1080p display Poll

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
When HTC announced that their Droid Dna and butterfly where to have 1080p displays, people criticized them by saying there was no need for it on a 5inch smartphone, that 1080p should be for tablets only. Yet Samsung is most likely going to put a 1080p panel in the s4 and Gn3 yet people are hyped to see that. Whats your opinion on a 1080p display and why? Did you criticize HTC when they released the Dna or Butterfly?

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
no i didn't criticize the screen resolution. 1080 on a 5.5" would be nice, but honestly, I looked at the DNA and noticed the dark banding along all four sides of the screen more so than I noticed any improvement in DISCERNIBLE resolution. A 5.5 or larger screen would obviously benefit more than a smaller one, assuming one looks at each from the same distance. I find the resolution of the current Note 2 to be fine. That doesn't mean if I had had a choice, I'd opt not to have a Note with a higher resolution, of course. :)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
no i didn't criticize the screen resolution. 1080 on a 5.5" would be nice, but honestly, I looked at the DNA and noticed the dark banding along all four sides of the screen more so than I noticed any improvement in DISCERNIBLE resolution. A 5.5 or larger screen would obviously benefit more than a smaller one, assuming one looks at each from the same distance. I find the resolution of the current Note 2 to be fine. That doesn't mean if I had had a choice, I'd opt not to have a Note with a higher resolution, of course. :)

Same, current resolution is great but cant ever have too much pixels. :thumbup::D

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd go 1080p if I could. 720p is fine, and the quality is good enough, but can't go wrong with more quality.

The only thing is 1080p vs 720p on a small device will be a lot less noticeable compared to a 40" TV. I haven't seen a 1080p device in person, so can't comment on how it looks compared to a 720p device.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
People act like our screen isnt good enough. DNA and Note 2 have the best screens out Period! you cant lose either way

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Gf had and returned the dna. It was noticibly sharper and looked better than my note 2. I mean I love my note 2 screen but it did look better. Doesn't excuse the fact of all the other shortcomings of the dna... *cough* battery

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I played with the DNA at a Verizon store and it was indeed the most beautiful screen I'd ever seen. That was the only thing I liked about it though. I love EVERYTHING about my Note 2!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line:

720p RGB SAMOLED > 1080p Pentile SAMOLED

267 ppi on Note 2 > ~36 ppi on your 60" 1080p TV

Do you notice pixels on your 1080p LCD TV? (No.) Then what makes you think you'll notice them on your 720p 5.5" screen with several multiples higher pixel density? Even when you factor view distances, average view distance from a 60" TV is anywhere from 7' to 15'. We'll find a happy medium from that which is about 11'. Factored down 5.5"/60" = ~9%. So 9% of 11' is just about 1' viewing distance. Unless your face is less than 1' away from your phone, you'll never notice the pixels.

Aka - PPI no longer matters. Don't let the marketing machine rule your mind. Go with what makes you happy.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am addicted to rich blacks and poping color. Not a fan of back lit panels. HD screens are plenty.....some packing more ppi than others but if it is not rgb HD amoled like the note 2 or better....dont want it, not even for a few more pixles.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
People act like our screen isnt good enough. DNA and Note 2 have the best screens out Period! you cant lose either way

I read some threads they were calling the note 2 low res. I roflmao for awhile ha ha. This article explains some of why ppi without proper hardware can mean failure. Not that the dna is a fail, but imagine the advantage of battery life and gaming had they put the required hardware in there.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/15/business/la-fi-tn-htc-droid-dna-review-20121215

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Between a 5" 1080p and a half inch bigger 720p, the naked eye well never actually be able to tell a difference... except maybe in areas where the pentile fails where rgb succeeds....

Either way, happy with what I have, but if it was offered now, I'd switch to a 1080 note, as long as it was no bigger than 5.7"

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line:

720p RGB SAMOLED > 1080p Pentile SAMOLED

267 ppi on Note 2 > ~36 ppi on your 60" 1080p TV

Do you notice pixels on your 1080p LCD TV? (No.) Then what makes you think you'll notice them on your 720p 5.5" screen with several multiples higher pixel density? Even when you factor view distances, average view distance from a 60" TV is anywhere from 7' to 15'. We'll find a happy medium from that which is about 11'. Factored down 5.5"/60" = ~9%. So 9% of 11' is just about 1' viewing distance. Unless your face is less than 1' away from your phone, you'll never notice the pixels.

Aka - PPI no longer matters. Don't let the marketing machine rule your mind. Go with what makes you happy.

Marketing machine? "Retina" display meant more than just PPI. Distance counts too. Why Your HDTV Is Already A Retina Display

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When HTC announced that their Droid Dna and butterfly where to have 1080p displays, people criticized them by saying there was no need for it on a 5inch smartphone, that 1080p should be for tablets only. Yet Samsung is most likely going to put a 1080p panel in the s4 and Gn3 yet people are hyped to see that. Whats your opinion on a 1080p display and why? Did you criticize HTC when they released the Dna or Butterfly?

1080 on phones will always seem like overkill to me.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Marketing machine? "Retina" display meant more than just PPI. Distance counts too. Why Your HDTV Is Already A Retina Display

Did you even read my post? I am discrediting the use of ppi as a means of deciding on what screen is better as by today's standards ppi is a thing of the past. Any 720p smartphone is going to have a ppi high enough that without a magnifying glass the average person will be unlikely to distinguish the pixels. This goes back to my hatred of marketing exploiting the simple minds of people who only understand the words High Definition and 1080p > 720p. They don't stop to think how the increased pixel count on a screen the size of your hand is wasted use of resources for something ultimately is totally unnecessary and overkill.

GG

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, maybe I can help because I dumped a OneX to get the Galaxy Note. Let me also say that I had Cataract Surgery 2 years ago and have high end implants in my eyes. My vision was restored to 20/15 15/10. The Surgeon who did it takes care of US Navy Carrier Pilots.
Can I tell the difference between the OneX and the GN2? Absolutely. The ONLY thing the OneX has on the Note2 is white levels and brightness levels.
I was told by a professional that the Galaxy Note 2 had a better Contrast Ratios and superior to the onex on the "Pluge Scale" (measures true black levels)
The OneX, M7 and DNA have Punch the GN2 has Superior Quality in display Video.
Do we need 1080? Wait till you see the upcoming Samsung Flexible Non Planar Displays. They will knock your socks off your feet. Plus the perks available, like running notifications on the edge of the display panel.
The displays will be like living info Portals that we step tbrough an behold, there is your info world before you. 446 ppi. Cant wait.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
1080 on phones will always seem like overkill to me.
How come?
I can't speak for Ry, but with everything else equal (especially brighness & contrast) I doubt that more than 10% of us could tell the difference anyway.

But the big thing is the more pixels you have the more power (BOTH processing and battery) it's going to take to run your phone. That's going to subtract from what's available for everything else. So shorter battery life and slower response in return for a display you can't see the difference on? Why?

The one exception would be if you were frequently sending vid from your phone to a large screen TV/monitor.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for Ry, but with everything else equal (especially brighness & contrast) I doubt that more than 10% of us could tell the difference anyway.

But the big thing is the more pixels you have the more power (BOTH processing and battery) it's going to take to run your phone. That's going to subtract from what's available for everything else. So shorter battery life and slower response in return for a display you can't see the difference on? Why?

The one exception would be if you were frequently sending vid from your phone to a large screen TV/monitor.

Ding ding ding! Winner!

I now bestow upon you the Logical Thinker award. Congratulations on having a clue :)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

+1 :thumbup::D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12