05-04-2013 08:27 AM
103 1234 ...
tools
    Yeah I agree...its for sure a problem still, I like AMOLED panels but they definitely have a couple big drawbacks vs lcd 2 and 3 panels
    I absolutely agree man. I gotta be honest, if I could swap out the panel on the Note 2 for the one in the DNA I probably would just knowing it'd be free of defects and not have to worry about AMOLED burn out.

I want to love AMOLED for it's amazing features, but it's current state of manufacturing difficulties and pixel lifetime really throws me off =/
    taylorz_412 likes this.
    01-19-2013 01:18 AM
    I hope everyone who says they do not have it actually tried meticulously to find any off colors inside a very dark room since it is pretty much invisible under light.
    I think I have OCD or something.
    roberte1342 likes this.
    01-19-2013 01:33 AM
    I don't notice any here. But maybe it is not obvious enough.
    Probably one of those things I'm better off not noticing that degrade my enjoyment once I know about it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
    01-19-2013 01:45 AM
    I don't notice any here. But maybe it is not obvious enough.
    Probably one of those things I'm better off not noticing that degrade my enjoyment once I know about it.

Bahahaha tell me about it, I was having a blast with my Note 2 and thinking it was the greatest thing ever.
    Then yesterday night as I downloaded Screen Filter and set it down to some lower brightness so I can text a few people a night. I noticed a few dark blotches and I tried to wipe it off and it didn't come off
    My relation with my Note 2 quickly went downhill from there I wish I didn't have some OCD and forget it. But i know its there and it irritates the living hell out of me

01-19-2013 01:52 AM
    I hope everyone who says they do not have it actually tried meticulously to find any off colors inside a very dark room since it is pretty much invisible under light.
    I think I have OCD or something.
    I'm sitting in a dark room and even turned it pitch black and I have no splotches. I'm in no way saying you have a defective device if you see them but not all Note II devices suffer from this. I know some think I'm wrong but I know what I'm looking for considering I came from a RAZR.

I've tried light colors but dim, a light black sorta like an lcd shade, and a pitch black and don't see it.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.
    01-19-2013 01:52 AM
    I'm sitting in a dark room and even turned it pitch black and I have no splotches. I'm in no way saying you have a defective device if you see them but not all Note II devices suffer from this. I know some think I'm wrong but I know what I'm looking for considering I came from a RAZR.

I believe you, lucky pal, I just wanted to clarify it for the other people who said theirs doesn't have any
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    01-19-2013 01:56 AM
    I believe you, lucky pal, I just wanted to clarify it for the other people who said theirs doesn't have any
    I am as much of a perfectionist as you but I ended up accepting this on my RAZR. It has to be a dark background so it's rarely noticeable so no need to be all OCD.

01-19-2013 02:00 AM
    Just checked under many different lights, cleaned the screen first, can't see anything. Bought mine 2 weeks ago. Guess its a high probability that I'm lying.lol

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    tirith likes this.
    01-19-2013 10:27 AM
    You guys, I looked on mine. I can't really see anything. Sorry. I have had amoled screens with them, so I know what to look for.

What surprises me here is the debate about them. They are only visible when you aren't really using the phone and not all amoled screens have them, but the ones that do are not defective. It is the nature of amoled technology. Self lit beauties.

If they actually are to the point you can see them with normal use, replace it lol. Other than that, this has been discussed to the ends of the Earth already:banghead: it is okay most of the time. Natural phenomena. Why all devices don't have them is beyond me, but they do. Either way, it is not a big deal, and if it is, warranty it. Your note 2 viewing experience should be no less than epic

taylorz_412, zmann and DaRkL3AD3R like this.
    01-19-2013 10:36 AM
    I heard about this from a coworker last week and tried it out but didn't see anything. I tried in both a completely dark room with only my Note 2 on and didn't see any blobs. I also tried in a room where I only had a TV on, rest completely black and still couldn't see any blobs. It's possible I just didn't do the test right, but considering I didn't see any blobs during the tests, I'm fine with that.

I'll never use my phone in the dark unless it's a quick info check in bed. So if I didn't notice it during a pitch black room, I'm good with how my phone is. My coworker thinks I have them, just didn't test right. Either way, I'm fine.
    01-19-2013 11:07 AM
    I decided to replace my phone and I just got back. (There were other reasons for replacing it anyways, like the S-Pen was on the verge of falling out due to it's looseness) and I decided to check if they black blobs are present in this brand new Note 2
    To my surprise it is indeed there, and to make it even more surprising the black blobs are in the exact same location and shape as the previous note 2
    01-19-2013 03:55 PM
    I decided to replace my phone and I just got back. (There were other reasons for replacing it anyways, like the S-Pen was on the verge of falling out due to it's looseness) and I decided to check if they black blobs are present in this brand new Note 2
    To my surprise it is indeed there, and to make it even more surprising the black blobs are in the exact same location and shape as the previous note 2
    Are you sure they didnt just give u the same phone again?

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
    01-19-2013 04:42 PM
    haha i'm more then positive
    SenseMonkey likes this.
    01-19-2013 04:43 PM
    Are the blobs giant... like encompassing the entire screen?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    01-19-2013 05:26 PM
    Screen shot it with a camera.

01-19-2013 07:12 PM
    kinda doubt screen shot will catch it, considering it sounds like a hardware issue.... :/
    01-19-2013 07:17 PM
    Screen shot it

Yeah that won't work its an issue with the AMOLED panel itself

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II
    01-19-2013 07:19 PM
    The way I would find them on my gnex is to get a video loaded, the kill data and in a pitch black room you could find them. A decent enough camera would catch them if they are there don't you think? Anyway...I still think we are beating a dead horse.
    taylorz_412 likes this.
    01-19-2013 07:26 PM
    The way I would find them on my gnex is to get a video loaded, the kill data and in a pitch black room you could find them. A decent enough camera would catch them if they are there don't you think? Anyway...I still think we are beating a dead horse.
    Yeah I agree you may or may not have blobs but if you cant see them everytime you unlock your phone and everything else is fine just be happy you have the best phone on the market

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II
    01-19-2013 07:30 PM
    Yeah I agree you may or may not have blobs but if you cant see them everytime you unlock your phone and everything else is fine just be happy you have the best phone on the market
    Agreed. I too learned to live with them. The number of situations where they even are visible is so limited that it's like whatever. No dead/stuck pixels? Good enough by me.
    Thorin Oakenshield and Johnly like this.
    01-19-2013 07:47 PM
    I have one splotch on mine about 3/16" in diameter.
    01-19-2013 08:37 PM
    I have one splotch on mine about 3/16" in diameter.
    As for splotches... none on mine. Think mine is pristine lucky me. Only issue I have is recent apps won't come up after being on a while (1.5 days+... android restart everyday fixes it....)

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    01-20-2013 01:01 AM
    Screen shot won't catch it. I had these blobs on my previous S3 and I have smaller ones on my Note 2. My wife's S3 has a really bad thin streak of a blob about an inch and a half long. Like everyone said the only times you notice them is if your phone is all black and you are in the dark, doesn't happen often enough for me to care. My wife's is really bad and it would probably annoy me.
    01-20-2013 01:19 AM
    This has been an issue on all Samsung AMOLED screens. It's been widely known since the GS was released. Those blotches make all images look bad on the phone, but it's particularly noticeable on shades of grey and black.

If you want a great AMOLED screen you want a Nokia phone. Samsung's screen tech was overhyped when they announced Super AMOLED and it's always had a ton of issues with it. Those blotches have been well known since then.

Hopefully more phablet devices get released so that people who like the Note II form factor have more choices, since everyone from Pantech to LG to Moto to Sony to HTC has better screen tech on their [Android] phones compared to Samsung these days. Pen-Tile AMOLED screens that haven't really advanced outside of resolution/size since mid-2011 to Samsung are like flimsy plastic body construction. Why change it and pay more to make the phone, when people will buy it anyways... People force themselves to not care about the bad QC/QA and it doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Check the phone the minute you buy it. It's not hard. Just have an email with a true black image as an attachment flagged in your GMail and check it at the store when you get the phone. If you have blotches, swap it on the spot. Pretty easy. This defect is too easy to see. You don't even need a dark room. You can in all likely hood see this is broad daylight if you have a black image on the screen. They are that obvious.

I've never seen this on a Nokia phone (which I think uses some Samsung tech, but not sure), and certainly not on any device with an LCD screen. But I have seen it on Motorola devices and practically all Galaxy S Samsung devices (GS, GS2, Skyrocket, and GS3, and of course the note is a given with this thread). It may have something to do with the way the glass is attached to the display panel or something.
    01-20-2013 08:44 AM
    Ain't no way I am dropping the note 2. This beast is here to stay chops ha ha.

01-20-2013 09:07 AM
103 1234 ...