Must Player Recommendations

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
What's a good music player on Android?

The Samsung music player is decent, but I like viewing by Artist and then by Album, however when viewing by Artist you can't have albums repeat because it's basically one giant list.

This has lead me to search for other music players. I've tried WinAmp, which I actually really like, but today was my first full day of listening and songs started skipping. Really annoying to have songs skip audio while playing like it's an old CD player. I've read up on this issue and apparently it's due to the CPU clocking down too low and not enough CPU to power the music properly. I might be wrong, but I do know I'm experiencing this and it sure was annoying.

What player do you use to play your music? Does it skip? I listen to music all day on my phone so I desperately need a good player.

Tokio_Love

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I like rocket music player, when you put buds in it immediately starts playing. The free version is limited but it does what you want and you can search through songs.

I like sensor music player for when im driving or working out, wave your hand over the phone and it skips, go back, pause. Very useful when you're on the busy interstate and can't be looking down

have you heard about the GN2, yea it's awesome (^-^)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I really don't use it, but I've heard DoubleTwist is really good (iTunes replacement, some call it... that would only discourage ME IMHO :p). I stream most of my music, so the Spotify player is all I can use in my phone (even if I want to play 'offline' files, otherwise I'd lose the ability to mix streamed songs with local ones).

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the recommendations. Going to try and use them all and see which one is the best that suits my needs. So far I used PowerAmp and DoubleTwist today.

Going to try and split them up half and half. Both were good and had what I needed, but DoubleTwist had a few quirks I didn't like. I definitely do like all the options and customization PowerAmp offers. We'll see how the others compare in the upcoming days, but PowerAmp seems like an instant top candidate.

Tomorrow I'll be trying Rocket Music Player and PlayerPro. PlayerPro does look real nice so might be another good choice. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the recommendations. Going to try and use them all and see which one is the best that suits my needs. So far I used PowerAmp and DoubleTwist today.

Going to try and split them up half and half. Both were good and had what I needed, but DoubleTwist had a few quirks I didn't like. I definitely do like all the options and customization PowerAmp offers. We'll see how the others compare in the upcoming days, but PowerAmp seems like an instant top candidate.

Tomorrow I'll be trying Rocket Music Player and PlayerPro. PlayerPro does look real nice so might be another good choice. :)

Be sure to download the DSP pack and enable it for PlayerPro. This allows you to mix the sound like PowerAmp.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a download as well. I usually don't fool around with the DSP/equalizer, but when trying out players gotta give everything a go. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a download as well. I usually don't fool around with the DSP/equalizer, but when trying out players gotta give everything a go. :)

I don't either but figured I'd mention it.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Well it seems I'll be sticking with PowerAmp, I hope. Both Rocket Music Player and Player Pro did skipping. I liked Player Pro a lot more than PowerAmp, but I couldn't find any settings to prevent audio skip like within PowerAmp so unfortunately it's a no go.

The other unfortunate issue is when I went back to PowerAmp, it skipped too. It was on default settings so I enabled the two audio skipping features so hopefully it goes smoother tomorrow. Definitely disappointed right now that it's struggling with audio.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well it seems I'll be sticking with PowerAmp, I hope. Both Rocket Music Player and Player Pro did skipping. I liked Player Pro a lot more than PowerAmp, but I couldn't find any settings to prevent audio skip like within PowerAmp so unfortunately it's a no go.

The other unfortunate issue is when I went back to PowerAmp, it skipped too. It was on default settings so I enabled the two audio skipping features so hopefully it goes smoother tomorrow. Definitely disappointed right now that it's struggling with audio.

Skipping as in the audio cut in and out? That's strange. I've used PlayerPro on an HTC Thunderbolt, RAZR, RAZR Maxx HD, and Note II and have yet to experience this.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Skipping as in the audio cut in and out? That's strange. I've used PlayerPro on an HTC Thunderbolt, RAZR, RAZR Maxx HD, and Note II and have yet to experience this.

Yup, if you ever used a CD player back in the day, exactly like if you hit a bump. The audio will skip in and out, sound muffled kind of while it tries to read in all the data, but struggles to. It basically chocks, it hits a point where it needs more data to continue playing, but that data isn't available as the clocked down CPU plus other processes requesting the CPU are in the way.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yup, if you ever used a CD player back in the day, exactly like if you hit a bump. The audio will skip in and out, sound muffled kind of while it tries to read in all the data, but struggles to. It basically chocks, it hits a point where it needs more data to continue playing, but that data isn't available as the clocked down CPU plus other processes requesting the CPU are in the way.

Maybe a SD card issue or maybe do a factory reset? Does this happen while using the stock media player? I have never had this issue with any music player on any phone.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a SD card issue or maybe do a factory reset? Does this happen while using the stock media player? I have never had this issue with any music player on any phone.

Happens on both internal storage and my SD card, so don't think it's the card. I probably will have to do a factory reset, but I'm hoping the options in PowerAmp will save me. Will find out soon enough, but I really don't want to factory reset, especially when I see other people with the issue. Takes a full day for me to reset and get my phone back in working condition with all my media, apps, settings, etc.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Happens on both internal storage and my SD card, so don't think it's the card. I probably will have to do a factory reset, but I'm hoping the options in PowerAmp will save me. Will find out soon enough, but I really don't want to factory reset, especially when I see other people with the issue. Takes a full day for me to reset and get my phone back in working condition with all my media, apps, settings, etc.

How about the stock music player? Your issue seems hardware related of you cant solve it with the last resort reset. And with my nightmare on CLNR I would never recommend.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Try disabling the Music FX application in the settings menu.

SETTINGS. APPS. ALL. MUSIC FX. DISABLE

Some have reported this as a cause on other Samsung devices.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
How about the stock music player? Your issue seems hardware related of you cant solve it with the last resort reset. And with my nightmare on CLNR I would never recommend.

It happens with the stock player as well, pretty much every music player I've tried so far. I reboot my device every day as I switch to my old phone for gym purposes as I don't want my Note II getting sweaty. So it can't be anything like the memory being full. Just looking at my memory usage now is good so really don't think it's that.

Seeing your thread with returning devices, I definitely won't be returning mine at all. Risk is too high and I'm a stickler for any little knick on my devices.

Try disabling the Music FX application in the settings menu.

SETTINGS. APPS. ALL. MUSIC FX. DISABLE

Some have reported this as a cause on other Samsung devices.

Hmm, wonder if that's the cause? I don't use the equalizer at all so should be safe to disable. I'll see how that goes, hopefully well.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Try it out and report back. I'll look for more options if that fails because like you I'm a stickler for things. I'll admit it one little flaw sends me into a frenzy. I hate scratches- even tiny ones.

Have you tried music that's never been on an iPhone? Maybe conversion went bad?

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Try it out and report back. I'll look for more options if that fails because like you I'm a stickler for things. I'll admit it one little flaw sends me into a frenzy. I hate scratches- even tiny ones.

Yup, even the tiny ones drive me insane. When I got my Note II I didn't even use it for a week until my shield came in so I could protect it. :p

I listen to music pretty much 90% of the time I'm at work so it's definitely a good 6-7hrs. It's what gives me a good timetable to test the apps recommended and also the solutions. So I'll report back tomorrow after work with the results.

I'll be putting my PowerAmp back to default so I can just test the MusicFX and if that doesn't work I'll try a combination of PowerAmp settings with the MusicFX disabled.