06-03-2013 08:40 PM
461 12345 ...
tools
    No way I'm giving up my Note 2, but the new BBs do look pretty nice. They've always had the very best keyboards too.
    These could slow or stop the corporate migrations away from BB.
    the best keyboards for pixies with teeny tiny fingers and a teeny tiny screen to see your typing on. I never figured out the attraction to bb hardware. i stuck with pda's and dumbphones until i finally saw a windows mobile phone that had a screen big enough to utilize smartphone properties.
    01-31-2013 10:09 AM
    -Xperia Ion
    that one was a joke, right?
    01-31-2013 10:12 AM
    For you considering BB--here is an excerpt from a reviewer, which mentions even MORE negatives about the new BB than what I'd previously learned from other, earlier reviews ("little" things like a crappy camera, low speaker volume, call quality) . Read if you dare...

"Like most other attendees at the press conference on Wednesday, I was given a BlackBerry Z10 to take and explore. I got back to my office after the event, opened up the sleek packaging, and dove in.

Firstly, I did not find the BlackBerry 10 interface as confusing as many others seem to have. Confusing is a poor choice of words, I think. The UX in BlackBerry 10 is not confusing, its illogical in the context of the modern smartphone platform.

Android and iOS both have linear workflows. You open an app, you close an app. BlackBerry 10 also lets you open and close apps, but there are additional layers that are core to the experience. Swipes up, and down, and left, and right all perform different functions and reveal different layers. Some swipes do different things at different times. Some swipes in one direction expose layers that enter the UI from another direction.

It sounds overbearing but I found that after about 30 minutes of usage, I was able to navigate the UI fluidly with no problems. Its just like Windows 8. The workflow is new and it takes some getting used to, but its really not that complicated. If I can do it, you can probably do it too.

With what is seemingly the biggest barrier to entry overcome, I began to dive deeper. The UI was cheerful and attractive. The display was bright and vivid. The performance was silky smooth. The Hub that aggregates all of my emails, text messages, BBM messages and Twitter notifications was a breath of fresh air.

And just when I started to think that BlackBerry is really on to something here, that BlackBerry 10 could really be something special, that this giant finally has legs questions began popping up left and right. And they all started with why.

Why isnt there a visual notification with a message preview when a new email or BBM message arrives?

Why do the volume buttons still work when the phone is locked?

Why cant I schedule profiles so my phone isnt buzzing and chiming with alerts on my bedside table throughout the night? My RAZR HD is smart enough to know when to shut up. My iPhone is smart enough. My Galaxy S3 is smart enough. Why isnt my Z10, with a brand new operating system, smart enough?

Why cant I see what time it is when Im in an app?

Why cant I find a decent app?

Why do photos captured with the Z10′s camera look like they were taken with a flip phone from 2006 unless the subject is in optimal lighting?

Why does a swipe up on the BlackBerry Hub screen cause a panel to enter the UI from the right?

Why doesnt is sync to the server instantly when I read an email as with other smartphone platforms, so other devices know to mark opened messages as read?

Why isnt a BBM chat scrolled down to the most recent message when I get an alert and access the appropriate chat in BlackBerry Hub?

Why?

I could go on and on. Put plainly, BlackBerry 10 isnt a platform of the future in its current state. Its a platform of the present is some ways, and in many others its a platform of the past.

Early reviews of RIMs first BlackBerry 10 smartphone paint a somewhat troubling picture. They all find drastic improvements over earlier BlackBerry platforms and they all find faults as well. The conclusions are almost unanimously worrisome, though. BlackBerry 10 is nice, the BlackBerry Z10 is nice, but there is no reason to choose either over Android or the iPhone.

This is not good news.

BlackBerry has a sizable installed base of just under 80 million users. It is from this group that analysts expect most of the new platforms early adoption to come. Much of that installed base exists in the enterprise market, where upgrading to new server software and deploying new handsets is a costly endeavor. Another huge chunk comes from various consumer markets around the globe where low-cost handsets prevail and a $750 smartphone is out of the question.

For current BlackBerry users desperate for an upgrade, the Z10 is a fantastic option that makes BlackBerry 7 look sad and stale. The problem, though, is that BlackBerry 10 should make Android and iOS look sad and stale as well.

Im not going to tell you that there isnt a market for BlackBerry 10. Businesses that have BlackBerry phones deployed right now might find BB10 to be a great upgrade. Diehards will love it too, of course, because they would love anything BlackBerry put out. Just like iPhone diehards will buy any shiny new iPhone and Android diehards cant wait for the next bump in specs.

But the mass market the millions of smartphone users and new business customers RIM needs to reel in might not be so easy to convince.

Frankly, people invested in other platforms have no reason to switch to BlackBerry 10. There are no compelling features present on the Z10 that are missing from their iPhones and Galaxy S3s, there is no striking differentiation, and theyll lose most or even all of their favorite apps if they switch. Its a very, very tough sell. Is it possible for BlackBerry 10 to gain a fair amount of traction with the right marketing message and the right sales pitch at retail stores? Maybe, but its a long shot at best.

With all that said, I sincerely hope BlackBerry has done enough to give current users incentive to open their wallets. I hope BlackBerry 10 attracts some new users as well. I hope the company sells millions of these new phones and I hope the revenue they generate is enough to carry BlackBerry forward as it uses BlackBerry 10′s building blocks to mold its new platform into something special.

The groundwork is there. I can see it. Yes, there are holes and yes, some are gaping. But with enough time I think BlackBerry can fill many of them. The question, though, is whether or not the company can also start building real innovation and compelling differentiation into its platform while also filling these holes. BlackBerrys future may depend on the answer to this question.

We all now bear witness to what will inexorably be the beginning of the end for BlackBerry, or the end of the beginning."
    ibbyj and allargon like this.
    01-31-2013 10:25 AM
    RIMM is sitting at just under 13/share at the moment. Wonder if it's gonna make it to under 8 again? Seems to me the world is not too thrilled with RIM new products. Having owned a BB, I can't quite follow the logic of anyone who thinks that the overhaul of the OS is going to make BB devices be more practical/fun/whatever, than the competition, which has been soundly battering RIM for the last couple of years. The items mentioned by the reviewer in my previous post aren't trivial complaints, IMHO. I owned a BB for over a year and it was the most obnoxiously confounding, irritating piece of equipment I've ever had the displeasure to own. Email?? HAH!! it sucked! truncated emails. servers going down. good grief--that's a load of crap when BB fans claim that BB is so great for emails. Emails on my Android devices on all my accounts (gmail, yahoo, comcast) are all quickly delivered and viewing them doesn't give me fits like truncation per BB.
    01-31-2013 10:36 AM
    My wife works for an international company and even they are rolling iphones instead of blackberrys. It's a nice upgrade for blackberry owners but I don't see any android or iphone fans leaving. I know some people who don't use their smartphones fully and those may switch.
    01-31-2013 10:56 AM
    I think RIM is a little too late to the party. :/
    01-31-2013 11:52 AM
    I just arrived here from BlackBerry and nothing I had heard about their new platform seemed to outdo what the Note 2 had to offer. Is there anything that the BB10 outperforms the competition?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Its a mix of current iOS, android, and wp8 features. I foresee lawsuit city right around the corner for rim.

Edit: I mean blackberry.

Sent from my SPH-L710
    01-31-2013 11:53 AM
    This is a joke right? I watched the videos and listened to the speech on bb10. No I won't ever consider BlackBerry again.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    01-31-2013 11:59 AM
    Look, I don't want to get on the wrong side of android users. The question was who will be switching to BB10. Not who thinks BB10 is better than android. Personally speaking for myself, I prefer the Blackberry. If the Q10 is a better Blackberry, then I look forward to trying it. It might be better, maybe not. Reviews and first impressions don't influence my preferences. I like the Note2 and will enjoy using it till the Q10 comes to the USA. I look forward to it. No big deal, just being honest. My phone is in my pocket most of the time, I don't care about the huge screen, I don't type well on a touch screen, I don't need the promise of a bazillion apps, Im not a gamer. Please don't take offense with me, I didn't ask the question.

my comment wasn't meant to be any kind of attack, just an honest curiosity... the Note is literally my first phone without a physical keyboard, and I was really torn on if I could survive without one or not. The combination of the big screen and s-pen have made the transition pretty smooth. I do love a blackberry keyboard though, so it would be tempting, but I really love the Note 2
    01-31-2013 12:03 PM
    I believe BlackBerry still has its targeted audience which for them has usually been surrounded by the business world due to BlackBerry's proven security. Plus they are trying to pull in the social media audience so I do think they have a direction.

Will it work? Only time will tell

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-31-2013 12:05 PM
    They need to port BBM over to other platforms and then.............

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    01-31-2013 12:09 PM
    Have any of you claiming you want a bb read the reviews?????

Sent from Note 2
    Sure have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...pagewanted=all

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    01-31-2013 12:41 PM
    For you considering BB--here is an excerpt from a reviewer, which mentions even MORE negatives about the new BB than what I'd previously learned from other, earlier reviews ("little" things like a crappy camera, low speaker volume, call quality) . Read if you dare...

"Like most other attendees at the press conference on Wednesday, I was given a BlackBerry Z10 to take and explore. I got back to my office after the event, opened up the sleek packaging, and dove in.

Firstly, I did not find the BlackBerry 10 interface as confusing as many others seem to have. Confusing is a poor choice of words, I think. The UX in BlackBerry 10 is not confusing, its illogical in the context of the modern smartphone platform.

Android and iOS both have linear workflows. You open an app, you close an app. BlackBerry 10 also lets you open and close apps, but there are additional layers that are core to the experience. Swipes up, and down, and left, and right all perform different functions and reveal different layers. Some swipes do different things at different times. Some swipes in one direction expose layers that enter the UI from another direction.

It sounds overbearing but I found that after about 30 minutes of usage, I was able to navigate the UI fluidly with no problems. Its just like Windows 8. The workflow is new and it takes some getting used to, but its really not that complicated. If I can do it, you can probably do it too.

With what is seemingly the biggest barrier to entry overcome, I began to dive deeper. The UI was cheerful and attractive. The display was bright and vivid. The performance was silky smooth. The Hub that aggregates all of my emails, text messages, BBM messages and Twitter notifications was a breath of fresh air.

And just when I started to think that BlackBerry is really on to something here, that BlackBerry 10 could really be something special, that this giant finally has legs questions began popping up left and right. And they all started with why.

Why isnt there a visual notification with a message preview when a new email or BBM message arrives?

Why do the volume buttons still work when the phone is locked?

Why cant I schedule profiles so my phone isnt buzzing and chiming with alerts on my bedside table throughout the night? My RAZR HD is smart enough to know when to shut up. My iPhone is smart enough. My Galaxy S3 is smart enough. Why isnt my Z10, with a brand new operating system, smart enough?

Why cant I see what time it is when Im in an app?

Why cant I find a decent app?

Why do photos captured with the Z10′s camera look like they were taken with a flip phone from 2006 unless the subject is in optimal lighting?

Why does a swipe up on the BlackBerry Hub screen cause a panel to enter the UI from the right?

Why doesnt is sync to the server instantly when I read an email as with other smartphone platforms, so other devices know to mark opened messages as read?

Why isnt a BBM chat scrolled down to the most recent message when I get an alert and access the appropriate chat in BlackBerry Hub?

Why?

I could go on and on. Put plainly, BlackBerry 10 isnt a platform of the future in its current state. Its a platform of the present is some ways, and in many others its a platform of the past.

Early reviews of RIMs first BlackBerry 10 smartphone paint a somewhat troubling picture. They all find drastic improvements over earlier BlackBerry platforms and they all find faults as well. The conclusions are almost unanimously worrisome, though. BlackBerry 10 is nice, the BlackBerry Z10 is nice, but there is no reason to choose either over Android or the iPhone.

This is not good news.

BlackBerry has a sizable installed base of just under 80 million users. It is from this group that analysts expect most of the new platforms early adoption to come. Much of that installed base exists in the enterprise market, where upgrading to new server software and deploying new handsets is a costly endeavor. Another huge chunk comes from various consumer markets around the globe where low-cost handsets prevail and a $750 smartphone is out of the question.

For current BlackBerry users desperate for an upgrade, the Z10 is a fantastic option that makes BlackBerry 7 look sad and stale. The problem, though, is that BlackBerry 10 should make Android and iOS look sad and stale as well.

Im not going to tell you that there isnt a market for BlackBerry 10. Businesses that have BlackBerry phones deployed right now might find BB10 to be a great upgrade. Diehards will love it too, of course, because they would love anything BlackBerry put out. Just like iPhone diehards will buy any shiny new iPhone and Android diehards cant wait for the next bump in specs.

But the mass market the millions of smartphone users and new business customers RIM needs to reel in might not be so easy to convince.

Frankly, people invested in other platforms have no reason to switch to BlackBerry 10. There are no compelling features present on the Z10 that are missing from their iPhones and Galaxy S3s, there is no striking differentiation, and theyll lose most or even all of their favorite apps if they switch. Its a very, very tough sell. Is it possible for BlackBerry 10 to gain a fair amount of traction with the right marketing message and the right sales pitch at retail stores? Maybe, but its a long shot at best.

With all that said, I sincerely hope BlackBerry has done enough to give current users incentive to open their wallets. I hope BlackBerry 10 attracts some new users as well. I hope the company sells millions of these new phones and I hope the revenue they generate is enough to carry BlackBerry forward as it uses BlackBerry 10′s building blocks to mold its new platform into something special.

The groundwork is there. I can see it. Yes, there are holes and yes, some are gaping. But with enough time I think BlackBerry can fill many of them. The question, though, is whether or not the company can also start building real innovation and compelling differentiation into its platform while also filling these holes. BlackBerrys future may depend on the answer to this question.

We all now bear witness to what will inexorably be the beginning of the end for BlackBerry, or the end of the beginning."
    Who wrote that, imore? The general vibe from reviews has been that it's pretty damn good.

npunk42 and bb10_fan like this.
    01-31-2013 12:43 PM
    the general vibe I get is what I expected and i have read many reviews--not just a few. I think you see things as you want to given your emotional investment in BB. that's OK, but it doesn't really match up with the public-at-large's opinion on BB. Even the shiny new BB 10 devices. I have no problem with anyone buying a BB. Just don't expect the average consumer to be wowed like you are.

PS: You don't see me hanging out in BB forums telling everyone how much I prefer Android or Samsung, or the Note 2, etc. There is a reason that the forums are broken up into specific brands and models.
    01-31-2013 01:01 PM
    the general vibe I get is what I expected and i have read many reviews--not just a few. I think you see things as you want to given your emotional investment in BB. that's OK, but it doesn't really match up with the public-at-large's opinion on BB. Even the shiny new BB 10 devices. I have no problem with anyone buying a BB. Just don't expect the average consumer to be wowed like you are.
    At least they don't act like one negative review decides right-then-and-there whether or not the product succeeds.
    wanzik likes this.
    01-31-2013 01:06 PM
    I've asked that this thread be moved elsewhere. this is not the place to be talking about BB.
    01-31-2013 01:07 PM
    At least they don't act like one negative review decides right-then-and-there whether or not the product succeeds.
    your point is? the general public cares little about RIM and won't buy their products in appreciable numbers even if NO reviews exist.
    01-31-2013 01:09 PM
    your point is? the general public cares little about RIM and won't buy their products in appreciable numbers even if NO reviews exist.
    First it's "well I found this reviewer who doesn't like it" and then all of a sudden when there are good reviews "well who cares what reviewers say or if it's any good, nobody wants it".

Look, there are 70 million or so loyal blackberry users, well above Windows Phone. BlackBerry only has to sell 2 million units to make their investors happy and have surplus cash. They'll sell that many to enterprise customers alone. You really don't know what you're talking about here.

And if I was so invested in BB, I wouldn't own 3 high end Android smartphones and a N7 tablet.

aaronbuescher and wanzik like this.
    01-31-2013 01:23 PM
    HEHE. to compare to Windows phone is rather laughable, IMO. Let's not forget that Apple and Android owns the lions share of market. In THAT context, it's hard to claim that BB is going to succeed, regardless of the "70 million" "loyal" BB fans. There are way more non BB users.
    01-31-2013 01:39 PM
    Well I am thinking about switching to only because I hate the idea of having to open all the different apps when I get a new alert... Find me a hub type app for my note 2 and I will kot go anywhere but I have yet to find anything like this yet

I do love me note though.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-2013 01:39 PM
    You must not have read a particular review I read yesterday complaining bitterly about the notifications in BB 10.
    01-31-2013 01:41 PM
    There are too many things about the Android OS that I like. While out of curiosity, I will check it out. I doubt I am dumping Android any time soon.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Android Central Forums
    ibbyj likes this.
    01-31-2013 01:41 PM
    There are too many things about the Android OS that I like. While out of curiosity, I will check it out. I doubt I am dumping Android any time soon.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Android Central Forums
    Same here, and having gone from the Bionic (ugh) to the Note 2, it's like going from something somewhat "OK", to something awesome. Android is as good as the wrapper it comes in, IMO.
    joemd60 likes this.
    01-31-2013 02:06 PM
    HEHE. to compare to Windows phone is rather laughable, IMO. Let's not forget that Apple and Android owns the lions share of market. In THAT context, it's hard to claim that BB is going to succeed, regardless of the "70 million" "loyal" BB fans. There are way more non BB users.
    I'm pretty sure he had to compare it to windows phone simply because bb10 isn't comparable to android or iOS.

Sent from my SPH-L710
    1812dave likes this.
    01-31-2013 02:12 PM
    Nope, not leaving Android for BlackBerry or any other OS.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P
    01-31-2013 02:15 PM
461 12345 ...