Just took the plunge, switched from iPhone 5!

gadgetman#CB

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just picked up a titanium AT&T Galaxy Note 2, switched from an iPhone 5 / iPad mini LTE combo.

After carrying the mini for a few months, I love having a bigger-screened device with me, but carrying it everywhere is just a pain. It seems like this phone can replace both devices, and I have an iPad 4 wifi for home and iOS use.

Thank you to the people on these forums, I've been lurking for weeks, occasionally posting, and it has been very helpful in my decision making.

Couple of quick questions to start (I feel like I will have many, and yes I am searching the forums before posting questions);

Recommendations for a twitter app? I used the excellent Tweetbot on the iPhone, and it seems like the stock twitter app is kind of plain.

How about a podcast app? I used Downcast on iOS, it is very fully featured, subscriptions, etc.

My music is all in iTunes on my MacBook Air, is there a good way to sync? I also have a windows laptop, am I better off just putting the music on a card separately or can I sync with iTunes using a third party app?

My phone came with android 4.1.1, is there a newer version available?

Thanks in advance for the help, I look forward to a cool tech learning adventure!

Tunnelrunner

Nov 8, 2008
Visit site
RE: Twitter app, sorry, I just use the official Twitter one. It's plain but it works.

RE: podcast app, the closest thing Android has to Downcast are actually two different apps: Pocket Casts and DoggCatcher. I like DoggCatcher's UI better but Pocket Casts seems to have the more extensive library (95% of the episodes I had on Downcast, I could find on Pocket Casts).

RE: your iTunes library, you can try the app Easy Phone Sync (which also requires you to download a desktop app) - this syncs over files from your iTunes library with 1 caveat: it can't sync DRM-protected songs.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I can answer your music sync question. There are a couple different ways to do it, but coming from iOS myself I wanted to find a solution that would sync both ways, including playlists, podcasts, etc. I also wanted a wireless solution. I found iSyncr wifi to be a great choice. It does everything I want it to do and it does it automatically every night at 2 AM. You can also sync manually if auto doesn't work for you. If I buy music in iTunes it will auto sync and update my phone that night. If I change a playlist or delete a song it works too. If I buy music on my phone it will send it to iTunes.

Since you are a "gadgetman" like me, you probably don't have a problem paying for an app if its worth the money. ISyncr is one of those apps. I don't remember how much it costs, but its not much and worth every penny.

I also use Dropbox photo sync I installed Dropbox on my phone and Mac. I was prompted to sync photos, which I did. As you sync photos DB will give you more free storage. I then wrote an automater script that takes the photos, adds them to iPhoto, then I add them to my photo stream by month, or arrange them, how I want.

Between the two things it really solved the pain in switching. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Falcon pro or plume for Twitter on ios I used tweetbot nothing on Android comes close IMO

And podcast I use beyond pod

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I can answer your music sync question. There are a couple different ways to do it, but coming from iOS myself I wanted to find a solution that would sync both ways, including playlists, podcasts, etc. I also wanted a wireless solution. I found iSyncr wifi to be a great choice. It does everything I want it to do and it does it automatically every night at 2 AM. You can also sync manually if auto doesn't work for you. If I buy music in iTunes it will auto sync and update my phone that night. If I change a playlist or delete a song it works too. If I buy music on my phone it will send it to iTunes.

Since you are a "gadgetman" like me, you probably don't have a problem paying for an app if its worth the money. ISyncr is one of those apps. I don't remember how much it costs, but its not much and worth every penny.

I also use Dropbox photo sync I installed Dropbox on my phone and Mac. I was prompted to sync photos, which I did. As you sync photos DB will give you more free storage. I then wrote an automater script that takes the photos, adds them to iPhoto, then I add them to my photo stream by month, or arrange them, how I want.

Between the two things it really solved the pain in switching. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also am considering switching from iPhone to the Note 2, and have been wondering these same things. I love your options for photo sync, and iSyncr sounds like a PERFECT solution. I plan on picking up one of these in the next month or so with a 64gb card. I'm seriously stoked to get back to Android after using my Nexus 7 religiously. What's the script you wrote for the iPhoto sync? How would one go about obtaining such an item? :)

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Also- I use Plume for my Twitter app. I LOVE it. More so than what I've been using on my iPhone. Definitely one of my favorite apps out there for social.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad