What OS did you switch from?

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Switched from WP7.5 and the HTC Arrive.

Still new to Droid as I've been a Windows user since the early Windows CE PDA days. I'm not overly impressed with Droid as an OS but I do really appreciate the number of Apps that are out there compared to the newer Windows Phone offerings. There are many that I use regularly now that I'm on Droid that just are not even available in any form or version for Windows. What I miss most, coming over from Windows, is the usable front screen. I wasn't limited to the number of apps I could have and scroll through. I was able to have the most used items on my front screen and easily scroll through to the one I needed at the time. With Droid I am limited to 6 with a Google search bar and Weather widget. All the rest I have to keep flipping through the many windows to get to the one I need.

That is something I learned to deal with. I really appreciate the functional Stylus that I've missed for the lat few years after moving from WM over to WP now that I'm on the Note2. Being able to jot down notes and information without having to type it brings me back to the level of functionality that was lost with the touch screen only days of smartphones. I will continue to go with a stylus based smartphone in the future for as long as one is offered.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Switched from WP7.5 and the HTC Arrive.

Still new to Droid as I've been a Windows user since the early Windows CE PDA days. I'm not overly impressed with Droid as an OS but I do really appreciate the number of Apps that are out there compared to the newer Windows Phone offerings. There are many that I use regularly now that I'm on Droid that just are not even available in any form or version for Windows. What I miss most, coming over from Windows, is the usable front screen. I wasn't limited to the number of apps I could have and scroll through. I was able to have the most used items on my front screen and easily scroll through to the one I needed at the time. With Droid I am limited to 6 with a Google search bar and Weather widget. All the rest I have to keep flipping through the many windows to get to the one I need.

That is something I learned to deal with. I really appreciate the functional Stylus that I've missed for the lat few years after moving from WM over to WP now that I'm on the Note2. Being able to jot down notes and information without having to type it brings me back to the level of functionality that was lost with the touch screen only days of smartphones. I will continue to go with a stylus based smartphone in the future for as long as one is offered.

Hay this is android, you are not limited to any specific layout. You can get rid of the widgets and icons on your home screen by tapping and holding it and then dragging it up to the little trash can. Also, if u want the wp8 start screen you can search windows phone 8 in the play store and download an app called launcher 8. This will replace your current android launcher. And btw, the operating system is not called droid. It is called android. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
There are actually many different launchers to choose from depending on what you like. Some will let you add more icons to the home screens, resize widgets, etc. The amount of flexibility is truly amazing, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Switched from WP7.5 and the HTC Arrive..

When I pull out my Arrive now it looks so tiny, i dont see how I used it for so long. I loved it so much when I got it, and much like you, when I transitioned to Android I was amazed at how much I missed out on while on Windows

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
When I pull out my Arrive now it looks so tiny, i dont see how I used it for so long. I loved it so much when I got it, and much like you, when I transitioned to Android I was amazed at how much I missed out on while on Windows

Haha. Once you go note, you never go back. So how do you feel about android compared to windows phone? Have any preference over the other? Any things you miss from wp? Thanks!

sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Most recently I came from iOS, but I've had Android, WebOS, Palm OS and Blackberry in the past. Just the other day I switched my family and myself from Verizon to Straight Talk. The Note 2 is by far the best Android experience I've had, and you really can't beat the prepaid price. Even though I paid retail for my N2, I'll be saving money in about 8 months!

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Ex apple fan boy, who got very bored of ios and decided to go Android (and bought the amazing Note 2, ofcourse) the second best decision I have made in my life after marrying my wife

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
There are actually many different launchers to choose from depending on what you like. Some will let you add more icons to the home screens, resize widgets, etc. The amount of flexibility is truly amazing, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Yes, therein lies much of my problem is the learning curve. Ive been with Windows for so many years that this is truly a new experience for me. I'm one of those old timers who came up through computers from the days of DOS2.1 and 3.3. I played with UNIX back in the day when things were still a Green or Amber screen and things were written in Hexadecimal. Granted, I was around 10 years old then but I didn't really keep up with it for quite a few years and now face a system and sets of systems I pretty much know nothing about.

I'd like to learn more about all those widgets and such and screen changers that I could use to better organize my apps and such. Truth be known, I really did like how WP allowed them to be laid out on the front screen for easy access. And, the way WP8 now allows it to be done and the resizing of the screens to better fill and use screen space is far better than any other OS out there today. I haven't seen BB10 yet so can't really speak to that one but all the others just aren't intuitive compared to WP.

Again, where Android and iOS shine so well and I love so dearly now is the number of apps they have available and many of them for free. I have yet to not be able to find an app to help me solve a problem I am having when I need it. Compared to Windows Store, they leave a lot to be desired in that comparison. I'm always open to any input and help with the Android OS. With the new Launchers, would I have to jailbreak or root my phone or whatever they call it for Android?

Thanks

Ice6

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Dumb Nokia phones (2 years) > Windows Mobile (1 year) > iOS (3 years) > Android. I don't regret my decision at all. After only 3 days of using it, the note 2 makes my iphone look like a toy in comparison.