So I got my notification this morning on my Sprint GN2 that there was a system update available and my wife wakes up telling me she now had 4G available on her phone so I run the update only to find out later it's basically a security fix. I'm OK with that.

Problem is that now, suddenly it keeps redownloading all my emails from the accounts I have setup on the phone from as far back as is still left on the servers. I'm getting 20-40 emails redownloaded on my phone. These are messages that up to a month old and have already been read once before when they were new. I don't have my system set to delete the messages. I check them all as being read and the next time I turn on my phone I have these same messages redownloaded and marked as new unread. This was not happening prior to the update today.

I haven't seen any other threads on the update issue.
    02-18-2013 01:36 PM
    That is weird... this (I'm assuming it's the same Exynos vulnerability patch that's been going around lately) is only meant to patch a security hole, not mess up your e-mail. I'm not a Sprint customer and my phone is a factory-unlocked International version, but after the equivalent update I haven't had any issues with e-mails being re-downloaded.

BTW, maybe posting your issue in the Sprint section of this forum might help you get better answers...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-note-2/
    02-18-2013 03:00 PM
    So I got my notification this morning on my Sprint GN2 that there was a system update available and my wife wakes up telling me she now had 4G available on her phone so I run the update only to find out later it's basically a security fix. I'm OK with that.

Problem is that now, suddenly it keeps redownloading all my emails from the accounts I have setup on the phone from as far back as is still left on the servers. I'm getting 20-40 emails redownloaded on my phone. These are messages that up to a month old and have already been read once before when they were new. I don't have my system set to delete the messages. I check them all as being read and the next time I turn on my phone I have these same messages redownloaded and marked as new unread. This was not happening prior to the update today.

You might want to delete your Google account and put it back and also check your sync settings when you do.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2
    02-18-2013 04:11 PM
    Same here. Never had that occur. Might have to consider a factory reset.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    02-18-2013 04:38 PM
    Thanks Spook. I posted in the general section thinking that the update was going out to everyone's Note2 so it may not just be me. Also, after looking at this more, it only seems to be doing this with my RoadRunner email account, not my Gmail account.

Jude? IS your issue happening with a Non-Gmail account also?
    02-18-2013 10:16 PM

Would this happen to be a roadrunner account on pop3? Do you have another phone registered or loged into the same account?
    02-18-2013 11:11 PM
    Would this happen to be a roadrunner account on pop3? Do you have another phone registered or loged into the same account?
    Yes it is. I think I fixed it by removing the account and reinstalling it. It redownloaded all the old Emails again but this time, after I marked them as read, it hasn't redownloaded anything sine last night. I think the update must have screwed up a pointer in the OS somewhere and the recreation of the account may have fixed it.

Funny how it only did it to the RR account and not the Gmail or Hotmail account I also had on the phone.
    02-19-2013 05:40 PM
    Well. After a few days, I still am getting some old emails redownloaded from my Road Runner account. It doesn't seem to happen with either the hotmail or gmail accounts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    02-26-2013 12:01 PM
    I am having similar issue, 'cept that my email accounts are set to IMAP. I am not sure if this is the problem of the email app that came with the OS. I found this because it sync'ed 24/7 even when I was under 4G network, and my data usage jumped to 1GB+ in a couple days just by the email app. So I disabled background data on data network but then found that it cripples my wireless speed when I connect to WiFi. Now I just removed all my email accounts from Email app and use a 3rd party app downloaded from Play Store, and the issue seems to not coming back again. Anyone else has this same problem?
    02-26-2013 04:21 PM
    The only solution I found for using the native email app was to go online and delete or move all the email that was still on the RR server and it seems to have stopped it from happening. Now only the new email is downloaded and so far when it downloads and I delete it, it stays gone

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    03-05-2013 12:15 PM