Who's leaving for the new BlackBerry phones?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's so much designed to be third tier, rather it's made to appeal to a smaller niche of the market, businesses, lawyers, doctors etc. who are looking for a no nonsense state of the art communication tool.

And honestly, there's not much that can be done on any other platform that can't be done as well BB10. That's not to say there's nothing at all. There are a few apps missing, but they'll be available in the coming weeks. You can be sure Google maps will be around in short order, they always provided an app for every previous generation of BB. If you use your device primarily for communication, but like surfing the web, listening to music and checking Facebook or whatever as well, there is no reason not to go for a BB10 device, it's certainly faster and more efficient at performing those tasks than it's competitors.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

I agree with what you're saying that it's for a niche market. But it's weird cause most people I talk to who ARE in that category (Doctors, Lawyers, Business Management, Human Resources Management) have zero interest in BB. I don't know.....I think it looks cool and I wouldn't mind using one secondary to my S3, but I think you are giving them a tad too much credit. They do 2 or 3 things better than the competition, but none of those things are enough to sway me personally.

It's cool that they appeal to a niche group, but I am confident that wasn't their goal. They don't have to uproot Apple or Android to be successful, but I'd bet you that the VP's of BlackBerry are not content being a 3rd tier niche product.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The assumption being that success can only be achieved in America. Blackberry is the number one phone in many other countries. That's probably why they are getting the new phones first. I pity the poor bastards who chase American sales numbers and California cool factor buy anything let alone a smartphone. I enjoy using the Note2, but I expect the Q10 to be all its cracked up to be, I look forward to making the switch. Yak all you want about American sales trends, RIM stock prices, whatever. I liked the Note2, I bought it. Over 400 bucks, the screen broke, that's another 100, an otterbox that another 80. I have an investment in the Note2. That's not the issue. The issue is personal preference. Not stepping on anyones toes, being the smartest person in the forum, or having insight on the viability of any one company. Threads like this are interesting, but are prone to be about not answering a question but more about reaffirming the base of users who already made a choice. Its also interesting to see how many consider their choice as some kind of long standing commitment they need to defend from those who have made a different choice. Thanks to the OP for a interesting and provocative question.

Dude, American sales are nothing to poke a sick at. BB doesn't sell great in the major European countries either. Or Asia. Sure, they might sell a TON of devices in Puerto Rico or Guatemala but that is nothing to brag about. It's not being dense or close minded, it's economics. I'm not bashing BB. I have a lot of interest in the company. But don't act like they are content and happy to be the top dawg of 3rd world countries.

UK market share: 8% (as of Fall '12)
Three crucial BB markets:
Spain: 3%
Brazil: 3%
France: 7%

(source: http://bgr.com)

So I guess let's wait and see what happens with this new release. Hopefully these numbers improve.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mmgquiet

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would dislike competition in the smart phone market. In the end, the consumer profits from it.

dave1812,

You make some valid points but if you "look outside the box" and read your own posts from a 3rd person point of view, you almost sound offended that BB and Windows even dare to compete against the product you currently choose to own/like.

If you think about it, the roles were completely reversed when Android first hit the market. Rim was a major player back then and Android was the new kid. Do you remember the very first version of Android? I do. IMO it was garbage but it had potential. The very same could be said with the new BB 10 os.

Do I think BB will make a full comback? Probably not. They'll most likely be bought-out by the competition, but that doesn't mean I won't be rooting for them all the way.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not offended. What irritates me is the attitude of those that think only bb can do email right. :) let them have their bb and let this forum be for the note. I asked the mods to move the thread bUT that's not happening

Sent from Note 2

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm certainly going to give the Q10 a look when it's available. It will really have to impress to move away from my SGS3, but there are still many times when I'm typing on the Galaxy that I just wish for my Bold 9930 keyboard. I don't really do much besides communication on my phone. Words With Friends, Amazon music, weather, news, facebook, MLB At Bat, LinkedIn and Skype. All of that will be available on the Q10. Majority of my needs are around email and sms and I sometimes wish I hadn't sold the 9930. On the SGS3, I just haven't found any keyboard or settings that allow me to respond with lengthy emails as easily and quickly. Still gets a little frustrating. I do love the big screen on my sgs3 and CleanRom is flawless and buttery smooth. Anyhow, I'll definitely give the Q10 a look - as I've said, it will have to be fantastic for me to switch back.

bb10_fan

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not offended. What irritates me is the attitude of those that think only bb can do email right. :) let them have their bb and let this forum be for the note. I asked the mods to move the thread bUT that's not happening Sent from Note 2
Wow, I cannot believe I read to the last post. And what I didn't find in any post is the statement "only bb can do email right". You seems to be highly review-dependent person, judging a product solely based on review from some tech blogs. I'm currently a WP user and post-Android user and I'll switch to BB10 once it will be available. I'm not a real fun of any OS (despite my nickname :D) and use that one that serves me well. I did honestly consider to buy a Note 2 and then Note 10.1 but when I saw how laggy they are just changed my mind. I really like the idea of a stylus on both Notes, because I used to have the Nokia N900 smartphone with stylus (of course it was not the same quality as Note 2), but if I could just scrap Android out of the device and install some real OS, not a strange virtual machine on top of modified Linux kernel, I absolutely would go to shop and purchase both devices immediately. My personal dislike to Android could be due to my professional work where I have to process huge amount of data in real or near-real time.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I started out in the smartphone world with the 8830 then the 8330 then the 8350 and lastly the 9350. I will seriously consider the z10. The only thing that android had over blackberry was web experience and screen size. Now thats gone. Sure I like rooting my phone and what not but honestly I'd prefer to have a device I can abuse and it giggles at me, that is secure, has excellent battery life WITHOUT me having to do a load of tinkering or turning stuff off and that works out of the box without me needing to download a myriad of apps to finally get it to where I like. I never needed to buy an app on blackberry to do anything. Sound profiles for one still is something I have to go the third party route to handle on android that was native to BB. I never carried a charger with any of my BBs and I never had to disable gps, wifi or whatever so I could have good battery life.

For me the only reason I left was initially when I bought a new phone last year in jan they had the evo design 4g for free and the bold was a hundred so I said why not try it. I like android but unlike bb I cannot just unbox an android phone and it just do what I need it to do. I never had to delve into tons of settings for the phone to feel right. Sure there are nice things about being able to do so much with your phone but most people outside of communities like this don't ever do more than change stock settings and download ringtones. For them and people like me who who do enjoy the customization that android supports, I don't at all feel like I would be missing out on anything if I left it. The reason I sold my 9350 was because the web browsing was terrible and so was the OS. With those two problems handled I'll gladly give up flashing roms, customizing fonts etc to have excellent security, good battery life, durability and sound profiles all stock.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would dislike competition in the smart phone market. In the end, the consumer profits from it.

dave1812,

You make some valid points but if you "look outside the box" and read your own posts from a 3rd person point of view, you almost sound offended that BB and Windows even dare to compete against the product you currently choose to own/like.

If you think about it, the roles were completely reversed when Android first hit the market. Rim was a major player back then and Android was the new kid. Do you remember the very first version of Android? I do. IMO it was garbage but it had potential. The very same could be said with the new BB 10 os.

Do I think BB will make a full comback? Probably not. They'll most likely be bought-out by the competition, but that doesn't mean I won't be rooting for them all the way.

I like how you pointed out that it helps if we take a step back and read our posts as a 3rd party. That is always a good idea in these forums as it keeps debate at a friendly level. I will say as I read your post, Android's first offering in the smartphone world was just that. Their FIRST offering. BlackBerry 10 is not this company's first attempt. That would be my concern if I was a BlackBerry user. A more accurate comparison would be if Android was stagnant for 3 years and then came out suddenly with 8.0.0 and it only "showed promise" or "had potential".

I think Dave's point is that this is a CRUCIAL step for BlackBerry and it underwhelmed him. It's cool if you or I disagree with him because I personally thought it looked pretty cool and interesting. But at the same time I also had higher hopes when I woke up. I actually felt a little giddy when I remembered their release was that day. I desperately want an innovative competitor for Android so that they don't fall into the same trap of complacency that is plaguing Apple. And as much as I love Android, I would switch in a heartbeat if someone else came out with a better offering. My loyalty is to myself and my needs. I could care less who is making the product, as long as I have access to the best that's available. I wont buy Android if it's the 3rd best, or just a niche product because I feel like consumers deserve better. That same concept applies for me to BB and Apple or Symbian or whoever else.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I forgot that the modding community was so big over on crackberry. I just was new to smartphones and never checked it out but that is right they have never denied people the ability to customize everything about their phone.

Unless in six months reviews of actual use say they are garbage I'll pick one up as soon as they hit sprint.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
honestly I'd prefer to have a device I can abuse and it giggles at me, that is secure, has excellent battery life WITHOUT me having to do a load of tinkering or turning stuff off and that works out of the box without me needing to download a myriad of apps to finally get it to where I like.

It sounds like you need an iPhone 5.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you need an iPhone 5.

Right because liking something that works without me HAVING to tinker with it means I hate customizing things. I guess me rooting my photon q and flashing roms means I hate android. Or maybe I think when you ship a product out it should work as intended without me having to do anything to it. Not to mention you can do almost all the things you can do to android on BB and they won't try to stop you so your post is ed.

- - - Updated - - -

And seriously what part of abuse don't you understand......iphones break when you sneeze near them lol

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a Blackberry several years ago, and found it to be unstable, not user-friendly and, basically, crap. I'd never go back; love Android.
And iOS is SO last-decade. ;-)

bb10_fan

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I had a Blackberry several years ago, and found it to be unstable, not user-friendly and, basically, crap. I'd never go back; love Android. And iOS is SO last-decade. ;-)
and if people start compare Android 1 with BlackBerry 10 you'll complain that it's unfair :) You cannot compare BlackBerry several years ago and BlackBerry 10.

P.S. I don't try to convert you or even convince to try it, it was just a remark

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I started out in the smartphone world with the 8830 then the 8330 then the 8350 and lastly the 9350. I will seriously consider the z10. The only thing that android had over blackberry was web experience and screen size. Now thats gone. Sure I like rooting my phone and what not but honestly I'd prefer to have a device I can abuse and it giggles at me, that is secure, has excellent battery life WITHOUT me having to do a load of tinkering or turning stuff off and that works out of the box without me needing to download a myriad of apps to finally get it to where I like. I never needed to buy an app on blackberry to do anything. Sound profiles for one still is something I have to go the third party route to handle on android that was native to BB. I never carried a charger with any of my BBs and I never had to disable gps, wifi or whatever so I could have good battery life.

For me the only reason I left was initially when I bought a new phone last year in jan they had the evo design 4g for free and the bold was a hundred so I said why not try it. I like android but unlike bb I cannot just unbox an android phone and it just do what I need it to do. I never had to delve into tons of settings for the phone to feel right. Sure there are nice things about being able to do so much with your phone but most people outside of communities like this don't ever do more than change stock settings and download ringtones. For them and people like me who who do enjoy the customization that android supports, I don't at all feel like I would be missing out on anything if I left it. The reason I sold my 9350 was because the web browsing was terrible and so was the OS. With those two problems handled I'll gladly give up flashing roms, customizing fonts etc to have excellent security, good battery life, durability and sound profiles all stock.

U are dreaming if u think those are the only things Android has over blackberry haha:D:sly:

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
and if people start compare Android 1 with BlackBerry 10 you'll complain that it's unfair :) You cannot compare BlackBerry several years ago and BlackBerry 10.

P.S. I don't try to convert you or even convince to try it, it was just a remark

Past behavior predicts future behavior

Sent from Note 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463