In the Battery screen we can see the percentage that applications or processes are taking. The one thing you can't see is what is keeping the application or process open. Is there anyway to see this information whether through in-built functionality or an application through the Play store?

For example, I have Maps taking up 15% battery right now, but the application isn't in the running application list and if I force stop Maps, it just starts back up soon after. I can't seem to find a way to figure out what is causing Maps to be open.

While I'm sure a restart would help, I'm more concerned about finding out reasons behind it as I'm sure it will happen again to Maps or another application so knowing how to solve this will help.
    01-20-2013 01:27 PM
    To find out more about what's using your battery, Better Battery Stats is about as good as it gets for drilling in.

In the case of Maps, since Android 4.1 with Google Now came out, Maps has been showing greater battery usage for everyone. It seems to be because Google Now is tracking your location constantly in the background. You can turn off location reporting in Maps->Settings which will reduce the battery consumption, but you will loose some Google Now functionality.
    alamarco likes this.
    01-21-2013 12:22 AM
    In the case of Maps, since Android 4.1 with Google Now came out, Maps has been showing greater battery usage for everyone. It seems to be because Google Now is tracking your location constantly in the background. You can turn off location reporting in Maps->Settings which will reduce the battery consumption, but you will loose some Google Now functionality.
    I didn't realize how much Traffic Card in Google Now use so much of my battery. I thought it would check in every 30 min or an hour to track my traffic. But it seem like it tracking every 5 min. Before I enabled the Traffic, my battery last two whole day with moderate use. With Traffic card, it barely last more than 12 hours. During that time, I was figuring out what is really eating up my battery. Checking the battery list didn't help because it kept saying Android OS or the services. I thought it was my Mobile Security (phone tracker provided by Aursion) that going rogue with my gps. But it only have 90 min update. Took me two weeks to figure out that it the traffic card and my battery usage went back to normal.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2
    nexususer99 and alamarco like this.
    01-21-2013 03:27 AM
    Appreciate the information. Better Battery Stats looks really good and definitely shows a lot more than stock.

I had already turned off location reporting, so Maps is definitely using more than just the location. It's just annoying that you can see what service is taking up the battery, but you don't know what's turning on that service. Just seems like that information should be readily available to help you out a bit.

Yeah, I disabled Google Now. Didn't provide much use as I mainly was interested in sport scores and the weather. I already use sport scores and for weather I just downloaded another app.
    01-21-2013 09:58 PM