Will Overclocking Affect Anything?

MHH779

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone..

I have got a ROM called SlimBean (which pretty awesome!), and I got an option for overclocking my CPU to 1800MHz ,
So my question, will it negatively affect the CPU or any hardware part?

My ROM performance became better but I want the disadvantages of this overclocking , anyone has idea?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Loss of lifespan. When you overclock a chip, it increases the voltage running through it, as well as the heat produced by the processor. The net result is loss of life span depending on the amount of boost you give to the chip.
As an aside, you'll probably get a better tangible performance boost from overclocking current cups than you will from 8 core chips coming soon. At least in the short term.
If you only plan on keeping your device for a year or less, go ahead and give it a boost. If you're doing the two year contract thing, play it safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
With the note 2 you can actually under volt a bit when over clocking and it runs fine. My cousin did it with his

sent from Galaxy Note 2

MHH779

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I have checked the mV thing, the 1600MHz uses 1313 mV, while the 1800MHz uses1400mV, I guess that's really not a big of difference.. But does it make any difference?

And I have reduced the mV from 1400 to 1313, does that makes any difference..

Yes I'm planning on keeping the phone more than 2 years..and no contract thing

MHH779

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
one thing, the iPhone has duel core (not quad core) and performs at 1.3GHz! While on galaxy s3 it has quad cored and performs at 1.3GHz, isn't that weird.. And also the note 2 has a quad cored and barely faster than iPhone just by 300MHz.. So I think over clocking wouldn't hurt the phone.. I guess this phone should be able to perform at 2GHz fine without any problems.. What do you think all of you?

SumthinNew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
one thing, the iPhone has duel core (not quad core) and performs at 1.3GHz! While on galaxy s3 it has quad cored and performs at 1.3GHz, isn't that weird.. And also the note 2 has a quad cored and barely faster than iPhone just by 300MHz.. So I think over clocking wouldn't hurt the phone.. I guess this phone should be able to perform at 2GHz fine without any problems.. What do you think all of you?

I don't see any problems, as the Canadian S3 model is running higher at 1.5Ghz on a dual core S4 chip.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

US GS3 is NOT quad-core. ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Most have gotten away with overclocking their phones slightly and even to extreme conditions but just like tricking out your engine on your car it will eventually reduce the overall lifespan on the device.. It creates more heat than is anticipated, more wear on the processor and alike components.

In many circumstances is the result of random boot loops and other strange events because the device is being pushed beyond it normal limits and does/will become unstable at some point.

The most common side effect of it is horrible battery life. Battery life is already a first priority on everyone's device then when you overclock even if you play with voltages it still gobbles down battery.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If you're not concerned about battery life and/or got lots of battery spares laying around, by all means, overclock it. But like most said, it will also shorten your device's life span.

MHH779

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Note 2 processor is made for 1800MHz and samsung reduced it to 1600MHz,.. Also the ROM I'm using is pretty much made to work with this 1800MHz also i tested the stability for 20 min and i didnt get any error.. For battery life, im 80% of the time next to a charger, and when i need to use the battery as of outside, i could just return it to 1600MHz or even lower..

Anyways, everyone is saying its a bad idea.. Ill just stay on 1600MHz :/

- - - Updated - - -

US GS3 is NOT quad-core. ;)

International version :p

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Note 2 processor is made for 1800MHz and samsung reduced it to 1600MHz,.. Also the ROM I'm using is pretty much made to work with this 1800MHz also i tested the stability for 20 min and i didnt get any error.. For battery life, im 80% of the time next to a charger, and when i need to use the battery as of outside, i could just return it to 1600MHz or even lower..

Anyways, everyone is saying its a bad idea.. Ill just stay on 1600MHz :/

- - - Updated - - -

International version :p

:D:p

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon