SD card problem on Note 2

Hossebosse

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there :) yesterday in the late evening, i heard that my N2 notified me for something, so i checked what it was, and it said that i had to go in to the settings, before i removed my SD card.
the strange thing is that it was in my pocket all the time, with the battery case on, and a silicone cover over that again. so there is no way i accidentally released the SD card.
Now the phone doesn't recognize the SD at all. says that there is nothing in the slot. I've tried to take it out and in, turn on and off the phone (even removed the battery), but still nothing.
So i'm wondering if some1 know what to do/experienced something like this before? transcend 32gb class 4 microsdhc

Last edited by a moderator:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: SD card problem on note 2.

try the card in another phone. try another card in your note. results should tell you if you have a bad phone. good luck.

Hossebosse

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

try the card in another phone. try another card in your note. results should tell you if you have a bad phone. good luck.

It is the SD card :( wich kinda sucks, since i bought it in november, and had just finished downloading almost 3000 songs from spotify :(..
So i'll buy a new one. Any suggest on wich kard? was thinking about buying on ebay, since it's so F**king expensive here in Norway..

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

SanDisk is a big name in sd cards, make good products. I'm still using an 8gb card I was given by a friend 3 years ago

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

SanDisk is a big name in sd cards, make good products. I'm still using an 8gb card I was given by a friend 3 years ago

CAUTION!!!! There is a VERY WELL KNOWN issue with SanDisk cards and newer Samsung phones!!! Your card might not have failed if it was used in another phone... Apparently some compatibility issues with (especially) 32GB and 64GB SD, both Class 4 and 10 cards mostly from SanDisk cause random unmounts/re-mounts (and accompanying battery drains every time the device scans the media for errors); mine just acted up after two months of purchase. If you're lucky, you can still use the card in a computer to back up data, but it may end up entirely fried by the phone.

Most posts I've read recommend Samsung cards (duh!) and A-Data (apparently, the innards are supplied by Sammy). It sucks? Yeah... But it's an issue with Note 2 and S3 phones right now. Again, mostly on SanDisk cards but there have been reports of other brands going kaput, especially 32GB cards. 16GB cards, however, don't seem to have this issue.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

CAUTION!!!! There is a VERY WELL KNOWN issue with SanDisk cards and newer Samsung phones!!! Your card might not have failed if it was used in another phone... Apparently some compatibility issues with (especially) 32GB and 64GB SD, both Class 4 and 10 cards mostly from SanDisk cause random unmounts/re-mounts (and accompanying battery drains every time the device scans the media for errors); mine just acted up after two months of purchase. If you're lucky, you can still use the card in a computer to back up data, but it may end up entirely fried by the phone.

Most posts I've read recommend Samsung cards (duh!) and A-Data (apparently, the innards are supplied by Sammy). It sucks? Yeah... But it's an issue with Note 2 and S3 phones right now. Again, mostly on SanDisk cards but there have been reports of other brands going kaput, especially 32GB cards. 16GB cards, however, don't seem to have this issue.

Mine did go corrupt but I'm sure I was the culprit behind it.... just formatted it and saved all my data back to it... I have a folder on my hdd I sync my phone to weekly.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Dave, I could give you a bunch of links but doing a Google search will serve you better... There's even a SanDisk response somewhere I'll try to look it up... But the problem is real, is mostly on 32GB and up SanDisk and Sammy is NOT recognizing the issue

TJB

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I had the same problem on my Note 2. Scan Disk replaced the 32gb card after I told them I was using it on my Note 2. They new about the problem. I sent the old one back and they sent me a new one. Took about a week.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

See? I'm not making it up :p

TJB, how was the process to get a return? I fear it won't be as easy for me as I'm not in the US :( And I KNOW the retailer will try to weasel out of honoring the warranty since the card can still be read in a computer, I'll just not risk my phone again by putting it back in.
BTW, did you notice any werid behavior in your phone while charging when the issue started? I noticed that mine started acting up at the same time the SD card began to get unmounted: first, plugging it in to charge would suddenly say I was plugging in a dock, which I wasn't... then, I noticed the red LED charging indicator's brightness would randomly fluctuate while charging... I fear the SD card problem is also leading to stray currents within the phone or weird voltage levels and it might, eventually, damage more than just the card.

lgwhitlock

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I was having issues with my 64GB SD card and then I remembered the FAT specification said there was a limit on the number of files that could exist in the root directory of a drive. I moved the files from the root directory to a second directory and now mine is happy and starts up without issue. In fact it's the first time in a long time it started up without a minute or more scan of the 64GB SD card before mounting it. So for those of you having issues give this a try; it just might fix it for you too. Good luck.

Leland
:)

Shea Fam

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

Same problem as OP on Note 3 with a new Lexar 32gb SDHC

Worked fine yesterday after migrating my files from old phone (copied from old card to computer then to new card). Today I received a notification about an unauthorized access to system:
"An application has been forced to stop for an unauthorized attempt to access system in your device"
I couldn't tell which app was responsible; phone appeared to be working okay.

A few hours later SD card showing it wasn't mounted - trying reboot, reinsert, etc... nothing worked I could see all items when read in computer. I compared the content I copied to the card originally. Noticed 2 extra folders which the phone presumably added:
Android and .android_secure (IIRC)
Deleted these from card in computer. Reinserted in phone and it worked again.

Phone has since re-added the Android folder, and SD is still working so far.

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I keep getting a message that my sd card is damaged and it suggests to reformat. However, it still seems to be working fine. I have come across this issue in several forums so it is a known issue as posted above

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If you keep getting that message I STORNGLY suggest you either get a new card or stop using that one in your phone. A few reasons:
1) It's a HUGE battery drain. Every time you get that message and the card unmounts and then remounts itself, the system scans it. The more files you have in it the more time the scan lasts. And this happens multiple times during the day, even when you don't see the message happening while your screen is off. With time, these unmounts will happen more often and your battery will take the toll.
2) Your card is already failing. Don't risk losing important data like your vacation pictures or that 'Big Foot' photo you only snapped once or be cut off mid-video because your card decided to fail (and trust me, the part you thought you had already recorded will NOT be there). In time, even files that were already there will begin to show corruption.
3) Your system will start lagging and behaving incorrectly. Some apps will store data on the SD card if available. When your card unmounts, this data becomes unavailable and more often than not, when it re-mounts, the apps don't see the data is back. This, of course, causes strange stuff and crashes. You'll be forced to reboot more often.

Just a suggestion, but one that I can tell you from personal experience is very worth taking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude