Battery dropping 15-20% overnight

cvail

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I am stumped on what is going on with my battery consumption. I regularly drop 15-20% over 8-9 hours overnight (100% charge, fresh reboot so no apps should be running) when the phone should just be sitting in standby. I've factory reset it a few times and tried watching the power consumption as I add back in apps. The weird thing is that it appears to consume less battery (1%/hour) sitting in standby during the day (I'm at 3 hours now at noon with basically no usage, at 98%) vs. the overnight 2-3%/hour drain.

I've been looking at the battery and GSAM stats and nothing stands out to me. Here's one of my recent overnights (after I had added back some apps), before my last couple of factory resets:

Battery%20monitor-L.jpg
GSAM-L.jpg

I'm on 4.1.2 stock, AT&T.

Any ideas of where to look or what to do? It is so weird that it appears to be something just happening overnight and not during the day.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Go to application manager and look at running apps and cached apps. This will show you apps and how long they have been running. From your pics it looks like android system apps are the culprit. Gsam will not go into detail what specifically in the system is the culprit. This is why you must use what is built into the phone for troubleshooting.

BTW my father had the same issue and it was something related to att bloatware.

Sent via Tapatalk

runamonk

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I had this same issue. It was the location services for google maps that caused it. Settings > Accounts | Google > Maps & Latitude: Change location reporting to Do not update your location.

cvail

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Go to application manager and look at running apps and cached apps. This will show you apps and how long they have been running. From your pics it looks like android system apps are the culprit. Gsam will not go into detail what specifically in the system is the culprit. This is why you must use what is built into the phone for troubleshooting.

BTW my father had the same issue and it was something related to att bloatware.

Sent via Tapatalk

I disabled a few of the AT&T apps (locker, something else). I do see a number of apps that have been running for a while, and of course there are a ton of cached apps. But I don't know what's being a hog and what isn't (and why they only appear to hog power at night and not during the day). Is there any rhyme or reason to the order they're listed (it doesn't appear to be alphabetic, by time, or by size)?

I had this same issue. It was the location services for google maps that caused it. Settings > Accounts | Google > Maps & Latitude: Change location reporting to Do not update your location.

I've had location services off, so unfortunately I don't think that's the culprit.