Best Battery Practice

glaustin

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys
As my GN2 is only a few days old, I wonder what is the best practice with charging the battery? I used to leave my last phone (Nokia) on charge overnight and it caused no end of battery problems (swollen battery, wouldn't hold a charge, dropped off after a couple of minutes talking, etc) and I want to avoid that with this pristine new baby.

Regards,
Graham

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine overnight every night and I have no issues. I need my phone all day the next day and I don't want to have to think about the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys
As my GN2 is only a few days old, I wonder what is the best practice with charging the battery? I used to leave my last phone (Nokia) on charge overnight and it caused no end of battery problems (swollen battery, wouldn't hold a charge, dropped off after a couple of minutes talking, etc) and I want to avoid that with this pristine new baby.

Regards,
Graham

Don't really need any with these new batteries. They have no memory so u can really charge it whenever and however. I'm not saying leave it on the charger for 10 days. Most people I know charge every night while sleeping.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

glaustin

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys
FYI, I contacted Samsung as well and this is their response about best battery practice:

"...in order to prolong the battery life you should allow the battery to drain as low as possible before charging and where possible, to remove from the charger as soon as full.

All batteries have a life span of a certain amount of charges. One of these charges is 'used up' when the battery is charged, no matter how long it has been on charge for. Therefore we would advise only charging when neccessary and to only remove from charge when it has reached 100%..."

Hope this helps.
Graham

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
With how cheap the Note 2 batteries can be purchased and the fact the nfc was moved to the case, it really doesn't seem to be worth the concern.

Use during the day, charge as necessary and overnight.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
With how cheap the Note 2 batteries can be purchased and the fact the nfc was moved to the case, it really doesn't seem to be worth the concern.

Use during the day, charge as necessary and overnight.

Exactly.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys
FYI, I contacted Samsung as well and this is their response about best battery practice:

"...in order to prolong the battery life you should allow the battery to drain as low as possible before charging and where possible, to remove from the charger as soon as full.

All batteries have a life span of a certain amount of charges. One of these charges is 'used up' when the battery is charged, no matter how long it has been on charge for. Therefore we would advise only charging when neccessary and to only remove from charge when it has reached 100%..."

Hope this helps.
Graham

This sounds like very poor advice. Excerpts from an ArsTechnica article on lithium-ion battery care:

One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise? running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan, and should probably work some charging stations into your day or change your devices' settings so that it's not churning through its battery so quickly.

and

One common misconception is that Li-ion batteries will only count charge cycles if the battery is drained completely in one session; another is that the battery counts one charge cycle for every instance the device is unplugged and plugged in again. Neither of these is true?Li-ion batteries actually count charge cycles based on a 100 percent discharge even when it's summed over multiple sessions. For example, if you discharge a battery to 50 percent one day, charge it back to 100 percent, then discharge it 50 percent again the next day, that is counted as one "cycle" of the battery. So shallow discharges, in all these regards, are ideal for a Li-ion battery.

I generally try plugging in the phone when it's around 20-40%. I used to keep it on the charger overnight, but with how fast the GN2 charger is, and how little battery it uses on idle, I can usually have the phone up to a full charge by the time I go to sleep, so I'll just unplug it, and typically be at 96% the next morning (and I don't top it up -- no need, and it shortens the life of the battery to keep it at full charge).

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like very poor advice. Excerpts from an ArsTechnica article on lithium-ion battery care:

and

I generally try plugging in the phone when it's around 20-40%. I used to keep it on the charger overnight, but with how fast the GN2 charger is, and how little battery it uses on idle, I can usually have the phone up to a full charge by the time I go to sleep, so I'll just unplug it, and typically be at 96% the next morning (and I don't top it up -- no need, and it shortens the life of the battery to keep it at full charge).

To back this up:last night I was helping my brother with his 6 year old Macbook. The battery is not holding a good charge anymore so I helped him find a good replacement on ebay. When I looked at the battery stats it showed 348 charge cycles over a 6 year period. These are also li-ion batteries and measured the same way. As stated above only full charges from 100% to 0% are counted as a full charge.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Only half of that response from Samsung is sound advice, and that is the part where they tell you to unplug it as soon as it hits 100%. You do not want to discharge the battery to 0% ever. 20% should be the absolute bottom line of how low you let it go.

Essentially, the bigger the discharge the more harsh it is on the cells. A charge from 50% to 100% is 3x better for the battery than a charge from 0% to 100%.

You want to definitely unplug the phone as soon as the LED goes Green indicating full charge. I have data on my device itself that shows how the voltage of the battery takes a nasty dip if I leave it plugged in overnight sitting at 100% for hours versus unplugging it as soon as it hits 100%. The difference is nearly 120mv. Don't leave it plugged in if you can help it.

And for anyone suggesting buying a cheap knockoff battery that goes for anything less than $20, you're getting what you pay for. BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims! has tons of data to show how you buy a cheapo junk battery and you are losing up to 50% of the rated capacity. Always buy OEM, which is always expensive. Furthermore on this topic of cheap batteries please see this XDA thread that I bookmarked not too long ago discussing this exact issue of ultra cheap knock off batteries: Fake samsung battery info - xda-developers

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Not all cheap batteries are bad. You just have to do a little due diligence and some research. Always buying OEM blindly is a good way to spend more than you need to.

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Not all cheap batteries are bad. You just have to do a little due diligence and some research. Always buying OEM blindly is a good way to spend more than you need to.

I agree and also recommend that purchasers look for good solid informative reviews and not base purchasing decisions on the "feel good" un-quantifiable reviews generally seen on Amazon or Ebay. I looked here before buying mine.

Batteries Archives - Battery analysis and reviews

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy