Looking for Unique Uses for the Note 2

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a fun conversation here about using the Note 2 alongside my daily drivers of an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I'm not trying to justify the purchase, I just love seeing everyone's different uses. I'm a lover of all tech, first and foremost. I could've used my list of past devices to prove to my doctor I have ADHD. :) I think a lot of us in the Mobile Nations community fall into the "love all gadgets" category and I've never received anything but useful information from everyone here, on iMore, CrackBerry and WP Central. I have to admit I'm an Apple first kind of guy. I have nothing against any other ecosystem, iOS just works best for me in my daily life. I started with BlackBerry and I've had 4 or 5 of their phones, a Samsung Focus to try out WP for a month or so and I absolutely loved my Nexus One, HTC One X and Nexus 7. Android is without a doubt my second love.

Now that my background is out of the way, I've had my eye on the Note 2 for a long time. There's definitely room in my life for the Note 2 and I see myself actually keeping it rather than selling it after a few months, but I wanted to come here to get an even better idea of some of the uses you owners have found for it. I don't see myself getting rid of either of my iOS devices but there are times (and this certainly falls into the category of "first world problems") where I don't feel like taking out the full-size iPad but the iPhone 5 is just a bit too small. So what have you found are some great things you can do with the Note 2? Anything that amazed you and made you think, "Wow, this is a great device!" I know you could just say, "Buy it and use it, you'll see," but like I said, let's have some fun and share some of your truly great experiences. :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a fun conversation here about using the Note 2 alongside my daily drivers of an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I'm not trying to justify the purchase, I just love seeing everyone's different uses. I'm a lover of all tech, first and foremost. I could've used my list of past devices to prove to my doctor I have ADHD. :) I think a lot of us in the Mobile Nations community fall into the "love all gadgets" category and I've never received anything but useful information from everyone here, on iMore, CrackBerry and WP Central. I have to admit I'm an Apple first kind of guy. I have nothing against any other ecosystem, iOS just works best for me in my daily life. I started with BlackBerry and I've had 4 or 5 of their phones, a Samsung Focus to try out WP for a month or so and I absolutely loved my Nexus One, HTC One X and Nexus 7. Android is without a doubt my second love.

Now that my background is out of the way, I've had my eye on the Note 2 for a long time. There's definitely room in my life for the Note 2 and I see myself actually keeping it rather than selling it after a few months, but I wanted to come here to get an even better idea of some of the uses you owners have found for it. I don't see myself getting rid of either of my iOS devices but there are times (and this certainly falls into the category of "first world problems") where I don't feel like taking out the full-size iPad but the iPhone 5 is just a bit too small. So what have you found are some great things you can do with the Note 2? Anything that amazed you and made you think, "Wow, this is a great device!" I know you could just say, "Buy it and use it, you'll see," but like I said, let's have some fun and share some of your truly great experiences. :)

My favorite use by far is the ability to watch Netflix or hulu while surfing the forums, texting, looking things up on the internet or whatever else function i choose to do. No other device that i have had is able to do that.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am not a movie watcher on my phone. But I like being able to do more with having multi window. My music sounds awesome on it with or without using my jawbone jambox. The spen is a great addition. This device does it all.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My favorite use by far is the ability to watch Netflix or hulu while surfing the forums, texting, looking things up on the internet or whatever else function i choose to do. No other device that i have had is able to do that.
How do you watch Netflix on multi-window? Are you rooted? I'm not, and having Multi-Window enabled and Netflix installed, it does NOT appear in the 'official' list...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How do you watch Netflix on multi-window? Are you rooted? I'm not, and having Multi-Window enabled and Netflix installed, it does NOT appear in the 'official' list...

Yes I'm rooted, and use the Multi-Window control app. Netflix has not udated their app to work with multi-Window. You should contact them and encourage it.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, does this Multi-Window really work for all apps? Do they work well? THIS might just be the thing I need to get root and risk voiding my warranty (I'm a bit paranoid, I've gone through 2 GSII's and 2 GNote2's already because of manufacturing issues...hehe)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So, does this Multi-Window really work for all apps? Do they work well? THIS might just be the thing I need to get root and risk voiding my warranty (I'm a bit paranoid, I've gone through 2 GSII's and 2 GNote2's already because of manufacturing issues...hehe)

You need root to get the control app to work.
I think there is a couple apps that don't work like games because the app needs to be set up for different sizes. Also some apps work but not well like dead trigger since you rely on the screen to control it.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Great!!! Do you use Whatsapp? Can you confirm it works in MultiWindow? And I know this is off-topic maybe, but if I root, will I still get pushed updates from Samsung? I know some apps restrict use if you're rooted but I can't remember if updates apply only if, besides root, you load a different ROM...

padre1357

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I know I can do it on my computer, but I'm using my note2 to keep track of all my contacts and expenses once I get back to building my 51 Dodge into a nice sled.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Great!!! Do you use Whatsapp? Can you confirm it works in MultiWindow? And I know this is off-topic maybe, but if I root, will I still get pushed updates from Samsung? I know some apps restrict use if you're rooted but I can't remember if updates apply only if, besides root, you load a different ROM...

Samsung doesn't send updates directly. Your carrier sends updates. And updates will go out to all phones that are running the carrier update software including rooted ones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung doesn't send updates directly. Your carrier sends updates. And updates will go out to all phones that are running the carrier update software including rooted ones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Ummm... wrong. Carrier updates are only sent by the Carrier IF the phone was purchased through them (or if running a Carrier-branded ROM). Phones that are factory-unlocked are Carrier-free and only receive updates directly from Samsung once they are released (unless you're not using a stock ROM), just like Nexus devices receive updates directly from Google and iDevices do from Apple.

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine has iPhone 5
who can send Videos without editing them,
i guess it has a builtin software to Auto compress videos before sending on WHATSAPP

does Android have any such software Free/Paid on Google play store
or Samsung has any such software too ?

Thanks

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This is as unique as it gets. In the app smart compass pro there is a metal detector. At first I thought it was just a joke type thing but it works. Tells you composition of metal and everything. I was blown away.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm using it to replace paper. It works well in meetings and to jot quick notes. I'm the only person at my employer who doesn't carry a pen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine has iPhone 5
who can send Videos without editing them,
i guess it has a builtin software to Auto compress videos before sending on WHATSAPP

does Android have any such software Free/Paid on Google play store
or Samsung has any such software too ?

Thanks

I have done it before using s-beam, and it can also be done via wifi direct. It is pretty fast, I sent a 150mb file in a minute or two. Note that both devices would have to support either s-beam or wifi direct.

S-beam is pretty cool, you can just have the video open on screen, then tap the two devices together, then tap the screen to beam.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I find it quite good just to browse the net while watching videos on youtube, also the s-pen is great for noting things quickly cause you can have the notepad open when you take the pen out. Plus its great to just browse the net with.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You should try the super cool slow motion video recording. Its built in to the video camera. 1/8 speed is my fav, just made a recording of the rain here and slow enough to see the splashes from the rain hitting the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34