[REVIEW] Qi Wireless Charger + Patch ($45 Shipped) w/PICS

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
First off, let me say that I?m on a VZW Note 2 (SCH-i605) completely stock 4.1.1. I modified the wireless charging pins underneath the rear casing. Tutorials for that are on YouTube (I'll post the video below as well). This will only work without modification on the International version (N7100 and N7105) and AT&T (i317). You can search XDA for tutorials on how to make wireless charging work on other versions. I?m not an electrician nor do I have any tools to test things so if you want to know current ratings or anything like that I?m sorry. I will post what my charging times were from certain percentages.
Here is the link you can purchase this set-up at

Delivery time and Pricing:
I placed my order with fasttech.com on Feb. 18 2013. I used the coupon code ?CPASTE13SPRING? to save a few bucks. Normal price for both the Qi patch and charging plate is $47.90 ($14.80 for just the patch and $34.82 for just the charging plate). Free Worldwide shipping. Delivery time was about normal from China (delivery time could have been affected by Chinese New Year). It was delivered on March 4th (14 days from order date). Packaging was not bad, better than what you?d expect from China.

Charging times:
50%-100%: 3 Hours 10 min.
86%-96%: 46 min.
86%-100%: 58 min.
On average I've been seeing about 15% an hour which is on par with other more expensive Qi chargers. I know that for rooted users some ROMs allow faster charging so that might be something to look into if you're rooted. I'll also try to get a stat from <5%-100%.
I will keep this updated with more charging stats the more I use it.

Pros:
1. Price is definitely the biggest pro I can see. As far as I can tell it?s the exact same items that sell on eBay and elsewhere for almost triple the cost of this set-up.
2. Qi patch and plate don?t feel cheap. Although they?re inexpensive and although I haven't been using them long, they feel like they?ll hold up a while.
3. I can confirm that you can have a UAG case or Androidified TPU case on and it will still charge wirelessly. Not sure about Otterbox Defender or Commuter, you might search around if you?re curious.
4. As with all other Qi receivers (correct me if I?m wrong), you can position your phone in any direction and it will still charge fine. This is very convenient as you can just throw it on there and start charging.

Cons:
1. Placement is a little tricky if you have a case on. As I mentioned above, it will indeed charge with cases on it, but so far I?ve had to reposition it a few times before it would begin charging. As long as you?re not too impatient, this isn?t that big of a deal. (Easier than having to take the case off)
2. Delivery time. This could go either way for some. 2 weeks is about normal for delivery from China and it sure beats paying a lot more elsewhere. Me being the impatient person I am, this falls under the con category.
3. As you can see in the pictures, the charging plate does not use a micro-usb for power. Again, this isn't that big of a deal just a minor inconvenience if you're traveling with it.

Bottom Line:
This is a great purchase in my opinion. If you're looking for an inexpensive way to take advantage of Qi wireless charging then I'd highly recommend this. I haven't had this very long and these are my first impressions, so I will post back with further comments on this review. As long as you don't mind waiting a couple weeks and aren't in a big rush while charging your phone, this is an awesome buy.

Thanks for reading! Hope I've helped somebody!:)

Pictures:
20130304_120736.jpg

20130304_120859.jpg

20130304_120937.jpg

20130304_120946.jpg

20130304_121026.jpg

20130304_121041.jpg

20130304_121100.jpg

20130304_121108.jpg

20130304_121153.jpg

phone.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of some of the pictures. I'll try to get better ones if needed.

Video Tutorial for VZW Note 2 Users:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this! I have the lg charging plate for my Nexus 4 and bought the qi receiver pad for my note 2. It is due to come in this week but we are out of town on spring break. Darn! I have the AT&T note 2 so I am looking forward to trying this out. The pad is similar to the one you have. Once I get it I will post some Pics on this thread. Although somewhat gimmicky, it is pretty cool to charge this way. Of course the Nexus 4 needs several "top offs" a day to keep up with the Note 2 battery.

Last edited:

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this! I have the lg charging plate for my Nexus 4 and bought the qi receiver pad for my note 2. It is due to come in this week but we are out of town on spring break. Darn! I have the AT&T note 2 so I am looking forward to trying this out. The pad is similar to the one you have. Once I get it I will post some Pics on this thread. Although somewhat gimmicky, it is pretty cool to charge this way. Of course the Nexus 4 needs several "top offs" a day to keep up with the Note 2 battery.

Haha no joke. Nexus 4 battery has nothing on the Note 2. I agree, wireless charging as a whole hasn't yet reached its full potential but I think in a year or so it'll be much more practical and useful. Loving it so far though, so can't wait to see what they come out with next!

SumthinNew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Since charging will technically still work when placing in "off" directions, would the plate be able to charge 2 devices at once...ex: a NoteII and a S3, side by side?

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
That is something I hope to try soon. I believe so though. I have another charging patch on the way for my girlfriend's s3.

Sent ala my Note Dos on Big Red

Last edited:

steve31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Found this micro charging clip for qi charging. Works well. I'm using it with the Energizer 2 position qi charger.
I bought the charging pad because I have the Nexus 4 and Lumia 920 so the charging clip comes in handy for the Note 2.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362677077165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362677077165.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Saw one of those on ebay. How much bulk does it add to the back of the device? Do you think it would work on a galaxy nexus? And also, link and price if you know it. Have been looking into getting one of these.

steve31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Saw one of those on ebay. How much bulk does it add to the back of the device? Do you think it would work on a galaxy nexus? And also, link and price if you know it. Have been looking into getting one of these.

Not much bulk. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362688084.917694.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362688132.317464.jpg

AZBrowncoat

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought the charging pad because I have the Nexus 4 and Lumia 920 so the charging clip comes in handy for the Note 2.

Heh...had a Lumia 920 and switched to the GN2. Was thinking about keeping my L920 but having a hard time justifying keeping it but loved the wireless charging. Just ordered this setup for my GN2 :D

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my receiver pad and popped it into my ATT Note 2 and it works fine. I have the LG-WCP-700 charging mat which I also use for my Nexus 4. Not sure yet how fast it will charge the note but this pad is a bit smaller than others so it fits easier under the cover with less bulk. You can see that I am charging it with my Samsung TPU case on. $15 bucks for the receiver pad if you already have a qi charger.

Attachments

• Note 2-4.jpg
    Note 2-4.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Note 2-3.jpg
    Note 2-3.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Note 2-2.jpg
    Note 2-2.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Note 2-1.jpg
    Note 2-1.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 59

destefmx6

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I notice some of the tags read 700mah, 800mah, or 1000 mah. Is there a benefit? will the 1000 charge faster?

Forget it: I looked closer, it's just stock images...the different ma #s were for different models....

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea for our phone the max it will allow is 500mah. Basically the same charging speed as a usb cable.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2