Advice on Note 2 please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneZeoN

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading my phone in 3/4 weeks and was all set to get the S3....but I've decided I may as well get the Note 2 as the bigger screen intrigues me :D

But what are people's opinions on a few things??

How is it for web browsing? as ill be doing this A LOT on the note 2 as I'm selling my iPad mini.
Is the camera as good as the S3?

Thanks for any replies :)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the S3 and the camera is the same quality as the S3. Excellent camera in my opinion. As good as and sometimes better than the iPhone 4s in my experience. Web browsing is awesome on the Note 2. Big screen plus the S pen for navigating around is great.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Browsing is very good on the note 2. Especially with the spen used as a mouse typr thingy. Flash player can also be side loaded to work.

If you plan to use the phone one handed though it will become a big issue. Forget about quickly pulling out the phone an checking something in crowded place like a train where you only have one hand free. Similarily if you use a case, even a thin one (with a little bit of rubber on it for grip), it can quickly become a pain in the ass putting it in a pocket. Also, you can forget about it fitting in a small pocket.

So while it is a really good phone, bear these things in mind because a smaller phone still holds an advantage over phones of this size in the way or more comfortable and discreet.

OneZeoN

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the S3 and the camera is the same quality as the S3. Excellent camera in my opinion. As good as and sometimes better than the iPhone 4s in my experience. Web browsing is awesome on the Note 2. Big screen plus the S pen for navigating around is great.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

Awesome thanks

I will be using the phone most of the time when web browsing so it being bigger is great for me.
And taking the odd pics of the kids playing is a bonus for Facebook use etc

OneZeoN

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Browsing is very good on the note 2. Especially with the spen used as a mouse typr thingy. Flash player can also be side loaded to work.

If you plan to use the phone one handed though it will become a big issue. Forget about quickly pulling out the phone an checking something in crowded place like a train where you only have one hand free. Similarily if you use a case, even a thin one (with a little bit of rubber on it for grip), it can quickly become a pain in the ass putting it in a pocket. Also, you can forget about it fitting in a small pocket.

So while it is a really good phone, bear these things in mind because a smaller phone still holds an advantage over phones of this size in the way or more comfortable and discreet.

Yeah fitting in pockets etc is a little worrying but I generally wear lose jeans that should be fine.
Case wise I always use silicone shells and no screen protectors (I take care of my gadgets) as I don't like them.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on the case you get. I have the platinum case w/kickstand from BB. Its the same as a seidio surface. I have zero problens getting it in or out of my pockets. It has a nice texture but it would grab at your pocket. Gotta get something though. It is quitw slippery without one.

Sent via Tapatalk

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have an Otterbox commuter on mine. I don't have a problem with getting my phone in or out of my pockets.

I also don't have a problem using the phone one handed most of the time. It's all what you get used to.

iReP PHiLLY

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm upgrading my phone in 3/4 weeks and was all set to get the S3....but I've decided I may as well get the Note 2 as the bigger screen intrigues me :D

But what are people's opinions on a few things??

How is it for web browsing? as ill be doing this A LOT on the note 2 as I'm selling my iPad mini.
Is the camera as good as the S3?

Thanks for any replies :)

IMO I say the note 2 is one of if not the best smartphone on the market. Feature wise its great like the post above mine said... web browsing is awesome for sure S pen, Pop up Window (for viewing multiple things at once), the SCREEN... all pluses when it comes to web browsing. For me battery life has been something to really admire... im a medic and I stay on my phone in the squad truck/ambulance playn music, games (word w friends, temple run, angry birds), you tube plus some net surfing. All that and at the end of the day I can still be headed home with a battery life above 35%-40%. W/ Minimal use I have actually had my phone last for 2days yes without a charge, some ppl have been having trouble with battery life but not me at all. Not to mention custom roms and what not (if interested) u will absolutely love the phone and wont regret the upgrade.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I have an Otterbox commuter on mine. I don't have a problem with getting my phone in or out of my pockets.

I also don't have a problem using the phone one handed most of the time. It's all what you get used to.

I am very used to it, and it is not easy or comfortable using the phone one handed unless you have some freakishly gigantic hands.

If the OP intends to use this phone one handed often, then steer well clear.

Jean pockets (not skinny) can be a bit of a struggle to get it into when you're walking at same time, etc. This is with a case on though. Basically there are some drawbacks with the size of this, despite people claiming otherwise. There is a reason why most people wouldn't ever consider getting this phone. It's all about how you intend to use it and whether the positives outweigh some of the issues a device of this size create.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The one handed use issue really seems to vary from person to person. Obviously, as has been pointed out, it can be an issue for someone with small hands. However, I will tell you that I do not have big hands at all. I'm 5'9" and have average size hands at best. I use the Note 2 with one hand a lot. I did adjust to it and I don't even use the one handed mode that the phone has built in to it. I can type with one hand and I have placed my icons and widgets so that the ones I use the most are on the right side of the screen where I can reach them quickly.

Bottom line is that while the size can be an issue, it doesn't have to be and it isn't for some people even with small hands. Putting it in your pocket is not an issue unless you are wearing some skinny jeans or something. I have the Lloyd Flex Case on mine right now so it's not a big case, but I put my phone in my jeans and my dress pants pockets without any issue.

It really is going to vary from person to person so your best bet is to go to the store and try out typing and stick it in your pocket. Find out if it works for you. I am so used to the size now that I would feel uncomfortable going to a smaller device I think.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't have big hands at all. I have just grown accustom to using the phone and it doesn't bother me.

While the size may bother some... you may find it doesn't bother you much at all.... but I feel confident that the positives will out way the negative of the size if the size does bother you.

Last edited:

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Fantastic phone especially for browsing. I'm using the thin elago case. Great for extra grip but won't snag when dropping into your jeans pocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The one handed use issue really seems to vary from person to person. Obviously, as has been pointed out, it can be an issue for someone with small hands. However, I will tell you that I do not have big hands at all. I'm 5'9" and have average size hands at best. I use the Note 2 with one hand a lot. I did adjust to it and I don't even use the one handed mode that the phone has built in to it. I can type with one hand and I have placed my icons and widgets so that the ones I use the most are on the right side of the screen where I can reach them quickly.

Bottom line is that while the size can be an issue, it doesn't have to be and it isn't for some people even with small hands. Putting it in your pocket is not an issue unless you are wearing some skinny jeans or something. I have the Lloyd Flex Case on mine right now so it's not a big case, but I put my phone in my jeans and my dress pants pockets without any issue.

It really is going to vary from person to person so your best bet is to go to the store and try out typing and stick it in your pocket. Find out if it works for you. I am so used to the size now that I would feel uncomfortable going to a smaller device I think.

It does vary from person to person and I have developed this "claw" grip for one handed us. While it can be done for most things it is just nowhere near as comfortable as a smaller phone and definately at greater risk of slipping out with one handed use. It really can't be argued otherwise that this probably isn't a good choice of phone if you are used to or want to use the phone primarily one handed. I decided I could live with that but it is an issue for a lot of people and most my friends. Definately test it out beforehand if you are concerned.

Similarily I was not wearing skinny jeans. Last night I was wearing baggy quicksilver jeans with big pockets. It was sub zero temperature and I was just trying to get the phone into my pocket and eventually had to use my other hand to "clear the gap" so my phone will slide in. Obviously this wasn't helped by the rubbery texture of my case, but it is something to bare in mind because I never had this issue with previous phones and it was a big pain in the ass (especially in freezing weather and wanting to do it quick)

It is a very good phone, but you need to find out of the size will bother you. There is a technique to using it one handed but it is nowhere near as confortable as smaller phones. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying, a blind fanboy, have freakisly long fingers, or just doesn't use it enough that way to notice. Seriously, try on a smaller phone and see how much easier and nicer it feels.

For everything else it's fantastic, and the big screen and spen have a lot of benefits. If you are concerned, then test it out instore.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you're the one lying. Just because you can't use the device one handed doesn't mean everyone else has. Don't lump your conclusions on everyone and call everyone liars and fan boys.

It seems to me you're too stubborn to learn how to properly use the device with one hand. As per this topic many people use it with no problem. I myself have small hands and I use it fine. No fear of the phone falling.

You're accusations are ignorant.

I know perfectly well how to "use" the device one handed. Like I said, I use it fairly often like that. I also use my old phone too and it really is more comfortable.

The device is hard to use one handed and less comfortable than smaller phones. This is pointed out in more or less every single review I read before I bought the device. A lot of people even struggle using the S3 one handed, even though I don't. Sorry for upsetting the fanboys though.

To the OP, try reading some unbiased reviews from non blind fanboys and you will see that one handed can be awkward. This is more the rule than the exception, and a phone of this size would be the norm if these obstacles weren't there. There is a reason why people prefer smaller devices. There is a reason why Apple haven't increased the size of their devices by much given that they believr a phone should be easy to use one handed. A lot of my friends and family have used my phone and they ALL struggle to use it properly one handed, and while I "know" the claw technique and pinky rest tactics to do it properly, it IS more uncomfortable.

The OP needs to bear this in mind if he needs to use it often one handed, and the people spouting nonsense that one handed use is "fine" in comparision to the S3 or smaller phones are living in a dreamworld. The OP may be able to put up with it, like me, but a hell of a lot of people won't or can't. If you will be using it two handed 99% of the time then this doesn't matter.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone was claiming that the Note 2 is as easy to use one handed as a smaller phone. It's not. That's not really a question. It's bigger, guess what? It's harder to use with one hand. The point is that how someone adjusts to that is going to vary from person to person. You have to go try the phone for yourself. It think everyone involved in this discussion agrees with that. To the OP, just go try the phone out and see what you think for yourself. It is a great phone and if you can work with the size you will really enjoy it. Good luck!

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it's interesting that my battery meter seems to sit on half-way for a long time. How accurate is everyone's battery meter?

Yep definately try it out. If you're not part of the texting while walking guys and rely on one handed use, you will more than likely be very happy with the benefits of the bigger screen and battery + pen.

I was just trying to make the OP aware that one does have to adjust their usage habits with this, and for some it has proven to be a stumbling block.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem typing one handed. Im typing this now and I don't even have the one handed operation on and it feels comfortable. I think the one handed operation keyboard is to small.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone was claiming that the Note 2 is as easy to use one handed as a smaller phone. It's not. That's not really a question. It's bigger, guess what? It's harder to use with one hand. The point is that how someone adjusts to that is going to vary from person to person. You have to go try the phone for yourself. It think everyone involved in this discussion agrees with that. To the OP, just go try the phone out and see what you think for yourself. It is a great phone and if you can work with the size you will really enjoy it. Good luck!

This.

No one, myself included, is trying to convince you that this phone is going to feel like an Iphone or anything. But you can get accustomed to the phone and it may not bother you.

I actually prefer the large phone. It feels more secure in my hand than the smaller phones do.

I guess not agreeing with fade to black makes someone a fanboy. Lol

SDHarleydad

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on the case you get. I have the platinum case w/kickstand from BB. Its the same as a seidio surface. I have zero problens getting it in or out of my pockets. It has a nice texture but it would grab at your pocket. Gotta get something though. It is quitw slippery without one.

Sent via Tapatalk
I have this same case... Doesn't increase the size much and makes it a lot easier to grip. I love this phone

Status
Not open for further replies.