Sharing videos from my Note 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to share a video to someone from my Note 2, but was unable to email it due to the file size. I downloaded an app from the Play Store called Video Shrink, but it didn't work. The app also has quite a few 1 star ratings of users saying the app doesn't work well.
Any suggestions on sending someone a video from my device?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Question, did you shoot the video in the "limit for email/message restriction? If not, you can try and trim it, but at 720p, it will depend on how large it is. And how far is the person from you?

But.... If you wanted and have access, use Dropbox! Just upload it to there, share the folder with the person (it sends them alittle email with the link directly to it), and is done.

Sorry of that, if they are right there, there is s-beam (but that will only work well if they have a s3 or note 2 also) and there is also dlna via "nearby devices".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Question, did you shoot the video in the "limit for email/message restriction? If not, you can try and trim it, but at 720p, it will depend on how large it is. And how far is the person from you?

But.... If you wanted and have access, use Dropbox! Just upload it to there, share the folder with the person (it sends them alittle email with the link directly to it), and is done.

Sorry of that, if they are right there, there is s-beam (but that will only work well if they have a s3 or note 2 also) and there is also dlna via "nearby devices".

The video is about 30 seconds, but the file size is about 70 MB. If I uploaded it do DropBox then sent them the link, it would take a long time for them to download it because they don't have 4G speed on their iPhone 4.
I was hoping I could find a way to shrink it on my device, and send a version of the video with less quality and a smaller file size.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's a toughie that I've never been able to accomplish. 30mb? Hmmmnn, and Gmail will not send it?

They are right there with you?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I saw in the playstore that "might" work is called

Video converter android by roman10

I haven't used it myself, but I run into this also and usually use Dropbox, so if you decide to try it, please just give a little feedback?

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
MatroxD gave you the right advice. While you're in the camera, switch over to video camera then hit the settings. Look for "recording mode", then tap that and you'll see an option for "limit for MMS". When recording videos you may want to send, hit this option and it will automatically make the video the length and file size to be able to send to someone through MMS and I'm almost sure it will work with email too. The video you are trying to share that you originally posted about, do like MatroxD said and upload it to Dropbox on your PC if you have an account (upload it to public folder). Once uploaded, right click it and click "public link", then paste the link in an email to your recipient and when they click the link it will play the video for the person. Don't worry about them having to download it, it will just play. Next time use the "limit for MMS" feature in the video camera settings and you won't have to go through so much trouble. Good luck!

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
MatroxD gave you the right advice. While you're in the camera, switch over to video camera then hit the settings. Look for "recording mode", then tap that and you'll see an option for "limit for MMS". When recording videos you may want to send, hit this option and it will automatically make the video the length and file size to be able to send to someone through MMS and I'm almost sure it will work with email too. The video you are trying to share that you originally posted about, do like MatroxD said and upload it to Dropbox on your PC if you have an account (upload it to public folder). Once uploaded, right click it and click "public link", then paste the link in an email to your recipient and when they click the link it will play the video for the person. Don't worry about them having to download it, it will just play. Next time use the "limit for MMS" feature in the video camera settings and you won't have to go through so much trouble. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I finally found an app that can shrink my videos!!!
Now I can continue to record my videos in HD, then create a shrunken down copy to share when needed.
The app is called Video Message Shrinker

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ostmobile.videomessageshrinker&token=_ED3UFyJ

It's a paid app, and it had quite a few 1 star ratings just like the other video shrink app I tried. I noticed that all of the poor ratings were from last year, and the Dev posted a fix a few days ago.
So I decided to give it a try, and it worked perfectly.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Send full length video in all its glory by just uploading to YouTube. You can do this and hit the option to only have the person you sent it to able to ever see it. This way all your sending is a link and the viewer will see the video in all its hi Def glory that you intended.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Now I can continue to record my videos in HD, then create a shrunken down copy to share when needed.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ostmobile.videomessageshrinker&token=6gpTF_np

It's a paid app, and it had quite a few 1 star ratings just like the other video shrink app I tried. I noticed that all of the poor ratings were from last year, and the Dev posted a fix a few days ago.

Niiice! I shall be trying this right now. Glad you got it to work

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks makaroni and zmann for the Dropbox and YouTube work around.
I'll definitely keep those options in mind when I'm on a wifi network. Since I'm no longer on an unlimited data plan, I have to change how I do things on the shared plans. Uploading 10+ videos around 100 MB each to DropBox or YouTube will quickly eat up 1 GB of data.
I will definitely be using Video Message Shrinker when I'm out and about, and not on a wifi connection.

Last edited:

Tunnelrunner

Nov 8, 2008
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ostmobile.videomessageshrinker&token=d3E4Xk65

One of the things that iOS does better than Android is the simple ability to e-mail videos that are longer than 10 seconds - as well as the ability to trim and e-mail different parts of the video. Those are basic tasks that my iPhone 5 does way better than my Note 2 and it just kills me. I've found (on my Note 2) that dropping the resolution to the *lowest* setting allows you to e-mail a video of a max. duration of about 1 minute and 20 seconds (that's just under the 9 MB limit). That's a good length for a video but obviously the quality isn't going to be so great. I have not tried Video Message Shrinker though as I don't have access to my Note 2 (I'm on vacation right now) but I can't wait to try it!

Hoping Key Lime Pie gives us the native ability to send videos without DropBox or YouTube workarounds,
B.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Niiice! I shall be trying this right now. Glad you got it to work

Thanks! So its worth the $3.00? The quality is good?

And lol, thanks z and mac for the YouTube workaround. I never even considered that. Lol, truly takes a community! You guys are awesome!

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

And lol, thanks z and mac for the YouTube workaround. I never even considered that. Lol, truly takes a community! You guys are awesome!

Yes it is worth it. minor things in fine print though... Vids need to be under 100Mb but I'm sure you're not trying to send a movie so you should be good, need to have an Internet connection so it will use data to shrink videos and takes a little while to shrink depending on video size. Other than that the app creator will refund your Money of you don't like it or if you have any problems so it's worth a shot. I give it the thumbs up and by the way you're awesome too. We all are because we are ALL THINGS ANDROID!

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

And ok, that shouldn't be a problem. I just am trying to make sure it's worth it because I edit and could probably do the same on my desktop. I'm just lazy and don't want to fire it up. Lol!

And yes! ANDROID FOREVER!!!

Tunnelrunner

Nov 8, 2008
Visit site
Yes it is worth it. minor things in fine print though... Vids need to be under 100Mb but I'm sure you're not trying to send a movie so you should be good, need to have an Internet connection so it will use data to shrink videos and takes a little while to shrink depending on video

Awesome! Now the suspense is killing me. I tried Vidcon and couldn't get it to work. But Iike what I'm hearing about VMS.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
One of the things that iOS does better than Android is the simple ability to e-mail videos that are longer than 10 seconds - as well as the ability to trim and e-mail different parts of the video. Those are basic tasks that my iPhone 5 does way better than my Note 2 and it just kills me. I've found (on my Note 2) that dropping the resolution to the *lowest* setting allows you to e-mail a video of a max. duration of about 1 minute and 20 seconds (that's just under the 9 MB limit). That's a good length for a video but obviously the quality isn't going to be so great. I have not tried Video Message Shrinker though as I don't have access to my Note 2 (I'm on vacation right now) but I can't wait to try it!

Hoping Key Lime Pie gives us the native ability to send videos without DropBox or YouTube workarounds,
B.

I agree. This is a feature Android needs to add to their OS. I'm able email videos with no problem on my iPad, because iOS converts the video before attaching it to the email. This is lacking in Android. Hope this isn't a feature that's patented by Apple. If so, we may never see it on Android without the use of 3rd party apps.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

The quality is decent. I wouldn't rely on it to convert all of your videos for a smaller file size. It will come in handy for me for those times when I need to quickly share a video, and not be concerned if it's in HD, while not using a lot of data. I will use the DropBox and YouTube uploads when video quality is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49