I have the worst luck with CLNR

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had to have my Note II replaced after a recent security update kept forcing my phone to reboot. The replacement came in and like another user here the bezel has begun to pull away. Verizon sent me a replacement for this so it didn't get worse and it was totally their call. The replacement arrived and there are scratches all over the chrome looking bezel. Even one you can see in the following image. You can feel this as its all the way through the chrome and under the Verizon logo. There's more like this so keep in kind its only a sample.

After I got this I called without activating sending them the images. They wanted to send a replacement rather than notate the account. Replacement arrives today and all is good. Except 4 hours after activation when I'm making a call the phone turns off. Won't turn on. Pulled battery and tried again with no luck. Put battery in old phone and it worked. So after thirty minutes I got phone back on. But now I can't make any calls as it says dialing than quits and texts won't come or send. Remove SIM and place in old phone and calls work fine. Switch back and no go. Master resets and nothing helps.

Another phone is on the way. I'm tired of this. The damage is all around phone and image shows one chip. Its worse than camera looks. Under VZW button and kooks white from the flash.

Any idea why a phone would turn off, take forever to turn on, than not make or receive calls? Internet and 4G worked though. And yes I know I'm picky about device condition but a replacement should not look as if a knife drilled into it once much less multiple times. I just can't believe I can't make or receive calls and texts on that device after it randomly turned off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360730842394.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360730842394.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had to have my Note II replaced after a recent security update kept forcing my phone to reboot. The replacement came in and like another user here the bezel has begun to pull away. Verizon sent me a replacement for this so it didn't get worse and it was totally their call. The replacement arrived and there are scratches all over the chrome looking bezel. Even one you can see in the following image. You can feel this as its all the way through the chrome and under the Verizon logo. There's more like this so keep in kind its only a sample.

After I got this I called without activating sending them the images. They wanted to send a replacement rather than notate the account. Replacement arrives today and all is good. Except 4 hours after activation when I'm making a call the phone turns off. Won't turn on. Pulled battery and tried again with no luck. Put battery in old phone and it worked. So after thirty minutes I got phone back on. But now I can't make any calls as it says dialing than quits and texts won't come or send. Remove SIM and place in old phone and calls work fine. Switch back and no go. Master resets and nothing helps.

Another phone is on the way. I'm tired of this. The damage is all around phone and image shows one chip. Its worse than camera looks. Under VZW button and kooks white from the flash.

Any idea why a phone would turn off, take forever to turn on, than not make or receive calls? Internet and 4G worked though. And yes I know I'm picky about device condition but a replacement should not look as if a knife drilled into it once much less multiple times. I just can't believe I can't make or receive calls and texts on that device after it randomly turned off.

wow you are having super bad luck, i dont know what the problem could be. i wish you better luck moving forward.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't really complain as its nice they do this but its frustrating to wait so long. The perfect phone was only perfect for hours and the others are damaged from the box. I can accept a slight scuff but not when it looks like its been dropped.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I can't really complain as its nice they do this but its frustrating to wait so long. The perfect phone was only perfect for hours and the others are damaged from the box. I can accept a slight scuff but not when it looks like its been dropped.

yeah true especially when you are paying so much.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
yeah true especially when you are paying so much.

I hope the next one works out. I have never had a phone turn off on me while attempting to make a call than not turn on for 30 minutes. And then it has LTE and works online but not on calls or text. Weird.

indosilver

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully they finally get you a working product, the phone is truly awesome when everything works correctly. At least they aren't giving you too much hassle in the mean time

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can't you just go the Verizon store and replace it and make sure it's a new device?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Can't you just go the Verizon store and replace it and make sure it's a new device?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Not after 30 days. I am hopeful the next device I receive tomorrow is okay but after yesterday and it failing to make cals I don't know.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
After that many clnr devices they shoul have no problem getting you a new device. And if you have had more then 4 in 30days they will send you a different device if you choose but why give up the note 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
After that many clnr devices they shoul have no problem getting you a new device. And if you have had more then 4 in 30days they will send you a different device if you choose but why give up the note 2

Not giving up on the Note II. I gave up on the RAZR HD Maxx for the Note II and I can't see myself leaving Samsung at the moment. I have been told in the past that new devices would never happen and they would send me as many CLNR as necessary. I laughed because I felt that this could get out of hand but now in hindsight this isn't funny now that its my precious Note II.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The replacement arrived in good condition but the chrome by the volume rocker moves a lot and fhe volme rocker is mushy feeling with no click after the initial. :banghead:

Edit: If the chrome moves too much its knocking my back cover (Flip and Normal) loose.

Again... I give up :banghead:

I give up.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
How are you having all these issues that the rest of us aren't?

I think its the way theyre packed in the replacement box. I dont know. I dont care anymore. I took the phone to a Verizon store and they saw the back cover wouldnt stay out and they tried one of theirs with the same result. I have the worst luck with Verizon shipped CLNR. Oh well, what can you really do? My friends who bought the Note II new never had an issue with their new device. Ive always had a CLNR as it was a switch from the Razr Hd due to known wifi issues. I cant stand refurbished devices because it seems like no one checks them based on my experience. Most refurbished problems have started in the last year or so. I never had to deal with this prior to that.

I guess my point with this thread is dont send phone in for a replacement unless absolutelu necessary. My friend got a Note II to replace his HD Maxx too but his was perfect. So luck of the draw I guess.

My main gripe is that my phone was fine until a security update came by and kept rebooting my device. Ever since that point I cant get a device that works properly or isnt damaged to save my life. And yes, I do have the right to a device that doesnt look like a 4 year old got a hold of it prior to me receiving it. I keep all my gadgets in like new condition and I sell them as such when I upgrade. Im not going to get screwed by Samsung or Verizon and be forced to sell for less due to cosmtic damage I did not cause.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for your problems. Clnr is luck of the draw. I have had issues with them too.

However even new replacement might have issues too. I got 2 brand new in retail box replacement of my Rezound within the 90 day Costco wireless return period due to issues with the phone.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for your problems. Clnr is luck of the draw. I have had issues with them too.

However even new replacement might have issues too. I got 2 brand new in retail box replacement of my Rezound within the 90 day Costco wireless return period due to issues with the phone.

I understand that but at least new you have a better chance at a working device. As you said, CLNR are nothing more than the luck of the straw and once I get that lucky straw I won't let it go. I feel like these CLNR are just sent in, looked at for half a second and shipped out. The damage and/or failure to make calls is proof of this.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand that but at least new you have a better chance at a working device. As you said, CLNR are nothing more than the luck of the straw and once I get that lucky straw I won't let it go. I feel like these CLNR are just sent in, looked at for half a second and shipped out. The damage and/or failure to make calls is proof of this.

i agree with you. their clnr process is certainly iffy. of course, your other alternative is to go to Samsung to get it repaired, though I have heard horror stories there too. but at least you get YOUR phone back.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i agree with you. their clnr process is certainly iffy. of course, your other alternative is to go to Samsung to get it repaired, though I have heard horror stories there too. but at least you get YOUR phone back.

At this point in time I would never have my phone back because I'm on the replacements. I really hate to sound picky but a CLNR should never:

1.) Have moving panels that cause creaking at the slightest touch. This may be picky but if I'm holding the phone to my ear and the creak is nearly as loud as the speaker I find that to be unacceptable. But this is especially true now that the back cover is very loose due to this. Maybe one could live with a small creak but a LOUD one plus a loose back cover (Both Flip Cover and Battery Cover) is not going to cut it.
2.) Scratches and nicks all over the place is not acceptable on a supposed "LIKE NEW" replacement. If I claimed "LIKE NEW' and sold or sent one out it would be returned for false conditioning.
3.) Phone stops working at all after 5 hours. Really?

I put the OEM Samsung Protective Cover on and my battery cover was still coming loose I noticed. I'm going to go ahead and say this isn't acceptable to anyone here.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that should not pass the inspection, with clear physical damage.

The one thing I always try to remember is that Verizon is not legally required to send clnr phones (the warranty is with Samsung), so Verizon is going beyond their legal duty. The quality of clnr may suck, but they are willing to send you the replacement phone first. Also, they may allow you to move to a different phone, something that the manufacturer would not let you do.

I understand your pain though, I have had clnr with physical defects before too.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that should not pass the inspection, with clear physical damage.

The one thing I always try to remember is that Verizon is not legally required to send clnr phones (the warranty is with Samsung), so Verizon is going beyond their legal duty. The quality of clnr may suck, but they are willing to send you the replacement phone first. Also, they may allow you to move to a different phone, something that the manufacturer would not let you do.

I understand your pain though, I have had clnr with physical defects before too.

I'm always polite with Verizon because I realize this is the case. I had originally moved from a RAZR HD Maxx to a Note II because the RAZR HD had an issue where the Wi-Fi could not hold a signal on multiple different network setups. I have not had many true issues with the Note II other than the reboots from a security update and the brick replacement I received. The main issue stems from the way I believe replacements are stored. In the past when Verizon began using these cardboard sleeves, the phone was inserted into a plastic bag type sleeve than put into the box. Now, the phone is placed directly into the box with no sleeve. Do these replacement devices sit in a box together and get bumped against each other? This could very well be the case and also explain why the devices tend to come with damage of some sort. The RAZR HD was no different as the edge would usually have 1 or 2 nicks in it but I looked the other way since they were small enough.