One handed use

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
How many people are actually able to use the phone with one hand in normal day to day operations? I feel like I should be using my non dominant hand and hunting and pecking with my dominant hand. Or the s pen.

For those that have had the phone for a while, what have you found to be the best way?

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried the one hand mode thing and I did not like it so I just started using the full keyboard one handed and it took me about a month to adjust. Now I have no problems with it but I also have very large hands xl golf glove (6' 5" 230)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't really referring to the one handed operation setting. I meant in general just using the phone. And I have small hands so it's kinda difficult.

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am able to use my phone pretty good with one hand my right hand more then my left. Left hand hurts a bit when I use it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I use my s pen mostly when I browse the Web or when I'm writing down notes

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use the flygrip, it helps a lot with one handed operation, and helps to reduce aching hands. Typing, I can do with one hand, with SwiftKey Flow, but not preferable. I usually check email or browse with one hand when doing something else

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I use Swype, one hand it all the time. Rest the back of my phone on my fingertips and can reach the entire screen with my right thumb.

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope, my hands are too small to be hefting it in one hand. Even with the keyboard in one-handed operation, it just leads to more mistakes. I've placed the apps on the screen in strategic places for if I'm driving and have to make a call, get directions, etc. But for other extensive use? No way.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I use it one handed quite a bit. The combination of the PT case-stand, which i pull out to use sort of like the flygrip, the ability to move the keyboard over for one handed use, and wave launcher makes it pretty easy to do. Also using S-voice more than I thought i would.

I have been using the pen to jot down quick notes and phone numbers, I have it set to that when the pen is pulled out, the notepad pops up so its ready to do.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I consistently use it one handed with one handed mode off on everything but calculator and dialer. I like the bigger portrait keyboard for texting. When I'm typing something long, I either use 2 hands portrait, S Pen handwriting, or flip it to landscape. Sometimes I do what you described: hold it left hand and use the screen with my right. But after 2 months with the phone, I'm very used to the size and have gotten good at gripping in one handed when reaching for the top left corner.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested as to why one-handed use is so important. Surely if you have both hands free you can use them? If you don't have both hands free then surely the phone can wait?
I'm not trying to be stupid but I can't see why people make such a fuss about devices being hard to use one-handed.

Tom :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I can do most everything with one hand if I have to, however, I use two hands most of the time. As others pointed out, most times I have two hands free. If I don't then the phone can wait. I have set things up so that I can get to the important apps or functions with one hand though. I tried the one handed function when I first got the phone and have not found the need to use it again. I am amazed at how I have adjusted to this phone.

If I'm typing out an email or text my favorite way is to hold the phone in my left hand and use swiftkey flow with my right or i just type with my thumbs. I also can't believe how much I like Flow. I never thought I would get good at swype and everyday I find myself using it more and more. I can even do that one handed now if needed. I do not have big hands.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested as to why one-handed use is so important. Surely if you have both hands free you can use them? If you don't have both hands free then surely the phone can wait?
I'm not trying to be stupid but I can't see why people make such a fuss about devices being hard to use one-handed.

Tom :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I use one handed operation when I carry my baby in one hand over my shoulder. Or sometimes when I want to check email while pushing the stroller

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't two hand it while I'm driving :rolleyes:

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network

Why not? Just drive with your thighs, calling and texting on one hand, and eating with the other hand. :p

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana