Wiping Galaxy Note 2's screen

iso99

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Just got my unit today, I was wondering if it's safe to use a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen?

I won't be able to get a screen protector until tomorrow morning, but my screen has a lot of fingerprints already - easily removable with a finger swipe though. When I tried to use wipe it with microfiber, it forms lines but not scratches. Is this normal?

Thank you.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, should be totally safe. Not sure about your lines. Maybe your cloth is dirty? There are also different coarsenesses of micro fiber clothes. All should be safe but some may work better than others. The super fine one that feels like silk may be the one you have that leaves lines?

On a side note, I do think have a screen protector and don't have any scratches on my screen. I've had my phone since it was released on Verizon. (November or December?)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, should be totally safe. Not sure about your lines. Maybe your cloth is dirty? There are also different coarsenesses of micro fiber clothes. All should be safe but some may work better than others. The super fine one that feels like silk may be the one you have that leaves lines?

On a side note, I do think have a screen protector and don't have any scratches on my screen. I've had my phone since it was released on Verizon. (November or December?)

When I had a Note II I had 8 scratches on less than a month. Always in empty pocket and it still scratched. I had a flip cover for a while so I really only went case free for a week. Odd because I've gone longer with no case or protector on other phones and got only 1 minor micro scratch. Must be the luck of the draw.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
t he lines means it wasn't sufficiently cleaning the surface. for glass i use windex. for plastic screen protectors I use Klear Screen. even if i have no protector, the slipperiness of Klear Screen is nice, so I will follow up a good cleaning with Windex, with an application of Klear Screen. it's a polymer so it's totally safe for all screens.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
LOL! NEVER had any issues using windex on many devices. the only items I won't put windex on are laptop screens. SUPPOSEDLY, prolonged usage of ammonia products or alcohol products on laptop screens can cause yellowing (and it takes FOREVER for that to happen). That's why I own a bottle of Klear Screen.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
The lines are just the microfiber cloth moving the grease from you finger prints around. you could stick your finger in some water and then touch the screen with your wet finger so a drop is on your screen and then use the microfiber cloth to wipe away the smudges and then turn the cloth to a dry area and kind of polish the screen lightly that will remove everything. My BoxWave screen protector doesn't get finger prints or smudges, only occasional dust which blows away or can be wiped away with my hand or cloth.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
and I'm worried you worry too much. :) seriously. I've owned other devices for more than 2 years with the smudge-resistant coating and they are FINE after all of the occasional cleanings I've given them, including with windex. some spots just don't come off with a dry rag or even, sometimes, with the addition of Klear Screen. Practical experience, IMO always trumps theoretical ideas. always.

I'll tell you what I WOULDN'T clean with Windex: any of my Nikon lenses' front glass. For that, I have some super-effective stuff called Eclipse Optic cleaning fluid. About 15 times for effective than the old Kodak crap I used to clean lenses with. :) One shouldn't even BREATHE/wipe expensive lens glass. Read up on it. At my age, I know what to worry about and what not to worry about.

iso99

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
i see, i washed my microfiber just to be sure. it gets dusty at my place at times and i'm afraid they might scratch my screen if i accidentally swiped them with my finger.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i use microfiber clothes that are course....feels grippy on fingers, not a fabulous sensation but the ones that have that feel clean the best....i've tried tons of variations. the best cloth ever was the one that came with my transformer prime. wish i could find more like it, never a smear just clean glass. i have had my note 2 since day one with verizon and have no screen protector and no scratches....

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I use this product to clean my screen and every bottle comes with one of these very LG and soft clothes for cleaning lcd screens. I also use the pre moist ones that come in a plastic bottle.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362157869720.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362157869720.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 34

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a screen protector on my Note 2. I usually clean my screen at the same time I clean my eyeglasses, every morning, using the premoistened wipes that are in little sealed packets I purchase at the drugstore. Cleans both very nicely.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Just buy a new cotton t-shirt made by hanes or fruit of the loom, wash it once to soften it up a little and you are good to go.

I wipe the face of my Note 2 on my sleeve of my shirt all of the time when it gets innundated with prints.

Have had my Note 2 without a screen protector since I got it in November. It also goes in my pants pocket with another phone. No scratches on the screen to be seen.

Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for my next. Decisions, decisions.

AZBrowncoat

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I get Microfiber cloths from WalMarts automotive department and they work very well.

Same here...in my local Walmart's Automotive section they have a 2 pack of jumbo micro fiber cloths for about $5 that work great and they are large enough to wipe the whole device at once with (back + front).

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Same here...in my local Walmart's Automotive section they have a 2 pack of jumbo micro fiber cloths for about $5 that work great and they are large enough to wipe the whole device at once with (back + front).
Like that? Lol. I have 13 of these from all the times over the past few years I have bought the lcd screen spray that comes with it plus I have at last count 47 of the small microfiber cloths that come with things like screen protectors. When you have 6 lines,, 6 smartphones on them lines the cloths pile up fast over the years. Lol.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362256157074.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362256157074.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy