When I install apps from Google Play, I am told that the app needs access to GPS location, even if it is completely irrelevant to the app. This is the case with the vast majority of apps. I do not want all of these apps to be able to track my location all of the time, so I keep Location Services switched off. Unlike iOS devices, on Android there are three simple check boxes for the location services. On iOS I could customise which apps could have access to this data; is there somewhere in Android 4.1.2 (Note 2 N7100) where I could do this? I would like to be able to take advantage of the functionality that Google Now has to offer, and of course, Google Maps, but without GPS, it is very inconvenient to use these apps, but like I said, I do not want my location to be readily available to other companies.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
    02-16-2013 11:38 AM
    When application asks permission for irrelevant data it means that it will use your data in a way you cannot expect. You should try to find a different app that does the same thing without asking for these permissions
    02-16-2013 12:09 PM
    The only apps I have had ask for GPS access are location based apps. The play store will probably want your location, though it didn't have to be through GPS, but Google location, because all apps are not available in all countries and the Play Store muddy have your location.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2
    02-16-2013 12:19 PM
    When application asks permission for irrelevant data it means that it will use your data in a way you cannot expect. You should try to find a different app that does the same thing without asking for these permissions
    This is one way of looking at things. Another way is that most data that an application can access is immaterial for all effective privacy concerns, and accessing the data will allow the app to do some smart things that will prove useful. It's not like the developer of "GasBuddy" is going to monitor my location fulltime so he can carjack me.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    02-17-2013 10:05 AM
    This is one way of looking at things. Another way is that most data that an application can access is immaterial for all effective privacy concerns, and accessing the data will allow the app to do some smart things that will prove useful. It's not like the developer of "GasBuddy" is going to monitor my location fulltime so he can carjack me.
    Exactly and location services for Gas Buddy is not irrelevant, since it's all about gas in your location.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2
    02-17-2013 10:13 AM