05-04-2013 08:27 AM
103 12345
tools
    Yeah that won't work its an issue with the AMOLED panel itself

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II
    I wonder why most of us have prefect displays? It is the manufacturing process? Just because they exist does not mean it is faulty. We all know that. Sometimes it glares and is worthy of a exchange, but from this thread, it seems most people have perfect notes, or the off colors on the gray are so miniscule it isn't worth the hassle.

Like I have said, If it is that bad, post a pic. Share with us. Then warranty it. I think for the most part, these new amoled displays are improved and way better than the older phones mentioned. It is easy to take a pic

PICs or it didn't happen

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    taylorz_412 likes this.
    01-20-2013 09:14 AM
    I either don't have this issue, or I don't know what I'm looking for. Took my phone into the bathroom, turned out the lights, then Googled a black screen. I don't see any blobs/splotches.
    01-20-2013 09:28 AM
    I either don't have this issue, or I don't know what I'm looking for. Took my phone into the bathroom, turned out the lights, then Googled a black screen. I don't see any blobs/splotches.

This is a photo of an original Galaxy Note that shows exactly what all AMOLED screens have to a certain degree. Some phones have hardly any of this, some phones have a lot worse than this. This photo is the average.

The thing is this photo is not what your eyes will see 90% of the time. This photo was taken using a DSLR and using long exposure times to bring in extra light. This allows us to see in a digital photograph how there are black spots around the lit up panel. Because even with AMOLED, blacks still emit a very minor amount of light. Well, the black spots are pitch black, no light emission whatsoever.

I do not know what these black spots are or what they represent. Whether it is a manufacturing "defect" or just part of the natural organic substrate in a side effect, but whatever they are to those who own a device affected by it these spots are really really annoying.

Please, do not assume that "oh well my phone doesn't look anything like that photo" that you don't have them. Like I said, the light on that image is amplified many times greater than what it really should be to heighten the visibility of the spots. In reality the rest of the screen is nowhere near this "bright" and thus the spots blend much easier. Use this image as a guide to understand what to look for, the patterns etc, but don't assume they will appear so easily. You must be in the dark with your brightness all the way down and give your eyes 10 seconds to adjust before making a call.
    Who? likes this.
    01-20-2013 11:44 AM
    Thanks for posting the pic of the original note. Allot of the "old" amoled screens had this. As you can see, the only time it was noticeable, was when you weren't actually "using" the screen for anything. I will post a shot of my note 2. You will see a perfect rgb HD amoled screen. I suspect most are that way. Even if I had those spots, if I could only see them like that, I could care less really.

Who? likes this.
    01-20-2013 12:00 PM
    http://imageshack.us/a/img204/1671/g...gexposureb.jpg

This is a photo of an original Galaxy Note that shows exactly what all AMOLED screens have to a certain degree. Some phones have hardly any of this, some phones have a lot worse than this. This photo is the average.

The thing is this photo is not what your eyes will see 90% of the time. This photo was taken using a DSLR and using long exposure times to bring in extra light. This allows us to see in a digital photograph how there are black spots around the lit up panel. Because even with AMOLED, blacks still emit a very minor amount of light. Well, the black spots are pitch black, no light emission whatsoever.

I do not know what these black spots are or what they represent. Whether it is a manufacturing "defect" or just part of the natural organic substrate in a side effect, but whatever they are to those who own a device affected by it these spots are really really annoying.

Please, do not assume that "oh well my phone doesn't look anything like that photo" that you don't have them. Like I said, the light on that image is amplified many times greater than what it really should be to heighten the visibility of the spots. In reality the rest of the screen is nowhere near this "bright" and thus the spots blend much easier. Use this image as a guide to understand what to look for, the patterns etc, but don't assume they will appear so easily. You must be in the dark with your brightness all the way down and give your eyes 10 seconds to adjust before making a call.
    Thanks for the picture. I will try again with brightness turned down and see if I can see them. I'm trying to imagine a scenario when I would normally notice it.

Edit - OK - I turned the brightness to the lowest setting and tried it with a black back ground and dark grey back ground. I'm still not seeing anything. I guess it's just not something that I'm going to notice to bother me?
    01-20-2013 01:37 PM
    I can see mine playing a dark netflix movie. Only time I notice it.
    Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
    01-20-2013 08:49 PM
    I can see mine playing a dark netflix movie. Only time I notice it.
    This, it's really hard to catch sometimes, but if you're on those borderline black/gray colors its easily spottable and can be distracting in movies once you know it's there.
    I tend to watch movies mostly at night on my bed in a dark bedroom and this is bothersome, but i'm trying to get over it.
    I wish there was a fix though, that would be nice.
    01-20-2013 09:32 PM
    On my first SR it was very distracting. I had to send it back. This one is much better. It was noticeable with any Grey scale color, even.

Using Apps like pocket in night/amoled mode was a nightmare.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    01-20-2013 10:19 PM
    This, it's really hard to catch sometimes, but if you're on those borderline black/gray colors its easily spottable and can be distracting in movies once you know it's there.
    I tend to watch movies mostly at night on my bed in a dark bedroom and this is bothersome, but i'm trying to get over it.
    I wish there was a fix though, that would be nice.
    If it is noticable once the video starts. Return it. This is a 999 retail device. Mine is flawless. I will post a pic of the pre video test, but I haven't had time to. I dont think you have to worry, the majority of the note 2s dont have that issue. Dont settle.

01-20-2013 10:48 PM
    Get amoled test from the play store and turn down your brightness all the way and go to the gray screen. That is an easy way to test the panel and show verizon reps to get it warranty replaced.

If the organic leds "rest" at different blacks, it is not a defect I am told. Mine rest at the same black, but because they are self lit (no back light to uniformly light the panel) they may "rest" at different degrees of black. Not a defect, but a natural thing of beauty. Any time any image is displayed, under any circumstance, you should never see a variant of color. The image reproduction should be perfect.
    01-20-2013 10:55 PM
    My gs3 does!

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums
    01-20-2013 11:05 PM
    My gs3 does!

Yeah it's a well known problem with the s3

01-20-2013 11:06 PM
    Yeah it's a well known problem with the s3

I had three verizon galaxy nexus. They all had defective gray reproduction. My s3 is accurate. Got lucky with that.

01-20-2013 11:13 PM
    My gs3 does!

If it fails accurate color reproduction, show em, and get it replaced. Unless it doesn't bother you.

Poor hoarse so beat.

taylorz_412 likes this.
    01-20-2013 11:14 PM
    Get amoled test from the play store and turn down your brightness all the way and go to the gray screen. That is an easy way to test the panel and show verizon reps to get it warranty replaced.

If the organic leds "rest" at different blacks, it is not a defect I am told. Mine rest at the same black, but because they are self lit (no back light to uniformly light the panel) they may "rest" at different degrees of black. Not a defect, but a natural thing of beauty. Any time any image is displayed, under any circumstance, you should never see a variant of color. The image reproduction should be perfect.
    Nice test, no splotches on my end. Guess I'm lucky.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.
    Johnly likes this.
    01-20-2013 11:21 PM
    Anyone else getting these specifically for the Note 2? I know that it was a widespread problem in previous Samsung/AMOLED devicess.

Basically it's a weird dark/black blobs that you can see on your phone when your phone is in low brightness, and in a very dark room. The dark blobs usually appear on black or a dark gray/dark blue/dark color background.

Does anyone else have this for the Note 2? I am not sure if it's worth me going back and replacing it right now, what is seen cannot be unseen and I can't stop noticing it whenever I read something with a dark background on the Note 2.

EDIT: You will not notice the blobs at all in a lit environment.
    I thought I was the only one. Mine aren't blobs, they are lines. Can only see them in a dark room when phone is showing a video. Noticed it first week but decided not to return.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
    01-20-2013 11:47 PM
    Only way to see it is when phone is compensating from being in dark room. A screenshot will not capture it and the sample picture that someone took is exactly what mine looks like. Only shows up when I watch a video in a dark room.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
    01-20-2013 11:56 PM
    I hope everyone who says they do not have it actually tried meticulously to find any off colors inside a very dark room since it is pretty much invisible under light.
    I think I have OCD or something.
    I hate you.

I knew I should have abandoned this thread when I last posted. But noooo, curiosity wouldn't stop bothering me. I should have left perfect how it was.
    I sit here broken hearted after witnessing the horror of imperfections in my beautiful screen.
    A warning to others. Abandon this thread and seek not for what you do not want to find! You will never look at your phone the same way again.

/s

Sent from my SG Note 2 [Tapatalk]
    01-26-2013 01:51 AM
    Looked and finally found it. Doesn't bother me. Oh well. It's how it is. Who cares?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    DaRkL3AD3R likes this.
    01-26-2013 09:36 AM
    I hate you.

I knew I should have abandoned this thread when I last posted. But noooo, curiosity wouldn't stop bothering me. I should have left perfect how it was.
    I sit here broken hearted after witnessing the horror of imperfections in my beautiful screen.
    A warning to others. Abandon this thread and seek not for what you do not want to find! You will never look at your phone the same way again.

/s

Looked and finally found it. Doesn't bother me. Oh well. It's how it is. Who cares?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    I just wanted to thank you two for at least fessing up and admitting you DO have the spots even though initially you guys reported that your screen didn't have them. This is how I feel MOST people out there really do have it, they just don't have the required level of attention to detail to notice it.

And roberte haha sorry man I feel your pain. I wish I never found out about the black spots, but my OCD with a new phone especially towards looking for dead/stuck pixels lead me to the discovery of the annoying black spots. And now, they are always there haunting me reminding me that my screen is messed up lol. Hopefully by the time 1080p RGB AMOLED displays are being produced they can nip this issue in the butt for good.
    01-26-2013 12:47 PM
    As if those that don't are lying:rolleyes:

zmann likes this.
    01-26-2013 12:52 PM
    Or they have no detail attention:rolleyes:

zmann likes this.
    01-26-2013 01:03 PM
    I hate you.

/s

haahaha cheers man this made my day
    01-26-2013 01:14 PM
    Notice this on my Maxx HD as the phone is booting up (there's briefly a time when the screen is blank) when I'm in an entirely dark room. It's a bunch of smallish dots. Never noticed it in any other circumstances. Happy to know that this is "normal" although it never concerned me, it was more interesting than anything else.
    01-26-2013 01:26 PM
    As if those that don't are lying:rolleyes:
    I'm not calling them liars, I'm saying they just don't notice things as easily as others. On XDA where the crowd is a good bit more hardcore than AC, people steadily continue to acknowledge findings and report them with photos, screenshots, logs etc. Here it's all anecdotal with these users. And this particular issue is one that requires you really understand what you're looking for and have the eyes to look for it. Most people on AC just want to talk about how much they love their phone, or share stories about the device and what accessories they like etc.

That's my point. It has been made, and I have nothing further to add to it. My point was proven in this very thread where these good folks originally claimed, much like the rest, that their phone didn't have the issues. Well they took the time to look and found that hey there really is stuff wrong with their screen.
    01-26-2013 02:38 PM
103 12345