you like about evernote? Thanks.

Last edited:

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I recently upgraded from the iPhone too. She told me she didn't need a kindle or ipad mini. Win win.

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I still have my iPad mini... but only because I like reading magazines on it and there are apps that I specifically need for what I do.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I left my iphone 4s in mid December and haven't looked back. I am now considering a Note 10.1 when the VZ LTE version launches, in which case I will sell my LTE iPad3. I still like the bigger tablet to read books and magazines too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Dallas Parrott

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I just sold my Iphone 5 & Ipad 3 for the Note 2 & Note 10.1. I cant believe it took me so long to switch. I still have the 27inch 2013 imac however I like that these devices rarely if ever need to connect to the Imac anyway. I do miss iMessage because my entire family is using it and I can text my son on his ipod. I did however find an app called pocket cloud ( remote desktop) I can access on both the note 2 and 10.1. I will log in to send a quick iMessage to him so now I get the best of both worlds. I am very excited to learn all about android as I love the ability to customize the phone to make it work for me.. Not just what apple thinks I should have or need.

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
"One of the things that I do miss is being able to use the volume button to take pictures and the shape of the iPhone 5 is perfect to use as an actual camera."

You can set this up, click on the gear in the upper left and it gives you the option of how to use the volume button. It also allows you to speak commands if you select Take photos using voice, which is at the bottom of the settings list.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't recall seeing this. Where exactly? Maybe I don't have it on vzw?

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

In the menus you can set the Note 2 to take pictures by voice command,,,, it's a great feature,,,, I always use it.

On the other subjects,,,, I have an ipad 2, Nexus 10 and the Note 2,,,,,, while I do love my N2 I do miss the smaller one handed use of my iphone 5 (and all my past iPhones),,,,,,and since I like switching gadgets a lot,,,, I might go with the GS4 or the iphone 5s,,, depending on what these new generation phones have to offer,,,, yea, I'm weird,,, I like both platforms, Apple and Android.

Cheers
Davyo

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't recall seeing this. Where exactly? Maybe I don't have it on vzw?

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

yburujaj.jpg

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't see this on my Verizon Note II. I'm running 4.1.1.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

I don't think it is available on the Verizon variant, but you can use third party camera app like camera 360 which allows setting the volume button as the shoot button

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard a single person say that about iMessages and I have never experienced it.
My 53 year old eyes read the iPhone 5 screen just fine.
Every app you mentioned is available on iOS devices.
The iPhone 5 camera is much better in many ways than the S3 or Note 2. Even reviews on Android sites agree.
The iPad Mini runs full sized tablet apps.

Good for you that you like your Note 2 but you don't have to make up reasons why.

Six days on the Note 2 since switching from iPhone 5. Totally got over iMessage in about two days. It's buggy, slow and unreliable anyway. Am loving the big screen but had to sacrifice the ease of one handed functionality with the iPhone which was more comfortable to hold. I figured that being able to READ the screen is more important anyway.

I have started to discover some really awesome apps when started to completely break away from the iPhone. For instance, I am really starting to appreciate Evernote more instead of relying on Apple's default Notes app. And OMG, Astrid is an amazing Task/To-Do list program which smokes Reminders. As for playing music, I've always been a fan of Google Play which is years ahead of Apple's Music Match. And finally, for piece of mind which heaven forbid I lose my phone or it gets stolen, Cerberus which has just about every feature the most paranoid person wants such as taking pictures of someone who inputs an incorrect passcode on your phone and tracking down their location, etc.

The Note 2 / Galaxy S3 takes really great closeup shots which is good for food photos! iPhone 5 on the other hand is better for landscape and low light shots but both cameras are pretty darn close in terms of overall quality. One of the things that I do miss is being able to use the volume button to take pictures and the shape of the iPhone 5 is perfect to use as an actual camera.

Both are really great devices but it really depends what you need out of your portable device. If you want a simple phone to send emails, text messages, take pictures and post on Facebook, the iPhone is great. Now if you want a smartphone that does EVERYTHING else and need the screen real estate for tasks that are suited to you - the Note 2 is an excellent solution. There's of course always the option of getting the Galaxy S3 which is sort of in between the two, but if you were to go big, you might as well get the best ;)

My iPhone 5 and iPad have both been collecting dust for almost a week!

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Every review I have read say the S 3 and Note 2 camera are below par in low light. I assume the S 4 will improve on this. I haven't taken enough pictures with my Note 2 to tell but the iPhone 5 is hard to beat in low light and the Note 2 isn't even close.

Photo test: Samsung Galaxy Camera vs iPhone 5, S3, Lumia | CNET UK

I've found the low light setting in the camera to be actually above par...

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power