Will we ever be Able to put Apps on sd Card?also what's ur opinion??

executiveg

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I am running out of space on my phone to put apps. I have only about .5 of memory left on my phone.
I am very unsatified that we cant use the sd Card to move apps to. I feel like l got ripped of for my memory and thinking switching phones. Yes I heard if you root your phon you CAN use the sd to store apps. IS this true?? How hard is it to do after root?

Will Samsung ever update the phone so we can use the sd card??
Is there something else I can do?
This is getting me very frustrated very much. Wtf.

Let me know what u think.............
What other new phones that you can't use the sd card?? Why did Samsung do this?
I mit have to drop the note2 .
Did you guys know when you were buying the phone about this situation??
Also what do guys have left for memory? What are your plans if you run low??
Please also share your thoughts about Samsung only allowing 16gbs for apps/games which some reguire alot of memory/some over 1gb and not allowing the sd card for memory??

Sent from my Verizon Note 2.SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums .

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not Samsung it's Google... It started with ICS... Its the same on my HTC EVo LTE...

Dunno about Sammy, but HTC gave us 2gigs of dedicated app space(phone storage), and like 10 gigs of internal storage(now dubbed SD card in folder hierarchy) .. I have over a 120 apps and still have a GB of phone storage space left

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
How many apps you have? Better question is how many apps do you have that you don't use? I have over 100 apps and have plenty of space left .i totally agree with you about the whole sd card thing. Makes no sense. I have a 32 gig sd card in my phone that's basically useless. No i don't want to root my phone. Why did they bother to put it there?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

executiveg

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
It's not Samsung it's Google... It started with ICS... Its the same on my HTC EVo LTE...

Dunno about Sammy, but HTC gave us 2gigs of dedicated app space(phone storage), and like 10 gigs of internal storage(now dubbed SD card in folder hierarchy) .. I have over a 120 apps and still have a GB of phone storage space left

Oh. So all phones with ics can't use the sd card? My old phone is a htc thunderbolt. If they gave me a update on it to ics. I also wouldn't be able to use the sd card also?
How about in 3 more months u will not have that gb left. What will you do?

Why did Google do this on ics? They just gave us less storage to buy apps which means we spend less at play store?wtf I don't get it. Dumb idea. What do they expect us to do? Hahahah

Thanks for reply

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What you do is delete the old apps. If you ever need them you can download them again anyways. I have about 50 apps on my phone right now. Most I dont use regularly. If I run out of space I delete the most the ones I use the least. This really isnt any big deal.

Sent via Tapatalk

executiveg

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
How many apps you have? Better question is how many apps do you have that you don't use? I have over 100 apps and have plenty of space left .i totally agree with you about the whole sd card thing. Makes no sense. I have a 32 gig sd card in my phone that's basically useless. No i don't want to root my phone. Why did they bother to put it there?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I have about 70 apps downloaded. Also what is up with the miscellaneous storage files? That is straight garbage. I have Allot of huge Games.
Yes I agree with you also about the about the useless sd card now too. I need it for apps mostly.
I rooted my old phone also. Which became buggy and slow.
I don't want to root also because after its a pain to do updates.

I think it's a Google SCAM 100%. They don't want us to use the sd card for app storage because they want us to spend more money on phones with bigger storage. But when I went to Verizon they only offered the 16gb for sale. Wtf. I bet in a couple months they will offer the 64gb note2 so people that need more app storage will go out and buy it. BS SCAMMERS WANT TO MAKE MORE BILLIONS.
AGREE??
They need to fix this quick or I will become anti Google Android. And will spread this BS scam to everyone/everywhere. I wish I can smack the developers that thought of this.

They/or anyone need to come out with some hack to fix this. I would be willing to throw some money in the pot to fix this sd card useless situation.

Is everyone on the same Page with me? ?????

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have about 70 apps downloaded. Also what is up with the miscellaneous storage files? That is straight garbage. I have Allot of huge Games.
Yes I agree with you also about the about the useless sd card now too. I need it for apps mostly.
I rooted my old phone also. Which became buggy and slow.
I don't want to root also because after its a pain to do updates.

I think it's a Google SCAM 100%. They don't want us to use the sd card for app storage because they want us to spend more money on phones with bigger storage. But when I went to Verizon they only offered the 16gb for sale. Wtf. I bet in a couple months they will offer the 64gb note2 so people that need more app storage will go out and buy it. BS SCAMMERS WANT TO MAKE MORE BILLIONS.
AGREE??
They need to fix this quick or I will become anti Google Android. And will spread this BS scam to everyone/everywhere. I wish I can smack the developers that thought of this.

They/or anyone need to come out with some hack to fix this. I would be willing to throw some money in the pot to fix this sd card useless situation.

Is everyone on the same Page with me? ?????

There already is a developer made hack.

That will be 50$.

I am with you that they need to make the default storage larger, but we really can't complain. Most things can be put on the sdcard so the only ones really getting killed are the one that don't have a sdcard at all.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Easiest solution to this problem is simply to make sure all your apps store their data onto the external SD. Once you do this there will be plenty of space on the internal memory for apps.

I doubt anyone will ever come close to having 16GB of actual Android apps. At least, not in the useful lifetime of the GN2.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I have 201 apps on my 16GB Note 2. Apps to sd card would be nice but I still have 4gb left. I bought a ton of games but I only keep like 4 or 5 on my phone at a time because I want myself to be more productive lol. I do however understand the frustration with the situation.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence with this issue. I don't see myself going toward the limit, but I can see how it would be possible. A GPS app alone such as TomTom will take a minimum of 2.3 GB. With your 16 GB actually only being 11 GB, that's 20% of your storage with a GPS app alone.

Another no. I keep media on the SD card and I can't see running out of phone memory.

Before you go calling this a scam, go look up WHY Google did it.

Since you know why, can you not tell us or link us to an article? I assume it's something to do with piracy or security.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence with this issue. I don't see myself going toward the limit, but I can see how it would be possible. A GPS app alone such as TomTom will take a minimum of 2.3 GB. With your 16 GB actually only being 11 GB, that's 20% of your storage with a GPS app alone.

Since you know why, can you not tell us or link us to an article? I assume it's something to do with piracy or security.

It was a two fold thing first was piracy issues mainly pushes because of their media offerings aka movies and music.
The other part was performance its faster to run on internal storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also the added kicker of improper implementation by the oem. I will try and find the article when I get to a pc

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember well enough to explain it, but I found it easily with google. I mostly remember reading it and saying to myself "Oh. That's why." then not worrying about it. It's old news.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have 201 apps on my 16GB Note 2. Apps to sd card would be nice but I still have 4gb left. I bought a ton of games but I only keep like 4 or 5 on my phone at a time because I want myself to be more productive lol. I do however understand the frustration with the situation.

This has nothing to do with Google. This is the fault of using MTP and PTP instead the old way of having a true sdcard. So any phone that uses MTP will not be able to use apps to sd. There are both advantages and disadvantageous with the MTP technology.

Advantages:
1.no longer a need for dedicating an allotted space for apps.
2. Manufacturers don't need to to make different drivers for different computers or os's.
Disadvantages:
1. No apps to sd. At this point in time it's not possible and may never be.

There is a way to swap the storage though. Your phone will use your sd card as phone storage and the phone storage as the external. So when you install apps, they will go to your external sdcard.While I'm not sure if the mod is available for the gn2 yet, it is available for the gs3. I will look into it.

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think it's a tactic to get people to use the cloud.. it takes data to access your cloud storage, on top of the data spent uploading to the cloud to begin with... More data usage gives carriers an excuse to raise rates.. etc etc etc

One bonus is as it becomes more common to completely omit an SD slot altogether, batteries will start to get bigger as there is now more room..

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how it is a problem. To me, I'm glad that I don't have 516mb internal storage for my phone which MyTouch 4G. I was the early adaptor of Android. My first smartphone is HTC G1. It taught me a lot about how to ration my storage space. Usually I keep apps in my phone that I would use so often. I had like 10 games in my phone and 150 different apps. They both combined took like 3 GB of my storage. I used my sd card for my pictures and my video and I heavily used them.

Honestly I don't understand why people kept downloading apps on their phone and used them once. I seen many cases of this of iPhone user. Few of my friends actually filled out their own 16gb storage mostly for apps and never really used them on their iPhone.

If you have few apps that you never used it or used it once. Just delete them. You don't need them. That what I do every week, checking apps that I used once and delete them. Other thing you can do is clearing out the apps cache like browser cache or any apps that used so much cache.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
OK, here it is. Quote from a Google engineer:
We didn't do this because we wanted to use ext3 (although that is a side benefit.) We did it because we wanted to be able to merge the "public shared storage" (i.e. for music and photos) with the internal private app storage.

We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.
(I think that 2nd line is what piizzadude was referring to)

Full explanation here: Ice Cream Sandwich explained: MTP - what is it, why use it, and how to set it up | Android Central

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
This has nothing to do with Google. This is the fault of using MTP and PTP instead the old way of having a true sdcard. So any phone that uses MTP will not be able to use apps to sd. There are both advantages and disadvantageous with the MTP technology.

Advantages:
1.no longer a need for dedicating an allotted space for apps.
2. Manufacturers don't need to to make different drivers for different computers or os's.
Disadvantages:
1. No apps to sd. At this point in time it's not possible and may never be.

There is a way to swap the storage though. Your phone will use your sd card as phone storage and the phone storage as the external. So when you install apps, they will go to your external sdcard.While I'm not sure if the mod is available for the gn2 yet, it is available for the gs3. I will look into it.

Like I said, I have no need for moving anything from internal storage to the external SD card since I still have 4 gigs left. I don't really care to have games on my phone anyways. I just have a few games on here to keep the girlfriend occupied while I watch the news. The apps I use are primarily productivity and news apps. Thanks for the information though.

I just booted up the old Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I kind of miss the phone except for the slow processor.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski