Instructions on using DLNA? It doesn't work.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got a new Panasonic TV which I linked in to my home WiFi. It has YouTube on it, and it gave an option to sync my phone with the TV YouTube app, which I did. That worked to let me find and start a YouTube video on my phone, which would then play on the TV. I did nothing else (not knowingly, anyway) to connect my phone to TV. I was very surprised later when I started playing music on my phone through the stock music player, and it came up automatically on the TV and through its sound system. I checked and this also worked with the stock video player, and with the stock photo gallery. I have no idea whether this is "dnla" (about which I know nothing) or some other connection method, but I was pleased to be able to show photos and videos on the big screen, and pump music through that sound system. Got lucky, I guess.

Ya my Sony tv also has YouTube app amd I can connect my youtube accnt from my Note2 to my tv, just like you. And I can also stream pics and music using the stock apps.
But streaming videis directly from Note2 to my tv, some reason it won't work.
When you stream your videos to your tv, do you stream it directly to your tv or do you go through a player, PS3 or Xbox???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, direct to TV.

Edit to add: Got home and checked, it shows on my TV as a dnla connection. Not all of the .mp4 videos on my phone will play on my TV (I think I've created or converted them using a variety of software and settings over some years), but in that case the TV still gets the signal from my phone, shows the name of the video file, and gives a message "Cannot Read File."

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I assume its because not all video file typed are created equal. Such as different bitrates and different audio codecs from within the video file.

I still have not found one single video that I couldn't play through dlna and Xbox 360. Can't get the ps3 to play any vids though.
Sent via Tapatalk

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I assume its because not all video file typed are created equal. Such as different bitrates and different audio codecs from within the video file.

I still have not found one single video that I couldn't play through dlna and Xbox 360. Can't get the ps3 to play any vids though.
Sent via Tapatalk

in PS3!!! Pissing me off!

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
dodong27

On the PS3 you can only use the PS3 to remotely play videos from the Note 2 (ie you can browse the media files on the Note 2 and play them from a PS3 remote). You cannot use the Note 2 to directly play/control videos on the PS3. From your pic on post #29 it seems like thats what you are trying to do. From the pic I am almost positive that it is not the PS3 you are connected to. You are probably connected to your tv or a blu-ray player (that is connected to your home network). Both of these products would be able to play pictures easily but would not be able to play most or any digital video formats.

Try this.
Unplug your PS3. If you still see the "1" on the upper left corner of your Note 2 video player you will know that it is not the PS3 you are connected to.

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Have to tried plugging your phone into the ps3 usb ports.... Or you could try the super awesome xbox 360

Sent via Tapatalk

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Have to tried plugging your phone into the ps3 usb ports.... Or you could try the super awesome xbox 360

Sent via Tapatalk
That's no longer an option. All newer Samsung phones uses MTP protocols which is unrecognizable to all but computers. Boy I hate this protocol with a passion.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Sent via Tapatalk

I did plug my Note2 into the ps3 usb port andnit doesn't recognize my Note2..?

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
dodong27

On the PS3 you can only use the PS3 to remotely play videos from the Note 2 (ie you can browse the media files on the Note 2 and play them from a PS3 remote). You cannot use the Note 2 to directly play/control videos on the PS3. From your pic on post #29 it seems like thats what you are trying to do. From the pic I am almost positive that it is not the PS3 you are connected to. You are probably connected to your tv or a blu-ray player (that is connected to your home network). Both of these products would be able to play pictures easily but would not be able to play most or any digital video formats.

Try this.
Unplug your PS3. If you still see the "1" on the upper left corner of your Note 2 video player you will know that it is not the PS3 you are connected to.

Cool, I will try this and see. I'll let you know...