Who's leaving for the new BlackBerry phones?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't this a BB10 related thread or did I just stumble into a ' he said, he said thread? '

Lets get back to the topic guys :)

DaveH84

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Can't beat a rom'd phone do you think BB will allow that? Look how Apple acted, Google is like eff it we still get revenue from the apps.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw someone posted about not having apps. One Android forum I visit said many Android developers already ported over apps. BB made it easy to do. If they made it easy for iOS apps to be ported over...

But just Android apps getting ported over alone is a good thing. A better chance for a person looking to switch finding their fav Android apps. I never used one either...but I saw a BB hold a signal in my building where every other phone I actually saw dropped the call. The only phone that came close was my Moto Android phones. That alone had me hoping they would update their OS. My 3 line family plan...I might go all out and have 3 different mobile platforms on it.

Blackberry has always allowed custom firmware, right out of the box.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Yea...I visited some BB sites when BB10 was a fey days from being announced. I was surprised about the ROM scene there. There is a difference how they are installed...but its available.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could buy a new BB10 device to play around with. I thought it looked cool even though it probably wouldn't replace my S3.

As I read through this thread, I did find it interesting how crackberry traitor repeatedly pointed out how BB knowingly won't compete to be in the top 2. I agree with him, because success is relative. However, as a consumer why would I spend the same amount of money (or more) for a product designed to be 3rd tier? I get that they have a few benefits like strong security, but the pro's certainly do not outweigh the con's at this point. At least as far as I can tell.

I will always spend my money on the best product. My biggest pet peeve is when Apple disciples praise their inferior product because of blind loyalty. Use your consumer power to get the biggest bang for your buck. Right now, that's Android.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry appears to be targeting corporate users who want to maintain a Chinese wall between their work mode and leisure mode. Corporate IT admins still love BB and the control it affords them, so it's not smart to write off BB just yet. The idea seems to be that BB wants to provide enough functionality out of the box that apps, per se, will not be so important. It's clear, though, that people who want a smartphone to play games and pin maps to their Facebook pages (or other trivial entertainments) will not be looking at these devices. They're going to be very business-centric, which is not where either iOS or Android is from a revenue perspective.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could buy a new BB10 device to play around with. I thought it looked cool even though it probably wouldn't replace my S3.

As I read through this thread, I did find it interesting how crackberry traitor repeatedly pointed out how BB knowingly won't compete to be in the top 2. I agree with him, because success is relative. However, as a consumer why would I spend the same amount of money (or more) for a product designed to be 3rd tier? I get that they have a few benefits like strong security, but the pro's certainly do not outweigh the con's at this point. At least as far as I can tell.

I will always spend my money on the best product. My biggest pet peeve is when Apple disciples praise their inferior product because of blind loyalty. Use your consumer power to get the biggest bang for your buck. Right now, that's Android.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I don't think it's so much designed to be third tier, rather it's made to appeal to a smaller niche of the market, businesses, lawyers, doctors etc. who are looking for a no nonsense state of the art communication tool.

And honestly, there's not much that can be done on any other platform that can't be done as well BB10. That's not to say there's nothing at all. There are a few apps missing, but they'll be available in the coming weeks. You can be sure Google maps will be around in short order, they always provided an app for every previous generation of BB. If you use your device primarily for communication, but like surfing the web, listening to music and checking Facebook or whatever as well, there is no reason not to go for a BB10 device, it's certainly faster and more efficient at performing those tasks than it's competitors.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I remember my BB Curve 8330.. I'm not sure what it was I really did because I was so noobish but I downloaded a bunch of files, placed them on my BB and converted my entire phone over to a Gears of War theme. Icons, text font, sounds, etc... Pretty cool actually...

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry appears to be targeting corporate users who want to maintain a Chinese wall between their work mode and leisure mode. Corporate IT admins still love BB and the control it affords them, so it's not smart to write off BB just yet. The idea seems to be that BB wants to provide enough functionality out of the box that apps, per se, will not be so important. It's clear, though, that people who want a smartphone to play games and pin maps to their Facebook pages (or other trivial entertainments) will not be looking at these devices. They're going to be very business-centric, which is not where either iOS or Android is from a revenue perspective.

^^^^^
This absolutely. People ragging on Blackberry need to understand who the device is geared for.

Though some of the new games for BB10 look really nice and have sick graphics.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I remember my BB Curve 8330.. I'm not sure what it was I really did because I was so noobish but I downloaded a bunch of files, placed them on my BB and converted my entire phone over to a Gears of War theme. Icons, text font, sounds, etc... Pretty cool actually...

The oldschool equivalent to xda modders. I remember fiddling with all sorts of crazy hybrid OSes as well.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

As I read through this thread, I did find it interesting how crackberry traitor repeatedly pointed out how BB knowingly won't compete to be in the top 2. I agree with him, because success is relative.

The assumption being that success can only be achieved in America. Blackberry is the number one phone in many other countries. That's probably why they are getting the new phones first. I pity the poor bastards who chase American sales numbers and California cool factor buy anything let alone a smartphone. I enjoy using the Note2, but I expect the Q10 to be all its cracked up to be, I look forward to making the switch. Yak all you want about American sales trends, RIM stock prices, whatever. I liked the Note2, I bought it. Over 400 bucks, the screen broke, that's another 100, an otterbox that another 80. I have an investment in the Note2. That's not the issue. The issue is personal preference. Not stepping on anyones toes, being the smartest person in the forum, or having insight on the viability of any one company. Threads like this are interesting, but are prone to be about not answering a question but more about reaffirming the base of users who already made a choice. Its also interesting to see how many consider their choice as some kind of long standing commitment they need to defend from those who have made a different choice. Thanks to the OP for a interesting and provocative question.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I never feel committed to any device. I use a product for as long as it serves me well. Heck I even have more than 10 ipods but they go unused. As long as Android floats my boat that's what I'll use. Product ownership isn't like marriage

Sent from Note 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance