Check if your Note 2 has dark blobs in the dark

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The way I would find them on my gnex is to get a video loaded, the kill data and in a pitch black room you could find them. A decent enough camera would catch them if they are there don't you think? Anyway...I still think we are beating a dead horse.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
The way I would find them on my gnex is to get a video loaded, the kill data and in a pitch black room you could find them. A decent enough camera would catch them if they are there don't you think? Anyway...I still think we are beating a dead horse.

Yeah I agree you may or may not have blobs but if you cant see them everytime you unlock your phone and everything else is fine just be happy you have the best phone on the market :)

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I agree you may or may not have blobs but if you cant see them everytime you unlock your phone and everything else is fine just be happy you have the best phone on the market :)

Agreed. I too learned to live with them. The number of situations where they even are visible is so limited that it's like whatever. No dead/stuck pixels? Good enough by me.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have one splotch on mine about 3/16" in diameter.

As for splotches... none on mine. Think mine is pristine :) lucky me. Only issue I have is recent apps won't come up after being on a while (1.5 days+... android restart everyday fixes it....)

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Screen shot won't catch it. I had these blobs on my previous S3 and I have smaller ones on my Note 2. My wife's S3 has a really bad thin streak of a blob about an inch and a half long. Like everyone said the only times you notice them is if your phone is all black and you are in the dark, doesn't happen often enough for me to care. My wife's is really bad and it would probably annoy me.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This has been an issue on all Samsung AMOLED screens. It's been widely known since the GS was released. Those blotches make all images look bad on the phone, but it's particularly noticeable on shades of grey and black.

If you want a great AMOLED screen you want a Nokia phone. Samsung's screen tech was overhyped when they announced Super AMOLED and it's always had a ton of issues with it. Those blotches have been well known since then.

Hopefully more phablet devices get released so that people who like the Note II form factor have more choices, since everyone from Pantech to LG to Moto to Sony to HTC has better screen tech on their [Android] phones compared to Samsung these days. Pen-Tile AMOLED screens that haven't really advanced outside of resolution/size since mid-2011 to Samsung are like flimsy plastic body construction. Why change it and pay more to make the phone, when people will buy it anyways... People force themselves to not care about the bad QC/QA and it doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Check the phone the minute you buy it. It's not hard. Just have an email with a true black image as an attachment flagged in your GMail and check it at the store when you get the phone. If you have blotches, swap it on the spot. Pretty easy. This defect is too easy to see. You don't even need a dark room. You can in all likely hood see this is broad daylight if you have a black image on the screen. They are that obvious.

I've never seen this on a Nokia phone (which I think uses some Samsung tech, but not sure), and certainly not on any device with an LCD screen. But I have seen it on Motorola devices and practically all Galaxy S Samsung devices (GS, GS2, Skyrocket, and GS3, and of course the note is a given with this thread). It may have something to do with the way the glass is attached to the display panel or something.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ain't no way I am dropping the note 2. This beast is here to stay chops ha ha.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that won't work its an issue with the AMOLED panel itself

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II

I wonder why most of us have prefect displays? It is the manufacturing process? Just because they exist does not mean it is faulty. We all know that. Sometimes it glares and is worthy of a exchange, but from this thread, it seems most people have perfect notes, or the off colors on the gray are so miniscule it isn't worth the hassle.

Like I have said, If it is that bad, post a pic. Share with us. Then warranty it. I think for the most part, these new amoled displays are improved and way better than the older phones mentioned. It is easy to take a pic

PICs or it didn't happen :p

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I either don't have this issue, or I don't know what I'm looking for. Took my phone into the bathroom, turned out the lights, then Googled a black screen. I don't see any blobs/splotches.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I either don't have this issue, or I don't know what I'm looking for. Took my phone into the bathroom, turned out the lights, then Googled a black screen. I don't see any blobs/splotches.

galaxynotelongexposureb.jpg

This is a photo of an original Galaxy Note that shows exactly what all AMOLED screens have to a certain degree. Some phones have hardly any of this, some phones have a lot worse than this. This photo is the average.

The thing is this photo is not what your eyes will see 90% of the time. This photo was taken using a DSLR and using long exposure times to bring in extra light. This allows us to see in a digital photograph how there are black spots around the lit up panel. Because even with AMOLED, blacks still emit a very minor amount of light. Well, the black spots are pitch black, no light emission whatsoever.

I do not know what these black spots are or what they represent. Whether it is a manufacturing "defect" or just part of the natural organic substrate in a side effect, but whatever they are to those who own a device affected by it these spots are really really annoying.

Please, do not assume that "oh well my phone doesn't look anything like that photo" that you don't have them. Like I said, the light on that image is amplified many times greater than what it really should be to heighten the visibility of the spots. In reality the rest of the screen is nowhere near this "bright" and thus the spots blend much easier. Use this image as a guide to understand what to look for, the patterns etc, but don't assume they will appear so easily. You must be in the dark with your brightness all the way down and give your eyes 10 seconds to adjust before making a call.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting the pic of the original note. Allot of the "old" amoled screens had this. As you can see, the only time it was noticeable, was when you weren't actually "using" the screen for anything. I will post a shot of my note 2. You will see a perfect rgb HD amoled screen. I suspect most are that way. Even if I had those spots, if I could only see them like that, I could care less really.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
http://imageshack.us/a/img204/1671/galaxynotelongexposureb.jpg

This is a photo of an original Galaxy Note that shows exactly what all AMOLED screens have to a certain degree. Some phones have hardly any of this, some phones have a lot worse than this. This photo is the average.

The thing is this photo is not what your eyes will see 90% of the time. This photo was taken using a DSLR and using long exposure times to bring in extra light. This allows us to see in a digital photograph how there are black spots around the lit up panel. Because even with AMOLED, blacks still emit a very minor amount of light. Well, the black spots are pitch black, no light emission whatsoever.

I do not know what these black spots are or what they represent. Whether it is a manufacturing "defect" or just part of the natural organic substrate in a side effect, but whatever they are to those who own a device affected by it these spots are really really annoying.

Please, do not assume that "oh well my phone doesn't look anything like that photo" that you don't have them. Like I said, the light on that image is amplified many times greater than what it really should be to heighten the visibility of the spots. In reality the rest of the screen is nowhere near this "bright" and thus the spots blend much easier. Use this image as a guide to understand what to look for, the patterns etc, but don't assume they will appear so easily. You must be in the dark with your brightness all the way down and give your eyes 10 seconds to adjust before making a call.

Thanks for the picture. I will try again with brightness turned down and see if I can see them. I'm trying to imagine a scenario when I would normally notice it.

Edit - OK - I turned the brightness to the lowest setting and tried it with a black back ground and dark grey back ground. I'm still not seeing anything. I guess it's just not something that I'm going to notice to bother me?

Thorin Oakenshield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I can see mine playing a dark netflix movie. Only time I notice it.

This, it's really hard to catch sometimes, but if you're on those borderline black/gray colors its easily spottable and can be distracting in movies once you know it's there.
I tend to watch movies mostly at night on my bed in a dark bedroom and this is bothersome, but i'm trying to get over it.
I wish there was a fix though, that would be nice.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
On my first SR it was very distracting. I had to send it back. This one is much better. It was noticeable with any Grey scale color, even.

Using Apps like pocket in night/amoled mode was a nightmare.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This, it's really hard to catch sometimes, but if you're on those borderline black/gray colors its easily spottable and can be distracting in movies once you know it's there.
I tend to watch movies mostly at night on my bed in a dark bedroom and this is bothersome, but i'm trying to get over it.
I wish there was a fix though, that would be nice.

If it is noticable once the video starts. Return it. This is a 999 retail device. Mine is flawless. I will post a pic of the pre video test, but I haven't had time to. I dont think you have to worry, the majority of the note 2s dont have that issue. Dont settle.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Get amoled test from the play store and turn down your brightness all the way and go to the gray screen. That is an easy way to test the panel and show verizon reps to get it warranty replaced.

If the organic leds "rest" at different blacks, it is not a defect I am told. Mine rest at the same black, but because they are self lit (no back light to uniformly light the panel) they may "rest" at different degrees of black. Not a defect, but a natural thing of beauty. Any time any image is displayed, under any circumstance, you should never see a variant of color. The image reproduction should be perfect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech