Advice on Note 2 please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
This.

No one, myself included, is trying to convince you that this phone is going to feel like an Iphone or anything. But you can get accustomed to the phone and it may not bother you.

I actually prefer the large phone. It feels more secure in my hand than the smaller phones do.

I guess not agreeing with fade to black makes someone a fanboy. Lol

No

Ignoring that this phone is massive and more difficult to use than smaller phones is being a fanboy. The problem I was having is reading the comments which would give the OP the impression that the size of the phone didn't require an adjustment in the way you use the phone. Then I pointed out how most unbiased reviews mention the size being an issue for comfortable one handed use.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I have this same case... Doesn't increase the size much and makes it a lot easier to grip. I love this phone

Yeah the rubbery texture on the sides probably doesn't help. I'd love to use this without the case as it is so slim, but I'm worried I'll drop it. Since I bought this phone off contract, I'm considering getting insurance with it.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
No

Ignoring that this phone is massive and more difficult to use than smaller phones is being a fanboy. The problem I was having is reading the comments which would give the OP the size didn't require an adjustment.

Nobody is ignoring the size of the phone. It is just something that some people can grow accustomed to and end up not being a problem. This phone feels more secure in my hand. Just because I don't have the same issues as you do not make me a fanboy.

All I did was give a different perspective.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem typing one handed. Im typing this now and I don't even have the one handed operation on and it feels comfortable. I think the one handed operation keyboard is to small.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Try typing one handed while walking through town with shopping bags in the other hand. Or try quickly taking the phone out with one hand and navigating to the phone book and calling someone with only one hand.

It can be a bit of an issue and tbh it is an issue for everyone I've let try my phone. I also regularly switch between phones and the difference and ease with smallers ones to do this is very apparent. Seemingly there are some giants on this forum who have no issue at all with this, but for people in the real world who use their phone like that, it can be an issue. This is why the OP needs to decide what category he falls under and if the benefits outweigh the very few negatives.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Nobody is ignoring the size of the phone. It is just something that some people can grow accustomed to and end up not being a problem. This phone feels more secure in my hand. Just because I don't have the same issues as you do not make me a fanboy.

All I did was give a different perspective.

I'm not calling you a fanboy personally. I'm just pointing out that while someone can grow accustomed to it, it still is abit awkward.

The issue I had is some people dismissing that issue even though almost every review points it out and every person who I've let use the phone pointed out too. I'm not reffering to you, but there are definately some people on forums who blindly dismiss this.

In your opinion, should I have not made the OP aware that it isn't as easy to use one handed?

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I think it is a given that ythe size of the phone can be an issue. Sure you can mention it to him. Just not necessary to try to debunk those that say that after awhile the size of the phone doesn't have to continue to be a problem.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a given that ythe size of the phone can be an issue. Sure you can mention it to him. Just not necessary to try to debunk those that say that after awhile the size of the phone doesn't have to continue to be a problem.
Yeah I suppose I just may use the phone different to a lot of you lot then. Even after getting used to the claw grip and what-not, it is still dodgy at best trying to use it when holding other things.

It probably is not a noticable issue if you mainly use it indoors and rarely are in situations when you have to use one handed while concentrating on other things and without much room to adjust your hand position to navigate properly without coming perilously close to dropping it. My hands also aren't small and I was comfortable using thr 4.7/4.8" phones.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I'm of the opinion that if you use the phone like I do and use it a lot when walking, and without much room to manouver, then you won't ever feel totally comfortable with it. This will probably be no issue for the OP though or many people who own the phone who will rarely need to use the phone like that. In the end I decided I would take the negatives with the advantages, and most of the time I'm glad I chose the note. There are other times though when I just wish it was a tiny bit smaller. The OP will know what he wants and hopefully this "debate" will help him decide if it is right for him. Amazingly, it is prob the right phone for me.... just about..

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Being someone who went from small phones to a large one like the Evo Lte (and soon a Note 2... I've played with one at Best Buy... Love the size, actually. I'm a painter, so it's like having a mini canvas/sketchbook at all times), I can honestly say you get used to the size of the devices you choose to own. You become accustomed to the dimensions and find ways to make everything work out for you... At least in my experience.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Being someone who went from small phones to a large one like the Evo Lte (and soon a Note 2... I've played with one at Best Buy... Love the size, actually. I'm a painter, so it's like having a mini canvas/sketchbook at all times), I can honestly say you get used to the size of the devices you choose to own. You become accustomed to the dimensions and find ways to make everything work out for you... At least in my experience.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

I still maintain though that if a primarily one handed user enquires about this phone, I would tell then this isn't the phone for them. For everyone else I don't think there's anything better currently on the market.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Try typing one handed while walking through town with shopping bags in the other hand. Or try quickly taking the phone out with one hand and navigating to the phone book and calling someone with only one hand.

It can be a bit of an issue and tbh it is an issue for everyone I've let try my phone. I also regularly switch between phones and the difference and ease with smallers ones to do this is very apparent. Seemingly there are some giants on this forum who have no issue at all with this, but for people in the real world who use their phone like that, it can be an issue. This is why the OP needs to decide what category he falls under and if the benefits outweigh the very few negatives.

Again, you're just relating your own experience and trying to equate it to everyone else.

When we say we can use the device one hand fine, we mean we can use the device one hand fine. Going downtown and walking and typing with one hand with shopping bags is as easy as any other phone. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it's not possible. It doesn't matter if it's rapid typing or swyping as both can be used with one hand.

Of course when you let your friends try they are going to struggle. If you give anyone a new phone regardless of size they will struggle because they aren't used to the device. That's a bias sample. If you want a real test, let them have the device for a week and see how they feel after a week. If you're going to talk about the real world, give real world samples and not biased samples.

No one is saying there isn't a learning curve. There's a learning curve with all devices. It seems to be when someone disagrees with you, you repeat yourself without adding anything new except adding in insults. Calling people giants? Calling people fanboys? What exactly are you trying to prove?

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I still maintain though that if a primarily one handed user enquires about this phone, I would tell then this isn't the phone for them. For everyone else I don't think there's anything better currently on the market.

I would simply tell them to try it for themselves. If you can't use your phone one handed.... Then you can't. That's your experience. But other people may not have that issue. Everyone's hands and phone use varies... So you cannot equate your experience with the phone to that of others. It's not an absolute truth that a one handed user can't use the Note 2 or any other big phone one handedly.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Again, you're just relating your own experience and trying to equate it to everyone else.

When we say we can use the device one hand fine, we mean we can use the device one hand fine. Going downtown and walking and typing with one hand with shopping bags is as easy as any other phone. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it's not possible. It doesn't matter if it's rapid typing or swyping as both can be used with one hand.

Of course when you let your friends try they are going to struggle. If you give anyone a new phone regardless of size they will struggle because they aren't used to the device. That's a bias sample. If you want a real test, let them have the device for a week and see how they feel after a week. If you're going to talk about the real world, give real world samples and not biased samples.

No one is saying there isn't a learning curve. There's a learning curve with all devices. It seems to be when someone disagrees with you, you repeat yourself without adding anything new except adding in insults. Calling people giants? Calling people fanboys? What exactly are you trying to prove?

I'm trying to prove that it is less comfortable using it one handed than more conventional phones. The only way to do it is to go into the claw shape which naturally loosens your grip on the back and side of the phone. Holding it any other way and you'll struggle to reach the corners or specific points.

I won't ever accept that this phone is as comfortable to use one handed as a smaller device. I also don't accept that giving anyone a new phone of any size and they'll struggle. I had no prob going from the smaller windows mobile phones to bigger and bigger ones. This is the only one that requires a new way to hold it. You are assuming that "possible to use with one hand" is the same as comfortably doing it or doing it with ease.

I don't need to give someone my phone for a week to know that it'll never feel as comfortable or natural as a smaller one. Even if it is "possible" to use one handed. What exactly are you lot trying to argue? That it is as comfortable to use one handed as a smaller phone? You will find you are in the minority on that and this phone isn't targetted for one handed use. So don't try and pretend it's the same as more conventional phone sizes.

Jeeez... even before I got the phone after the dozens of reviews I read/watched, I was already aware of one handed usage. I'll never agree that it's "as easy as any other phone" while walking around using it one handed, and I'm fairly certain that most people would share the same view.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I would simply tell them to try it for themselves. If you can't use your phone one handed.... Then you can't. That's your experience. But other people may not have that issue. Everyone's hands and phone use varies... So you cannot equate your experience with the phone to that of others. It's not an absolute truth that a one handed user can't use the Note 2 or any other big phone one handedly.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Please read my previous post. I am not arguing that it is not possible for one handed use.

OneZeoN

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for all the replies.

Regarding the one/two handed debate for me it's not much of an issue.
I've had a S2 before and used that mainly two handed as like like typing that way.

Also I use an iPad mini quite a lot which is a two handed tablet and feel I'd cope we'll with a Note 2 and only slight issue would be pocket size...but ill try that in a store and sure it's fine.
I've had a quick play on a Note 2 months ago but now I'm seriously getting one in April I'm going to try it out properly next time I can.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Similar to you, I got my Note 2 as a "two birds with one stone" kinda thing and sold my tablet at the same time (altho it was a cheap Android one and not an iPad). It does quite well in filling the tablet void and is a good in between device. If you have decent sized pockets it shouldn't be an issue, but a rubbery case could make it tough to easily slot in and out. For your usage habits you probably won't find a better device right now.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm upgrading my phone in 3/4 weeks and was all set to get the S3....but I've decided I may as well get the Note 2 as the bigger screen intrigues me :D

But what are people's opinions on a few things??

How is it for web browsing? as ill be doing this A LOT on the note 2 as I'm selling my iPad mini.
Is the camera as good as the S3?

Thanks for any replies :)

Web browsing will not be better by any of HTC's or the S4. No mulit window=single window of old. Resolution is for the nerds, and I know they are out there holding up their money for the next thing! The note 2 is king here, and the display is great. The camera is great. See my sig :)

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Luckily the 4.1.2 enabled a HTC-esque tap to reflow text feature in the browser which improves browsing significantly and stops all that side to side scrolling if you zoom in closer. I got used to the automatic text reflow in HTC devices and was disappointed Samsung didn't have this initially but it's all good now :)

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have trouble texting with one hand on the note 2. Web browsing is great, I like everything about that phone. Its stopped me from texting and driving so that's a good thing for me. It replaced a 7" tablet but got a note 10.1 also. I could have lived without the 10.1, but I like it too.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have trouble texting with one hand on the note 2. Web browsing is great, I like everything about that phone. Its stopped me from texting and driving so that's a good thing for me. It replaced a 7" tablet but got a note 10.1 also. I could have lived without the 10.1, but I like it too.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

I'm thinking about ditching my 7inch HTC View and getting the Note 10.1 to complement my Note 2.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to prove that it is less comfortable using it one handed than more conventional phones. The only way to do it is to go into the claw shape which naturally loosens your grip on the back and side of the phone. Holding it any other way and you'll struggle to reach the corners or specific points.

Again, just because you can't hold it anyway, doesn't mean everyone else can't either. I don't hold it like a claw, I hold it in my hand and have full grip. I think you're the only one who tries to use it with a claw.

I won't ever accept that this phone is as comfortable to use one handed as a smaller device. I also don't accept that giving anyone a new phone of any size and they'll struggle. I had no prob going from the smaller windows mobile phones to bigger and bigger ones. This is the only one that requires a new way to hold it. You are assuming that "possible to use with one hand" is the same as comfortably doing it or doing it with ease.

That just proves your stubbornness. You refuse to accept it and you choose to ignore the facts. You put your own experience on everyone else and refuse to listen to what anyone else has to say. You're assuming that no one can hold it comfortably or with ease because you can't do it. If you can't do it, no one else possibly can.

You have your own experience and so does everyone else. Your experience doesn't count for more than anyone else.

I don't need to give someone my phone for a week to know that it'll never feel as comfortable or natural as a smaller one. Even if it is "possible" to use one handed. What exactly are you lot trying to argue? That it is as comfortable to use one handed as a smaller phone? You will find you are in the minority on that and this phone isn't targetted for one handed use. So don't try and pretend it's the same as more conventional phone sizes.

So you refuse to do a proper test, then call judgement as if you've completed the test? You have no idea of the outcome without doing anything.

No one is saying it's the exact same as "conventional" devices. All devices are different, but just because it's different doesn't mean it's hard to use. Who's to say whose in the minority? Do you have any data to backup the claim that the majority of people can't use one hand with the Note 2?

You're stubbornness is evident and all I'm doing is pointing that out. So that when people read this thread they don't get a biased opinion shoved down their throat that the Note 2 can't possibly be used with one hand because one person failed at doing so. Like I mentioned, your opinion isn't worth more than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084