Photo Sync App Recommendations?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I currently backup photos and videos taken with my smartphone by taking out the SD card, putting it in a card reader on my computer, and using the windows import option to download all new photos and videos to My Pictures folder on the computer with a folder for each date.

I'm looking for an app (don't mind paying for a good one) that can do this automatically. I have a wireless network at home and the computer is Win7 and has the destination folder shared on the network. Ideally, I could set a schedule (say daily at 3am or something) to do this in the background. If at all possible, I'd like it to keep the current import naming and folder creation the same (preserve original filename and create a folder for each date with format "YYYY-MM-DD".

Does anyone know or use an app that could handle such a task? I greatly appreciate any recommendations!

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Get Dropbox. It's free, and it will do this automatically. It has an added bonus that it will aslo back up your photos to the cloud. It renames the pictures with T/D information, but it puts them all in one directory.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Get Dropbox. It's free, and it will do this automatically. It has an added bonus that it will aslo back up your photos to the cloud. It renames the pictures with T/D information, but it puts them all in one directory.

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I'd really like something to make use of my local physical backup (computer) instead of the cloud. To update this thread, here are I couple things I have found:

1.Sweet Home WiFi Picture Backup -- Seems *ideal* for what I want. It imports all pictures to my computer's shared folder and has options for creating subdirectories just like I want. All that said I can't seem to get it to work. It is having trouble accessing my shared folder. I can see and connect to my networked PC, I can see my shared folder and contents, but for some reason the app is unable to upload to the folder. I've emailed the developer for help but if anyone here has experience with this, I'd really appreciate any assistance.

2. SyncMe Wireless -- More general use sync'ing (not just photos). This app has no issues connecting to and uploading photos to my PC's shared folder. However, it does not support creating subdirectories like I need. I must give props to the developer here, I emailed him last night at 10pm or so and he emailed me back within an hour. Apparently it can create sub-directories, but only if sync'ing photos from the internal memory on the Note 2, not if you store the photos on the SD card.... deal breaker, but a cool sync'ing app nonetheless.

Any other suggestions?

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I would still suggest Dropbox. You just set your phone to instant upload with the Dropbox app. Then you install Dropbox on your computer. Depending on your settings for instant upload (wifi only or cell upload) within a minute of taking a picture, it is also on your desktop in that Dropbox folder. You can then move them to another folder, organize, etc, if desired. The newest Dropbox app let's you set up albums, but I haven't used that feature.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
hmm... I didn't realize it would also download instantly to the PC. I'm really trying to avoid having to do any file management though. My wife takes tons of photos of our son. Right now, taking out the SD card from her phone every once in awhile and importing is a pain, but the file management on the PC is automatic. I just plug it in, come back later and take it out and everything is where I want it.

Having to manage the files manually sounds like more of a pain than manually downloading physically versus wirelessly.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Having to manage the files manually sounds like more of a pain than manually downloading physically versus wirelessly.

I think you are only saying this because you arn't yet clear on what dropbox will do for you.

Right now, when you want to get the picture off your camera, you

1) Take out the SD card and insert in into your computer
2) Point some sort of import program at the folder on the SD card and have it import into directories.
3) Put the SD card back into the phone.

Dropbox will automatically upload your pictures to the cloud and then download them to your computer. At that point, your process becomes:

1) Point some sort of import program at the Dropbox Camera Import folder and have it import into directories.

Or, set up your import program to run every day at 3AM or whenever photos show in in the dropbox folder, and then the process becomes:

1)

Its hard to imagine another process being easier then that.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
1) Point some sort of import program at the Dropbox Camera Import folder and have it import into directories.

Or, set up your import program to run every day at 3AM or whenever photos show in in the dropbox folder, and then the process becomes:

I'm not so sure that is possible though. I don't use some sort of program. When I put the sd card into the reader, windows detects it and has a built-in import tool than imports all of the new pictures into my pictures folders and creates dated folders.

I thought it would be easier to find an android app to do everything for me at once (and one seems to if I could get it to work properly). Finding programs on Windows (to work in conjuction with Dropbox) seems more difficult than finding apps for Android. But maybe I am mistaken.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought it would be easier to find an android app to do everything for me at once (and one seems to if I could get it to work properly). Finding programs on Windows (to work in conjuction with Dropbox) seems more difficult than finding apps for Android. But maybe I am mistaken.

I use Lightroom which will actually watch the camera upload folder for new pictures and then automatically copy,rename and orginize them. Check whatever program you use to edit your pictures. Many of them have an import option as well.

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Dropbox works well even for temporary storage. I had a few photos to send my wife and it was quicker to share to dropbox and access it on my desktop. Moved the photos out of the dropbox folder and to my archive photo folder. Way faster than connecting the usb cable and using Kies to save the photos.