Check if your Note 2 has dark blobs in the dark

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Get amoled test from the play store and turn down your brightness all the way and go to the gray screen. That is an easy way to test the panel and show verizon reps to get it warranty replaced.

If the organic leds "rest" at different blacks, it is not a defect I am told. Mine rest at the same black, but because they are self lit (no back light to uniformly light the panel) they may "rest" at different degrees of black. Not a defect, but a natural thing of beauty. Any time any image is displayed, under any circumstance, you should never see a variant of color. The image reproduction should be perfect.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Nice test, no splotches on my end. Guess I'm lucky.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else getting these specifically for the Note 2? I know that it was a widespread problem in previous Samsung/AMOLED devicess.

Basically it's a weird dark/black blobs that you can see on your phone when your phone is in low brightness, and in a very dark room. The dark blobs usually appear on black or a dark gray/dark blue/dark color background.

Does anyone else have this for the Note 2? I am not sure if it's worth me going back and replacing it right now, what is seen cannot be unseen and I can't stop noticing it whenever I read something with a dark background on the Note 2.

EDIT: You will not notice the blobs at all in a lit environment.

I thought I was the only one. Mine aren't blobs, they are lines. Can only see them in a dark room when phone is showing a video. Noticed it first week but decided not to return.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Only way to see it is when phone is compensating from being in dark room. A screenshot will not capture it and the sample picture that someone took is exactly what mine looks like. Only shows up when I watch a video in a dark room.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I hope everyone who says they do not have it actually tried meticulously to find any off colors inside a very dark room since it is pretty much invisible under light.
I think I have OCD or something.

I hate you.

I knew I should have abandoned this thread when I last posted. But noooo, curiosity wouldn't stop bothering me. I should have left perfect how it was.
I sit here broken hearted after witnessing the horror of imperfections in my beautiful screen.
A warning to others. Abandon this thread and seek not for what you do not want to find! You will never look at your phone the same way again.

/s

Sent from my SG Note 2 [Tapatalk]

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Looked and finally found it. Doesn't bother me. Oh well. It's how it is. Who cares?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I hate you.

I knew I should have abandoned this thread when I last posted. But noooo, curiosity wouldn't stop bothering me. I should have left perfect how it was.
I sit here broken hearted after witnessing the horror of imperfections in my beautiful screen.
A warning to others. Abandon this thread and seek not for what you do not want to find! You will never look at your phone the same way again.

/s

Looked and finally found it. Doesn't bother me. Oh well. It's how it is. Who cares?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

I just wanted to thank you two for at least fessing up and admitting you DO have the spots even though initially you guys reported that your screen didn't have them. This is how I feel MOST people out there really do have it, they just don't have the required level of attention to detail to notice it.

And roberte haha sorry man I feel your pain. I wish I never found out about the black spots, but my OCD with a new phone especially towards looking for dead/stuck pixels lead me to the discovery of the annoying black spots. And now, they are always there haunting me reminding me that my screen is messed up lol. Hopefully by the time 1080p RGB AMOLED displays are being produced they can nip this issue in the butt for good.

Thorin Oakenshield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I hate you.

/s

haahaha cheers man this made my day

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Notice this on my Maxx HD as the phone is booting up (there's briefly a time when the screen is blank) when I'm in an entirely dark room. It's a bunch of smallish dots. Never noticed it in any other circumstances. Happy to know that this is "normal" although it never concerned me, it was more interesting than anything else.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
As if those that don't are lying:rolleyes:

I'm not calling them liars, I'm saying they just don't notice things as easily as others. On XDA where the crowd is a good bit more hardcore than AC, people steadily continue to acknowledge findings and report them with photos, screenshots, logs etc. Here it's all anecdotal with these users. And this particular issue is one that requires you really understand what you're looking for and have the eyes to look for it. Most people on AC just want to talk about how much they love their phone, or share stories about the device and what accessories they like etc.

That's my point. It has been made, and I have nothing further to add to it. My point was proven in this very thread where these good folks originally claimed, much like the rest, that their phone didn't have the issues. Well they took the time to look and found that hey there really is stuff wrong with their screen.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not calling them liars, I'm saying they just don't notice things as easily as others. On XDA where the crowd is a good bit more hardcore than AC, people steadily continue to acknowledge findings and report them with photos, screenshots, logs etc. Here it's all anecdotal with these users. And this particular issue is one that requires you really understand what you're looking for and have the eyes to look for it. Most people on AC just want to talk about how much they love their phone, or share stories about the device and what accessories they like etc.

That's my point. It has been made, and I have nothing further to add to it. My point was proven in this very thread where these good folks originally claimed, much like the rest, that their phone didn't have the issues. Well they took the time to look and found that hey there really is stuff wrong with their screen.

I get it. The blobs on amoled displays are not cool. I have had many phones with them. I have rocked these displays since the facsinate. I traded 3 gnexs in because these "blobs" interfered with color reproduction at low levels. I never got a perfect gnex. They all had it to some degree, more than others. I am very picky about my device, and I suspect all AC members here because they are picky, OS loving, attention to detail oreientated, folks like myself. Are XDA members more "hardcore?" I have no clue what you are refering to and quite frankly don't think that matters. XDA has some amazing members for sure, but so do we. When AC folk say something, I believe them if quite a few say the same thing. That is what is going on here.

The tech has improved so much. I know many people with perfect sgs3 displays and all the notes I have seen replicate colors perfectly, even in low light. I bet it is more frustrating for folks that have the "video loading screen" constantly going on a slow wifi or 3g area, than the actual "blobs" themselves that a amoled device produced today may or may not have. I belive AC users are just as picky, hardcore, or whatever as any mobile forum member. You can make your point, but sweeping generalizations will ensure discorse, so we discuss : )

Like many posters have said, if the display is not displaying any image, and they are there, then it is fine. Not all amoled displays have them as many have said, myself included. I could care less if they were there, as long as the phone always displayed a perfect image on any color, at any brightness.

I disagree with you that just because some devices have this such as yours, that it means the screen is messed up. If you can see them in any movie, pic, web page, then it is, but if thy are only there while "nothing is displayed" while something is loading, then it is normal. Some screens may have lines. Some may have blotches, some may not have any. They are all good screens as long as it hapens when "nothing" is displayed.

Pardon me, I am a busy student/at work/husband/father, but I will, when I get a moment, post a pic of all my amoled displays with her dslr of loading videos in the dark. I frequent XDA often, and I can tell you the members there are no better, worse, more accurate, taller, shorter, whiter, blacker.

Rock on lol.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a small blob. Its very tiny and is up in the corner on the right. You can only see it when the screen is displaying a very dark or black image. Even though the image is black you can still see it because the backlight is on. However you cant see it when the screen is on so its no big deal.

Sent via Tapatalk

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I've tried everything to recreate the scenario in which the dark blobs show up, and I can't seem to. Does anyone have pics of what I'm supposed to be looking for?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried everything to get that happening but I couldn't. So apparently my batch is fine. My friend who have the sprint version and she have no dark blobs.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze