WI-FI wont shut down

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I know there are dozens of threads like this in this forum, in xda etc.believe me i have read them all, and i mean each and every one of them before opening this thread.

Couple of days ago, i had this sudden urge that i had to root my new Note 2.Coming from ios, i was familiar with jailbroken, rooted devices and i thought it would be a good idea to crack my note 2.

I was very wrong though, not only have i realized rooting was completely unnecessary for me, i messed up a perfectly functioning system.

It is my wifi that is pissing me off. I turned off everything from the phone settings that could possibly keep the phone awake at sleep mode. It just wont shut down and i don't have a clue on whats causing this. I have got some secreenies showing system activity, and an activity chart, funny thing is i cant read this chart aswell coz i am an idiot,

I hope you guys can help me..

Thanks alot

uploadfromtaptalk1360887939762.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360887957708.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360887980661.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I know there are dozens of threads like this in this forum, in xda etc.believe me i have read them all, and i mean each and every one of them before opening this thread.

Couple of days ago, i had this sudden urge that i had to root my new Note 2.Coming from ios, i was familiar with jailbroken, rooted devices and i thought it would be a good idea to crack my note 2.

I was very wrong though, not only have i realized rooting was completely unnecessary for me, i messed up a perfectly functioning system.

It is my wifi that is pissing me off. I turned off everything from the phone settings that could possibly keep the phone awake at sleep mode. It just wont shut down and i don't have a clue on whats causing this. I have got some secreenies showing system activity, and an activity chart, funny thing is i cant read this chart aswell coz i am an idiot,

Thanks alot

View attachment 60479View attachment 60480View attachment 60481

so you want wifi to shut off everytime you shut off the screen , is this correct?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that is exactly what i want. I have lousy stand by battery life now because the wifi is always on and the phone wont go deep sleeping mode.

Have you tried settings>Wi-Fi>Menu button>Advanced>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep>Never

mmednick1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
When I shut my WiFi off it usually turns its self back on within minutes. I can't figure it out. I have tried all the settings. Anyone else with thus problem?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
When I shut my WiFi off it usually turns its self back on within minutes. I can't figure it out. I have tried all the settings. Anyone else with thus problem?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Try
Settings>Wifi> menu button> advanced> auto connect (uncheck the box)

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is exactly what i want. I have lousy stand by battery life now because the wifi is always on and the phone wont go deep sleeping mode.

You have lousy standy bye battery life for a different reason. Guaranteed. I leave wifi on 24/7 i never ever turn it off. I can typically get 1.5 day battery life. Look elsewhere for your problem. Also try a different rom. I strongly reccomend cleanrom 1.2 it is very close to stock with just a few key differencs

Sent via Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You have lousy standy bye battery life for a different reason. Guaranteed. I leave wifi on 24/7 i never ever turn it off. I can typically get 1.5 day battery life. Look elsewhere for your problem. Also try a different rom. I strongly reccomend cleanrom 1.2 it is very close to stock with just a few key differencs

Sent via Tapatalk

If Wi-Fi is set to never sleep, it will keep the phone out of deep sleep if Wi-Fi is always on.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I realize that and i have had the phone since thw beginning of November. The only things i leave off is gps and bluetooth unless i am using them at that moment. Absolutely zero battery life problems other than unoptimized apps. My phone battery life is nothing to complain about. I had the iphone 5 before this one and used that the same way. That phone drained its battery in less than half a day. I had to have a charger everywhere i go. No need to do that anymore with this phone.

You will find more often than not that a rogue app is the cause of 99% of your battery issues.

Sent via Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I realize that and i have had the phone since thw beginning of November. The only things i leave off is gps and bluetooth unless i am using them at that moment. Absolutely zero battery life problems other than unoptimized apps. My phone battery life is nothing to complain about. I had the iphone 5 before this one and used that the same way. That phone drained its battery in less than half a day. I had to have a charger everywhere i go. No need to do that anymore with this phone.

You will find more often than not that a rogue app is the cause of 99% of your battery issues.

Sent via Tapatalk

Well I'm a several years now, Android user and I have NEVER had a rogue app causing any of my battery issues I the past and have never seen a rogue app on these forums causing it either. It's always been something causing wake locks and the phone not going into deep sleep or a bad LTE signal had been the cause of much of it.

Better Battery Stats, to install only as a diagnostic tool (remove it when you are done) will tell people exactly what is causing the wake locks.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Thanks alot

View attachment 60479View attachment 60480View attachment 60481

Get Better Battery Stats from the Play Store, it's much easier to read, will tell how long your phone was in deep sleep and EXACTLY what was causing the wake locks.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
So what you are saying is better battery stats will tell me which rogue app is causing the issue then?

Sent via Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So what you are saying is better battery stats will tell me which rogue app is causing the issue then?

Sent via Tapatalk

Why do you think it is a rogue app?

These are some of the things it will show you.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361057109806.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361057109806.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361057123638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361057123638.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361057135929.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361057135929.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361057164294.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361057164294.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361057179711.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361057179711.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hate to tell you that all those things in those pictures you showed are called system apps. System apps can be culprits too.

Sent via Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Im not saying that it cant be low signal levels and what not but to say specifically that has to be wifi is ludicrous. Its not a wifi issue.

If its an app that is constantly accessing wifi when you dont want it to ie rogue app. Then its still not a wifi issue its that app. Turning off wifi will temporarily fix your problem but when its on you still have that app doing things it shouldnt be doing

Sent via Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hate to tell you that all those things in those pictures you showed are called system apps. System apps can be culprits too.

Sent via Tapatalk

Not all of them are system apps and there are tweaks you can do to keep system apps from using as much battery.

Why are you assuming I am not knowledgeable about Android? I've used it for years now, since it first came out and have solved many of mine and others battery issues. I can generally get about 20 hours of battery. The display brightness, turning off automatic and turning down the brightness some can make a huge difference.

I know what system apps are and which ones are not. Like I said, been dealing with Android for many years now.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I am by no means trying to say you arent knowledgable and good for you on your battery life.

Wanna see a rogue app? Try to use allshare play. Close it lik you normally would and then head out for awhile. Drained my battery 20% percent in an hour. Even though i closed it with the back button and not just suspended it, it was constantly accessing the cpu. Built in application manager show that. I had to force stop it from running in the back ground.

Sent via Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am by no means trying to say you arent knowledgable and good for you on your battery life.

Wanna see a rogue app? Try to use allshare play. Close it lik you normally would and then head out for awhile. Drained my battery 20% percent in an hour. Even though i closed it with the back button and not just suspended it, it was constantly accessing the cpu. Built in application manager show that. I had to force stop it from running in the back ground.

Sent via Tapatalk

AllShare is not a rogue app, there is no malicious code in it nor is it a malicious app.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You must not be aware of what a rogue app is. A rogue app is an app that does anything against what the user wishes. Its not a malicious app or anything. If you tell it to close and instead it runs in the background then it "rogue" simply because it does something you do not want it too

Sent via Tapatalk