Has anybody tried this wireless charging kit?

mmgquiet

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
None of these kits will work with the Sprint versions of the Note 2 unless you use a Dremel tool and slightly modify a small piece of plastic shield inside the phone that's blocking the 2 contacts the wireless device needs to make contact with.
At the bottom of this link, look at the first 2 pictures.(Those are pics of the Sprint model) [MOD] T-Mobile Note 2 wireless charging mod - xda-developers

In Pic #1, see the hole where the screw has been removed? Those 2 small contacts just to the left of it is what the the pad needs to make contact with. Unfortunately the Sprint version has a plastic plate blocking them from being exposed.

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying, I have modified my vzw note 2 to where the wireless charging contacts are accessible. Just wondering on the quality of this kit.

Sent ala my Note Dos on Big Red

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wish they had more pics of it installed in a Note 2. It looks like the phone part is adhesive and you just have to stick it to the inside of the back cover (properly aligned of course). If that is the way it works it should be very simple install. Not a bad price either. Hopefully someone responds who has used it.

EDIT: OK this looks like about the same thing on Amazon. It has no reviews, and is more money, but it has more pics:
Amazon.com: Qi Standard Wireless Charger Pad Charging Receiver for Samsung Note2: Cell Phones & Accessories

Michael

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and bought it from fasttech.com ($45 shipped with coupon code "CPASTE13SPRING"). Will write up a review if y'all want once I receive it and use it for a while.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I saw this the other day, keep use posted as i want this for my at&t note too! :D

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that wireless charging wastes a boatload of electric power. It's convenient, but not at all "green."

I've never understood how not plugging in a little micro-USB jack constituted such a benefit. The plug fits into the little slot just fine for me.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that wireless charging wastes a boatload of electric power. It's convenient, but not at all "green."

I've never understood how not plugging in a little micro-USB jack constituted such a benefit. The plug fits into the little slot just fine for me.

You have a good point but you must have never used this method of charging. This is the only thing I miss about my palm pre days. Lean over without looking,, one hand,, grab off charger,,, put back on again, one handed without looking. You can't miss what you most likely never had.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

I think its just the hassle of having to put it in when you could simply set it down. I struggle sometimes at night when trying to plug it in the dark. I dont want to force the usb cable and damge the port. Also wireless charging would be another method of charging if the usb port ever got damaged for whatever reason. I think its pretty neat. :D

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

These are low-powered devices, charging from very close distances. I would not call the 15% loss of efficiency, compared to traditional chargers, a boatload of wasted electrical power.

But more importantly it is very convenient to just set it down and have it charge. No need to fiddle around with a connector that only works one way, and then be tethered to the cable should you need to make/take a quick call or text. Having a charging stand on my nightstand and desk seems quite attractive to me. Right now I plug and unplug my smartphone countless times during the day while working. I will gladly take the convenience of just setting my phone down to charge it.

Michael

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
The main reason I'm getting it is so I don't have to pull the cord out from behind my bed. I think it'll be a good alternative for overnight charging but not so much during the day since it is slower to traditional charging. Will keep everyone posted as to how it works out

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
It's not 15% - more like 50% loss. But continue.

So, instead of using 10W of power this uses 15W.
Even if charging 24/7 we are talking about $2 per year more in electricity costs. But since it is likely energized less than 1/3 of that is it really worth any amount of worry?

Sent from my SG Note 2 [Tapatalk]

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, instead of using 10W of power this uses 15W.
Even if charging 24/7 we are talking about $2 per year more in electricity costs. But since it is likely energized less than 1/3 of that is it really worth any amount of worry?

You must be paying dirt cheap for electricity. 15w constantly running for a year would be 131.4 kwh. I pay about 15 cents per kwh, so about $20 a year you on the other hand are paying 1.5 cents per kwh

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
You must be paying dirt cheap for electricity. 15w constantly running for a year would be 131.4 kwh. I pay about 15 cents per kwh, so about $20 a year you on the other hand are paying 1.5 cents per kwh

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

I'm not saying anything about the total cost but the increased cost.

A 50% increase from 10W is 15W. This is a 5W difference.

5W = 43kW in one year. This of course assumes that you are charging your phone at full power 24/7/365. Which is impossible unless your phone or battery is defective.

Let's assume the worst case scenario of 8 hour full power charge per day. This would consume 14.6 kW more per year.
At your utility cost of 0.15 per kW, you will have spent a whopping $2.19.
My utility cost is $0.10 costing me $1.46 per year.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's my big issue with wireless charging. The way I do things, I have USB chargers "everywhere". I also have 6' cables attached to those chargers. I have cigarette lighter chargers in our 3 vehicles...when I want to charge our devices, I can do so just about "everywhere" around the house or car (I didn't even mention that if need be, I have laptops to charge from also). THEREFORE, If I switched to wireless charging, I'd want to have a BUNCH of those suckers spread around. Not something I want to do, due to the unnecessary, frivolous cost.

Just to give you all an idea of how many USB chargers we have, there are FOUR in the family room, FOUR in the bedroom, one or two in my office... (obviously we have other devices that charge via USB). I have more chargers laying around in drawers. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm