Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Business decisions aren't made to satisfy the fringe customers - and that's who is complaining about the current memory. (No criticism is intended by "fringe" - just a reflection that the majority of users are quite happy with the provided memory.) I'm perfectly satisfied with my phone, including the provided memory and its ability to use my 32GB SD card for data storage. I understand not everyone else is, and I sympathize with them - their wishes aren't less important than mine, but those folks should be aware they are not the mainstream customer base.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Now that didn't take long for the first negative feedback. Why do you start with "If it's that big a deal..."?

And correct, I didn't, or can't answer the question posed in this thread's header, why do they scrimp.

Wasn't trying to be negative, just realistic ;). I wish they did offer larger sizes, but unfortunately the realism is on the note, we're stuck with this 16gb internal, with 10-11 open to us. I'll just deal with it until my next phone.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks tirith; no harm, no foul.

Maxbucks, wishing/requesting is not complaining. You may, but I do not consider myself 'fringe'. I do not take offense. Actually, my hair is getting long. :)

Google recently did it right with the N7.
It used to be 8gb/16gb and then they went to 16gb/32gb. At the same price points. So I recently purchased 2 (32gb) which I gave as gifts.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
We are the 1% the other 99% are fine with the memory limits in place.

I think a lot more than 1% would like, or could use, more than 16gb for apps and data on the internal SD. Especially given the fact that not all apps have settings to put data on the external SD, that puts many Note 2 users in the same boat as many Apple heavy game users. It's likely at least 10 to 20% of Note 2 would like more internal storage.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Needs and desires? lol. When these manufacturers switch to 32GB being norm, there will still be that insignificant minority that will whine and complain about it, clamoring for 128GB/256GB to be the norm.

Is it whining and complaining to need or desire something for legitimate reasons? I can see especially given the fact that some apps don't have settings to store data on the external card that at least 10-20% of users would find the basically 10-9 gigs internal storage available to be limiting.

Oh and full-retail price for tablets are usually cheaper than phones.

That doesn't mean they don't make a higher profit margin on tablets.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot more than 1% would like, or could use, more than 16gb for apps and data on the internal SD. Especially given the fact that not all apps have settings to put data on the external SD, that puts many Note 2 users in the same boat as many Apple heavy game users. It's likely at least 10 to 20% of Note 2 would like more internal storage.
You do realize that would be over a million people, don't you? I'm not sure that many people would even know what "internal storage" even meant, much less what it is used for. 1% is probably a much more accurate number.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that would be over a million people, don't you? I'm not sure that many people would even know what "internal storage" even meant, much less what it is used for. 1% is probably a much more accurate number.

"I'm not sure" and "probably" does not equal "accurate".

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is it whining and complaining to need or desire something for legitimate reasons? I can see especially given the fact that some apps don't have settings to store data on the external card that at least 10-20% of users would find the basically 10-9 gigs internal storage available to be limiting.

If a phone or tablet doesn't offer features that are most important to you, you don't have to buy it.

It's hard to bring up logical and legitimate business reasons as to why 16GB seems to be the norm right now when most of the logical and legitimate reasons aren't deemed good enough for those that want more memory.

That doesn't mean they don't make a higher profit margin on tablets.

That doesn't mean that they do. There's a significant difference in BOM comparing phones to tablets. It probably costs more to develop a phone. But they probably sell more phones.

"I'm not sure" and "probably" does not equal "accurate".

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

"likely" doesn't make 10% to 20% all that accurate either.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
If a phone or tablet doesn't offer features that are most important to you, you don't have to buy it.

It's hard to bring up logical and legitimate business reasons as to why 16GB seems to be the norm right now when most of the logical and legitimate reasons aren't deemed good enough for those that want more memory.

That doesn't mean that they do. There's a significant difference in BOM comparing phones to tablets. It probably costs more to develop a phone. But they probably sell more phones.

"likely" doesn't make 10% to 20% all that accurate either.

"Don't have to buy"

No points for stating the obvious. As previously mentioned in this thread, I waited on the N7 to meet my requirement and then bought two. I'd love to own a GN2, but won't buy any 16gb phone.

I have not read logical and legitimate business reasons for low storage limits on the latest Android phones. Guesses and speculation, yes. And if you have some, why is it hard for you to bring them up?

And finally, I do not see the word "likely" in that 10?20% post. Nor the word "accurate".

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"Don't have to buy"

No points for stating the obvious. As previously mentioned in this thread, I waited on the N7 to meet my requirement and then bought two. I'd love to own a GN2, but won't buy any 16gb phone.

I have not read logical and legitimate business reasons for low storage limits on the latest Android phones. Guesses and speculation, yes. And if you have some, why is it hard for you to bring them up?

This post screams "la la la I can't hear you" like a child.

People gave reasons but none are good enough for you. Just because they're not good enough for you doesnt make them illogical or illegitimate.

Maybe higher profit margin?

Or their normal isn't what you think is the new normal?

Or someone told them if they build out 16/32/64GB versions of the same phone, most people would just buy the smallest version?

The carriers want them to have small memory sizes so we use "the cloud" and as much data as possible.

Realistically it could be as simple as watching the iphones sales numbers. If iphone sells mostly 16gb devices then why make anything different

We are not the primary customer, the carrier is.

Yup. Maybe carriers ask for a specific capacity.

We will see larger norms in the future for this reason and because memory prices always drop. Take a look at the desktop/laptop world, a few years ago 1GB RAM was normal, now it's 4GB and costs less.

The first (cheapest) iphone was 4, the iphone 3 and 4 were 8, the 5 is 16. See the trend?

Another plausible explanation?

OEM's may have market research that shows offering higher capacity or higher capacity versions would be less likely to sell than a model set at a particular, but lower capacity. Maybe in their market research, a significant number of potential customers surveyed said they would be 90% more likely to buy the 16GB version of a device vs. a 32GB version of the same device.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone logically explain why all ice-cream cones don't come with 3 scoops? I always want 3 scoops of ice cream, so I think all cones should come with 3 scoops.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Ry,

Please stop the personal attacks. Nobody is right or wrong in this discussion.

You have just repeated the same conjectures, quesses and suppositions. If you have any ACTUAL data, please share. Not what you or others THINK might be the reason, but, as you put it, carrier/manufacturer business justifications. Please note the the IPhone is available in various storage capacities.

Late-night poll: How much internal storage is enough? | Android Central

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much is enough? I'm all in the cloud, and it's too late for me to turn back. I get by fine with 16GB, and could probably never miss a beat with only 8GB. Many of you are the opposite -- don't care for the cloud and want to store their stuff on their device. They need a lot more storage than I do. Where do you fall? Let us know in tonight's poll. - Jerry Hildenbrand

How much internal storage is enough?

8GB or less. Cloud, baby 5.42% (532 votes)
16GB 27.08% (2,657 votes)
32GB 37.35% (3,665 votes)
There is never enough 30.15% (2,959 votes)

Total Votes: 9,813

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If companies made these devices with more memory, with their capabilities and data speeds, they could eliminate the need for laptops and tablets. Therefore they'd have to make us pay significantly more for them as they would lose Money in other areas of their products. A Galaxy Note 2 w/ 16gigs was $249 for a new 2 yr contract agreement, I'm not sure what the price was for the 32 gig if there was one but let's just say it was $349. If that were to be the standard and then it would go up from 32 gigs on up, then How much would a 64 gig device be? Probably too much to even pay as a new customer. Maybe almost what you'd pay full price for the phone now out of contract. For them to add more memory and still make a nice profit, they'd have to kill our pockets to get it. So in order for us not to have to pay the same price as a BMW car note for a phone, we get less internal memory. If 32 gig Note 2's and S3's sold like hot cakes then I'm sure they'd consider making more internal memory the standard but I'm sure the bulk of phones sold last quarter by Samsung were 16 gig models so as a Manufacturer, stick with what sells or get stuck with a loss and in big business, the magic word is always "Profit" $$$

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone logically explain why all ice-cream cones don't come with 3 scoops? I always want 3 scoops of ice cream, so I think all cones should come with 3 scoops.

lol. This is awesome.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry,

Please stop the personal attacks.

If you thought that was a personal attack, report it and move on.

Nobody is right or wrong in this discussion.

Funny you should say that since you seem to think that everybody is wrong in this discussion.

You have just repeated the same conjectures, quesses and suppositions. If you have any ACTUAL data, please share. Not what you or others THINK might be the reason, but, as you put it, carrier/manufacturer business justifications. Please note the the IPhone is available in various storage capacities.

Unless a product manager for one of these OEMs comes out and says exactly why, conjectuers, guesses, and suppositions are all you're going to get. You're looking for something you'll probably never get a definite answer to.

Curious, if a Google representative said "we came out with 8GB/16GB versions of the NExus 4 because we felt that those options would be enough for most consumers", would that be an acceptable answer to you?

Late-night poll: How much internal storage is enough? | Android Central

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much is enough? I'm all in the cloud, and it's too late for me to turn back. I get by fine with 16GB, and could probably never miss a beat with only 8GB. Many of you are the opposite -- don't care for the cloud and want to store their stuff on their device. They need a lot more storage than I do. Where do you fall? Let us know in tonight's poll. - Jerry Hildenbrand

How much internal storage is enough?

8GB or less. Cloud, baby 5.42% (532 votes)
16GB 27.08% (2,657 votes)
32GB 37.35% (3,665 votes)
There is never enough 30.15% (2,959 votes)

Total Votes: 9,813

So you're going to assume a poll on an Android-centric website is a good enough representation of the general buying public? Smells like conjectures, guesses and suppositions by you.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
So you're going to assume a poll on an Android-centric website is a good enough representation of the general buying public? Smells like conjectures, guesses and suppositions by you.

Considering most of the people here are rooted, rommed, everything else, I don't think the poll is anywhere near accurate. Go into your local "insert carrier here" store and ask the same question to anyone butting an android phone, or even an iPhone.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
You guys are all forgetting 1 major thing, Samsung sells memory. Every time they sell a Samsung Micro SD they make more money. I would also guess they the phone company's have some form of agreement with memory makers to NOT make larger devices so that more cards are sold. I for 1 if i had a 64gb device would not had gone out and purchased the additional Samsung micro sd card.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You guys are all forgetting 1 major thing, Samsung sells memory. Every time they sell a Samsung Micro SD they make more money. I would also guess they the phone company's have some form of agreement with memory makers to NOT make larger devices so that more cards are sold. I for 1 if i had a 64gb device would not had gone out and purchased the additional Samsung micro sd card.

Every time they sell a phone (or someone else sells a phone) they make money off of the internal memory too. :D

If the OEMs have some sort of agreement with memory makers, they'd look really foolish if that ever came out as fact.

And thank you for your contribution to this thread. Those reasons you listed could potentially be logical reasons why Samsung and others may scrimp on native memory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan