Check if your Note 2 has dark blobs in the dark

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That is quite the luck of the draw you have there. Maybe i'm wrong and my Note 2 is definitely defective one of the defective bunch

Yes. I didn't even know people had this issue with the Note II and I'm glad I don't. It wouldn't hurt to find out though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I didn't even know people had this issue with the Note II and I'm glad I don't. It wouldn't hurt to find out though.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy it.

This is not an issue that the OP and myself alone are having out of the millions of devices made and sold. This is an ongoing AMOLED issue that has been happening for years.

Clearly the manufacturing process has not been perfected that you can place a safe bet with a 50/50 chance that your phone will be spotless. If you really got that lucky, then congrats go get a lottery ticket. I too like the OP used to resent the black splotches and felt that I should play this exchange game until I get one of the special snowflake devices that does not have the same manufacturing "defect" that so many millions of other devices have. The reality is it's a waste of time. I don't think you'll ever find a device that is 100% perfect.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I just don't buy it.

This is not an issue that the OP and myself alone are having out of the millions of devices made and sold. This is an ongoing AMOLED issue that has been happening for years.

Clearly the manufacturing process has not been perfected that you can place a safe bet with a 50/50 chance that your phone will be spotless. If you really got that lucky, then congrats go get a lottery ticket. I too like the OP used to resent the black splotches and felt that I should play this exchange game until I get one of the special snowflake devices that does not have the same manufacturing "defect" that so many millions of other devices have. The reality is it's a waste of time. I don't think you'll ever find a device that is 100% perfect.

I just went in snote and completely filled in a black image and 0 black clipping maybe im just lucky .......but I'm pretty sure I saw videos and read that said Samsung had fixed the issue with the note 2

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I just went in snote and completely filled in a black image and 0 black clipping maybe im just lucky .......but I'm pretty sure I saw videos and read that said Samsung had fixed the issue with the note 2

Well, clearly they didn't lol

I didn't read anything officially stated that they resolved this issue. From what I recall, it isn't even an issue. It is to us hardcore picky end users but to them it's 100% fine. Let's just say, this isn't something covered by the warranty. All it is is a gamble right now whether your phone has it or not. Who knows, maybe the Korean made Note 2's have a better yield than the China ones. Or maybe it was just a bad day, week, month in a specific plant with a specific batch sequence.

But given the fact that this isn't an issue unique to the Note 2, or to Samsung themselves, I would say this is just the way it is with AMOLED displays and it won't be changing for awhile.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, clearly they didn't lol

I didn't read anything officially stated that they resolved this issue. From what I recall, it isn't even an issue. It is to us hardcore picky end users but to them it's 100% fine. Let's just say, this isn't something covered by the warranty. All it is is a gamble right now whether your phone has it or not. Who knows, maybe the Korean made Note 2's have a better yield than the China ones. Or maybe it was just a bad day, week, month in a specific plant with a specific batch sequence.

But given the fact that this isn't an issue unique to the Note 2, or to Samsung themselves, I would say this is just the way it is with AMOLED displays and it won't be changing for awhile.

Yeah I agree...its for sure a problem still, I like AMOLED panels but they definitely have a couple big drawbacks vs lcd 2 and 3 panels

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I agree...its for sure a problem still, I like AMOLED panels but they definitely have a couple big drawbacks vs lcd 2 and 3 panels

I absolutely agree man. I gotta be honest, if I could swap out the panel on the Note 2 for the one in the DNA I probably would just knowing it'd be free of defects and not have to worry about AMOLED burn out.

I want to love AMOLED for it's amazing features, but it's current state of manufacturing difficulties and pixel lifetime really throws me off =/

Thorin Oakenshield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I hope everyone who says they do not have it actually tried meticulously to find any off colors inside a very dark room since it is pretty much invisible under light.
I think I have OCD or something.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't notice any here. But maybe it is not obvious enough.
Probably one of those things I'm better off not noticing that degrade my enjoyment once I know about it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thorin Oakenshield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't notice any here. But maybe it is not obvious enough.
Probably one of those things I'm better off not noticing that degrade my enjoyment once I know about it.

Bahahaha tell me about it, I was having a blast with my Note 2 and thinking it was the greatest thing ever.
Then yesterday night as I downloaded Screen Filter and set it down to some lower brightness so I can text a few people a night. I noticed a few dark blotches and I tried to wipe it off and it didn't come off
My relation with my Note 2 quickly went downhill from there I wish I didn't have some OCD and forget it. But i know its there and it irritates the living hell out of me

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I hope everyone who says they do not have it actually tried meticulously to find any off colors inside a very dark room since it is pretty much invisible under light.
I think I have OCD or something.

I'm sitting in a dark room and even turned it pitch black and I have no splotches. I'm in no way saying you have a defective device if you see them but not all Note II devices suffer from this. I know some think I'm wrong but I know what I'm looking for considering I came from a RAZR.

I've tried light colors but dim, a light black sorta like an lcd shade, and a pitch black and don't see it.

Thorin Oakenshield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sitting in a dark room and even turned it pitch black and I have no splotches. I'm in no way saying you have a defective device if you see them but not all Note II devices suffer from this. I know some think I'm wrong but I know what I'm looking for considering I came from a RAZR.

I believe you, lucky pal, I just wanted to clarify it for the other people who said theirs doesn't have any

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I believe you, lucky pal, I just wanted to clarify it for the other people who said theirs doesn't have any

I am as much of a perfectionist as you but I ended up accepting this on my RAZR. It has to be a dark background so it's rarely noticeable so no need to be all OCD.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just checked under many different lights, cleaned the screen first, can't see anything. Bought mine 2 weeks ago. Guess its a high probability that I'm lying.lol

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You guys, I looked on mine. I can't really see anything. Sorry. I have had amoled screens with them, so I know what to look for.

What surprises me here is the debate about them. They are only visible when you aren't really using the phone and not all amoled screens have them, but the ones that do are not defective. It is the nature of amoled technology. Self lit beauties.

If they actually are to the point you can see them with normal use, replace it lol. Other than that, this has been discussed to the ends of the Earth already:banghead: it is okay most of the time. Natural phenomena. Why all devices don't have them is beyond me, but they do. Either way, it is not a big deal, and if it is, warranty it. Your note 2 viewing experience should be no less than epic:D

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I heard about this from a coworker last week and tried it out but didn't see anything. I tried in both a completely dark room with only my Note 2 on and didn't see any blobs. I also tried in a room where I only had a TV on, rest completely black and still couldn't see any blobs. It's possible I just didn't do the test right, but considering I didn't see any blobs during the tests, I'm fine with that.

I'll never use my phone in the dark unless it's a quick info check in bed. So if I didn't notice it during a pitch black room, I'm good with how my phone is. My coworker thinks I have them, just didn't test right. Either way, I'm fine. :)

Thorin Oakenshield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I decided to replace my phone and I just got back. (There were other reasons for replacing it anyways, like the S-Pen was on the verge of falling out due to it's looseness) and I decided to check if they black blobs are present in this brand new Note 2
To my surprise it is indeed there, and to make it even more surprising the black blobs are in the exact same location and shape as the previous note 2 :-X

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I decided to replace my phone and I just got back. (There were other reasons for replacing it anyways, like the S-Pen was on the verge of falling out due to it's looseness) and I decided to check if they black blobs are present in this brand new Note 2
To my surprise it is indeed there, and to make it even more surprising the black blobs are in the exact same location and shape as the previous note 2 :-X

Are you sure they didnt just give u the same phone again?

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D